SeanyDogs13

In the Kennel
Sep 25, 2017
Wyndham Vale, Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool & Adelaide Strikers
Well here it is the long awaited third and final instalment of my alternate reality portfolio, I had upgraded my laptop during the time since Part 2 was finished, and I did lose some of my planned stuff, but hopefully as I can, I will upload more of this. Also I have changed the original idea from this being in 2040 to 2050.

The year is 2050, the Australian sporting landscape has dramatically shifted within the last 60 years. Domestic national competitions are thriving, the NRL now has 24 teams, the NBL has boomed into a ultra competitive 12 team league, The BBL has drawn in viewership numbers that have expanded their league to 10 and the A-league now has 24 teams competing across two divisions. All of this boosted in recent times by 2032 Olympics in South East Queensland and the 2038 Commonwealth Games in Perth and the impending 2050 Commonwealth Games in Sydney.

But enough about those other sports, The AFL has maintained it's status as "Australia's Favourite Sporting Competition". With attendances at high levels, and viewership on t.v and mobile devices reaching ridiculous numbers, the money involved with sponsorship and broadcast deals constantly climbing, all of the 24 AFL clubs have posted profits constantly which has allowed them set up state of the art training and administration facilities, as well as boosting funding for 'Next Generation Academies", and allowing the AFLW players to be paid 88 cents to the dollar of what their male counterparts earn to final turn the competition into a full professional league.

Looking at the how the landscape has changed since 1996, the NEIP's work has been incredibly successful, with them disbanding in 2020 after expanding the league to 26 teams (at the time), the game has grown to levels something that would have been laughed at in 1990.

Once the league has returned to be a 24 team national competition, the AFL decided to shake things up, by splitting the teams up into two 12-team conferences, much like the NFL. With that decision, the league underwent a full, top to bottom rebrand, with a more modern shield logo adopted much like the old VFL/AFL shield design pre 2000. The league also changed it's wordmark as well. The AFL's "New Shield" logo was to adopted by the 5 state leagues, a return to the 1998 Grand Final logo to used, as well special logos to be used in the ANZAC Round and Good Friday. It would be the first time the AFL would put each league's major sponsor in the logos on the jumpers with Toyota and NAB. 1614744431515.png

The AFL's decision to introduce conferences, it was determined that all 10 Victorian teams plus Canberra and Tasmania would be placed in the NFC, whilst all other clubs will make up the AFC. The league wanted to abolish any chance of an all-Victorian or all-Interstate Grand Final, in the hope that the premiership would be taking residency in all parts of the country. Also it has given the Grand Final a more of a "Super Bowl" feel to it.
Also.... can you spot the two new teams in the league.....?
1614745293931.png

The AFLW heads into 2050 with 20 teams. Whilst all 24 AFL teams were given the chance to have an AFLW team, 4 chose not to as they believed an AFLW team wouldn't be beneficial for club or league. As seen here Canberra has the unique distinction of having its AFL and AFLW teams competiting in seperate conferences.
Unlike the AFL where the top 6 in each division progress to the Finals, and play in conferences until the AFL Grand Final, the AFLW has it's ladder combined between the two conferences and have 1st-12th play finals. For an example if Carlton (NFC) finish in 1st they can take on GWS (4th in league, 2nd in AFC) in a Qualifying Final. However this hasn't stopped the premiership constantly changing residency year on year, with only 4 times a team has won 2 or more AFLW Premeirships in a row.
1614745706245.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back