Autopsy AFL news: Richmond dynasty under coach Damien Hardwick over after 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.
The 2 areas I would focus on would be:
1) Contested possessions (inc. clearances), we already have the players to be stronger in this area, and it would counter the need for relying too heavily on turnovers.
2) Kicking game. Just improve this a little, forward 45deg stuff as per the new rule, not the pointless sideways and backwards crap like '16.

Everything else keep the same '17-'20 energised version.
Also I'm not sure what happened to our tackling efficiency, at our best we applied vice like grips to the opposition, no way they would get the ball to the outside from a contested situation.

This season the opposition almost wanted us to tackle and encouraged us to send numbers to the contest and then simply wrestled out of the tackle and we were outnumbered 9 out of 10 times on the outside.

Not sure how we lost technique so quickly so can only put it down to physically tired older bodies and physically under developed younger ones.

Acknowledged. As long as Blair and Clarke know what they are doing. Dont get me wrong Dusty and the acquisition of Lynch has delivered us 3 cups however they are not getting any younger. Have no problem with Dusty however not sure if Lynch will get any better. Granted the delivery into F50 was sh*te this year however he looked like he was all at sea this season. It was great he chose us over Hawks and Collingwood but some will say this was because our offer was well over $1mil per year and that will be the knock on us if the dynasty has now ended. If we can get our ball movement back to what it was in 2017 then we will be well on our way but getting it right at the trade table and draft crucial. Having the best draft hand as it has been reported means the future is in our hands.
Lynch's average salary over the entire term is around $850-900k and probably less now that players negotiated a reduction for the covid salary cap decrease.
It was only towards the end of the term that his salary went over $1m per year.

Scott in his presser naturally was deflecting by saying they simply had an off game. We'll see in the next few weeks.

I am hoping it was more that the chip possession game (again - even with the rule changes) doesn't hold up in finals pressure. If they don't make the GF, with their list, surely the game plan is questioned. And Hocking can't now bring his new rule, 'you can't go within 5m of a player with the ball'. That would finally save the game style.

Fast in close handballs, keeping the ball on the move to release with unrelenting pressure when not In possession. Fast line breaking players with elite footskills are needed for release. The stand rule also helps these players as an overlap release.

To me, Rioli to the backline is the great move for this. Houli replacement fixed.

If we move more away from the chaos ball though, and to slick handballing fast movement, keeping our onewood, high pressure turnover, players like Macca and George become a liability. The system breaks down with poor decision making and disposal.

No doubt the game plan will be tweaked and practiced over the summer, with operations done early, plenty of time for a great start to 2022 with this list (with possibly a 1st gamer from the draft!).

Jess and Roach kicked 3 goals between them while Wiley and Bartlett kicked 10 between then. Cloke missed the other finals but kicked 5 in the GF. Jimmy Jess kicked goals from close to the centre...
'Jimmy Jess kicked goals from close to the centre...' a bit like Balta might.
Would be chaos watching Balta free to roam at CHF. Sure he is a safe bet at full back, but would be interesting to see what he could do.

Always thought it would have been good to see Rance play CHF with Jack. What a double act that would have been.

'Jimmy Jess kicked goals from close to the centre...' a bit like Balta might.
Would be chaos watching Balta free to roam at CHF. Sure he is a safe bet at full back, but would be interesting to see what he could do.

Always thought it would have been good to see Rance play CHF with Jack. What a double act that would have been.
I reckon he would kick goals playing CHB...

If they felt anything like I did after that game, I’m not surprised. Took me days to get over that one.

Some losses are harder to take than others
Im still tryinig to get over not playing finals and watch a revitalised Bomber outfit copy everything we do. They better get it right at that trade table. Dees look huge with lots of depth. All of a sudden Tigz feel exposed. Balta was a big loss. And the way the midfield played inexcusable. Need another decent defender and two decent mids.

During Friday nights game I noticed a tactic Port was using to increase pressure on the ball carrier and most notably, when they attempted to wheel and go. A player stood ten meters inboard, to the player standing on the mark. As soon as the opposition played on and attempted to run around the mark, both the player on the mark and the waiting player to the side, sandwiched him. The tactic pressured the kick and forced their disposals higher. Additionally, the standing player meant that other team mates couldn't run past to receive the ball and trying to take the short 45 degree pass was tougher to execute too.

I think it is a tactic that could stop oppositions ball movement through the corridor once again and force them high down the line. This will allow our turnover and pressure game to return and therefore our offensive ball movement and quick entries into our forwardline.
I don’t claim to be a footy tactician but I had considered this, but also wondered whether it then takes another player away from where he should be. I guess you have to weigh that up.

Another thing about that rule I don’t like is that this weekend 50’s have been given away by guys going through the protected area while trying to get on the mark. Surely you are allowed to man the mark!

This is on top of the constant delay from umpires in calling play on.

The rule was discussed and trialled at kitty litter park, the consultation with the rules committee happened, the committee consists of Gerard Whateley, Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield as a representative of the players, it was chaired by Steve Hocking , this was publicised at the end of 2020
Is this for real?

Was this the 'State of the Game' Committee?

Just realised a pattern over last 2 seasons that our worst footy has been played in covid ravaged MELB .
2020 before hub lurched from average to bloody ordinary , losses to haw saints , win v melb then off to hub
2021 hang in the season until r12 return to melb , joint like the zombie apocalypse and we re fkd with our best performance a W in Bris

Is this for real?

Was this the 'State of the Game' Committee?
It was at the end of 2019 there was an article in the age about it, and wankley was gushing on 360 they have since changed the members of the committee

Yeah as if we don't have enough grey areas in the rules. Now it's just crazy. Each umpire takes different time to call stand and play on resulting in players having no idea, terrible 50m penalties being called, etc. You can get an umpire that pings you for scratching your ass on the mark, or one that lets you do the grapevine 5m either way and back and forth before calling play-on. Some of them don't even tell stand half the time. Some don't call play on for 15 minutes until the blokes run the field, and others call play on the second you turn your head to look for options.
As long as Harris Andrews can still stand the mark and do his dumbass Pinnochio impersonations with his head flopping around, his gangly arms waving about, his tongue lolling around and his eyes crossed like a true leader, the game is in safe hands.

Last edited:
Agree. The chaos ball era is definitely over and if we try to bring that next year, we may not go too far. The game has evolved and RFC needs to evolve with it.
I keep faith in Dimma, hope he comes up with a new plan and succeeds.
Couldn't dissagree more. The two teams that play closest to our game style, Port and Melbourne both won through to prelims easily on the weekend. Super high pressure and intensity is what gets it done in finals, while Geelong's possession game fell apart yet again under pressure.

Essendon play our style and had a great season, when every pundit had them not even making finals.

We need time off to get a fit list together and a proper pre season, some growth from the younger players and an injection of perhaps a big strong A potential mid and some ready to go kids from the draft. With an easier draw next year we will be ready to smash right back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern is that we clearly aren't suited to a chip it around gameplan focused on high uncontested possession. Our key strength remains rebounding on turnover, but with teams being able to flood back and through the corridor, that has become difficult to sustain.

Funnily enough, I think a return to our 2015 gameplan may work, but it will require an overhaul in personnel to focus on winning contested ball.
This game plan is destined to fail in finals. High possession chip chip chippety chip rubbish falls apart the moment you go one on one instead of guarding a zone and when you apply 200+ pressure.

We would be mad to go down this stupid fools gold road. The wrinkles on Chris Scott's forehead right now tell you he may finally be working out the competitions best kept secret now too.

How do you beat the Cats ? Don't let them play their high possession game, stick your tackles and apply huge pressure. Game over.

Last edited:
Couldn't dissagree more. The two teams that play closest to our game style, Port and Melbourne both won through to prelims easily on the weekend. Super high pressure and intensity is what gets it done in finals, while Geelong's possession game fell apart yet again under pressure.

Essendon play our style and had a great season, when every pundit had them not even making finals.

We need time off to get a fit list together and a proper pre season, some growth from the younger players and an injection of perhaps a big strong A potential mid and some ready to go kids from the draft. With an easier draw next year we will be ready to smash right back in.

I don't disagree but you are ignoring one important thing which is age. The core of Port & melbourne are in their prime and full of energy like we were from 2017-20. Now our core is 30+ and cannot perform at the level every week. to think otherwise is being naïve.

Our younger players are not there yet and there is a gap which will show next year if we don't adapt. In 2017, we changed the way we play to suit the players and we need to do the same in 2022

I don't disagree but you are ignoring one important thing which is age. The core of Port & melbourne are in their prime and full of energy like we were from 2017-20. Now our core is 30+ and cannot perform at the level every week. to think otherwise is being naïve.

Our younger players are not there yet and there is a gap which will show next year if we don't adapt. In 2017, we changed the way we play to suit the players and we need to do the same in 2022
I hear what you're saying. Our core is older but I still think there's a good season in them given rest and a good preseason. We were just cooked this season but we never rolled over. That tells me the club is still hungry.

I agreed we need to change up some things but they're subtle changes rather than a new game plan and hopefully the awful chip chip possession rubbish is just to change the tempo of a game occasionally and not our new (Geelong) gamestyle. Yuk.

Ports list is not really in their prime, getting on a bit. Key players much the same, if anything older.

Jonas 30, Grimes 30. Grey and Boak both 33, Cotchin and Edwards 30 and 32. Clurey and Vlastuin both 27. Lycett 28, Nank 27. Dixon 30, Lynch 28. Allir 26, Broad 28 or Balta 21.

They have younger key forwards that is all, but Marshall is just okay and Georgiades is more like a 3rd tall.

They might have a bigger core of young players, perhaps a year further on in that respect, but Bolton, Stack and Balta have huge upsides still.

Port are equal flag favourites, so we are not that far off, a good injury run will help. Port have hardly had a player down all year, likewise Melbourne.

I think the hunger issue is spot on. We patched up a side all year and never got rolling. Reckon in some way even the players probably didn't mind missing the finals this year.

Ports list is not really in their prime, getting on a bit. Key players much the same, if anything older.

Jonas 30, Grimes 30. Grey and Boak both 33, Cotchin and Edwards 30 and 32. Clurey and Vlastuin both 27. Lycett 28, Nank 27. Dixon 30, Lynch 28. Allir 26, Broad 28 or Balta 21.

They have younger key forwards that is all, but Marshall is just okay and Georgiades is more like a 3rd tall.

They might have a bigger core of young players, perhaps a year further on in that respect, but Bolton, Stack and Balta have huge upsides still.

Port are equal flag favourites, so we are not that far off, a good injury run will help. Port have hardly had a player down all year, likewise Melbourne.

I think the hunger issue is spot on. We patched up a side all year and never got rolling. Reckon in some way even the players probably didn't mind missing the finals this year.

imo hunger, age & injuries all are interconnected. If we didn't win 3 flags, the same core of 30+ would put in the extra effort to get there. As players reach the 30+ age, body starts to take longer to recover, need more rest and become prone to injury.

I hope i am wrong but i feel we need to tweak some things to make the most of our stars. Blood some new talent in the 24-28 age bracket, draft new kids and continue development of our own kids.

imo hunger, age & injuries all are interconnected. If we didn't win 3 flags, the same core of 30+ would put in the extra effort to get there. As players reach the 30+ age, body starts to take longer to recover, need more rest and become prone to injury.

I hope i am wrong but i feel we need to tweak some things to make the most of our stars. Blood some new talent in the 24-28 age bracket, draft new kids and continue development of our own kids.
Yes I think we cannot rely on Cotchin and Riewoldt, the only two that are really on the wane. strange thing to say for a bloke who kicked 50+ goals. Edwards still has zip, but carried injuries.

Next year would like to see Ross given a real go in the midfield, at the expense of Cotchin, and Balta a go at CHF and Miller a go a FB. That might freshen up the old blokes and give the young ones the feeling of belonging and not always fighting for their spot.

The only way to bring in a 24-28 year old is to trade in for a A grader. No point otherwise because the young players just get set back further, and you run the risk of losing them and it is not worth it in the end. Pickett was a bit of a one off, but with so few players off the list and such a good draft hand, don't think we will be bringing in any new players outside of A grade or draft.

Yes I think we cannot rely on Cotchin and Riewoldt, the only two that are really on the wane. strange thing to say for a bloke who kicked 50+ goals. Edwards still has zip, but carried injuries.

Next year would like to see Ross given a real go in the midfield, at the expense of Cotchin, and Balta a go at CHF and Miller a go a FB. That might freshen up the old blokes and give the young ones the feeling of belonging and not always fighting for their spot.

The only way to bring in a 24-28 year old is to trade in for a A grader. No point otherwise because the young players just get set back further, and you run the risk of losing them and it is not worth it in the end. Pickett was a bit of a one off, but with so few players off the list and such a good draft hand, don't think we will be bringing in any new players outside of A grade or draft.

Yep, A grader or at the very least B+ like Prestia. if we end up just drafting kids that's fine too it just means 2022 will be another development year and we land an A grader in 2022 when some more of our stars will retire and free up cap space.

When we recruited him in 2016 he was a B+ grader. Has been an A grader for RFC since but imo he is a rung below the likes of wines, petracca Bont etc
Good case for Bont, Oliver, Petracca and Wines to be A+ as they are the standout mids. Prestia at full fitness sits in the top 8-15 mids in the comp for me, so that is A grade. Under-rated I think as his impact on games is overlooked by the quite way he goes about it. Have you ever seen Prestia go backwards/sideways with a handball, like Edwards every touch is forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back