Autopsy AFL news: Richmond dynasty under coach Damien Hardwick over after 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. We have to change and adapt to the landscape put in front of us. There were some clear examples of where we did and it worked. Crows game for example, Bombers. We needed to maintain possession and creep it forward because under this disgraceful stand rule oppos would just fold back into our forward line, or a kick ahead of the ball. It meant that the chaos ball invariably went to an outnumber and the turnover then hurts on the way back.
I hope and pray a 50m penalty gets paid at a crucial time in a final when the guy on the mark moves his toe nail. It's an out and out disgrace and hopefully someone other than us gets pinged badly and whinges appropriately.
It's horrible to watch. Tell me it doesn't look like soccer where they pass backwards and sideways because the oppo is all in the attacking half of the ground.
Will kill footy. But it will be a long slow death because we are all rusted on tribes and support no matter what. Wait til the ratings for non big clubs fall to zero because the neutrals refuse to watch.

Drop off in ratings is the only thing that will get the AFL to change the stand rule. Don't watch and let their overlords know why.

Drop off in ratings is the only thing that will get the AFL to change the stand rule. Don't watch and let their overlords know why.

Already have mate. I give games 15 minutes these days...and if they start that chippity chip crap I'm out of there.
For the sake of the sport I hope the finals are good footy, but we really do need a major controversy around this stand rule to get rid of it. Thankfully it won't be us, but wouldn't it be fun to see Salty Scotts face when Danger gives away 50 cos he cribs 5cm over the mark?

We should be fine, the players will recharge over the long break and the coaches will tweak the strat slightly to account for the new rules, our ageing stars have at least another good season left in them imo.
I would like to see our forward half stacked with marking players next season. Balta at CHF and roving all over the place. Lynch as the next highest, he's difficult to match up on when he moves around, Jack as the third tall and CCJ as second ruck resting forward giving Lynch and Jack a chop out. Kick it in long and fast, and back your marking players. It would cut out the flooding back and crowding our forward line.

This would cut out players like Lever leaving his man, because if they do you go to their men. Even Bolton and Stack can mark the ball (if Stack goes forward). Reckon it is time to go back to a bit of traditional Richmond forward line, i.e 1980 Roach, Jess and Cloke.

We need to adjust to the impact of the stand rule (+ kick out and interchange). These rule changes have taken away our ability to apply constant pressure and grind teams into the ground.

With the stand rule you cannot stop easy 15m forward passes (well 8+ really). So that means teams can just take our pressure away whilst they have the ball 60+ meters out. So we have to adjust. We'll have to chip chip. But I reckon there will be ways of applying pressure and breaking the game up that we haven't seen yet. It'll be interesting to see what we do in 2022. This year our coaches basically didn't work it out, and injuries cruelled our ability to play consistently.

I do wonder what the new AFL footy boss will do. Usually a new boss wants to chuck out the old stuff and mark their own place. SHocking makes that easy. Game is slower and scores lower than for decades. Therefore use sophisticated statistical analysis to make changes - i.e. watch the game and just look at scores etc. "Ah yeah Gil, SHocking did a great job, but the game has evolved in ways that weren't expected. What we need to do is cut some of the rule changes and institute some other ones of my genius." .... "What's that? Geelong might be disadvantaged by some of this. Maybe, could be. But, well you know Gil, we've go to speed the game up and walking frames tend to slow it down. Yep, maybe we should add some chaos into the game to make it more exciting and allow teams to break the game open. .... You know there are 5 days before the season starts plenty of time to work through some new rules and institute them the day before the opening round. It's a tradition now."

We should be fine, the players will recharge over the long break and the coaches will tweak the strat slightly to account for the new rules, our ageing stars have at least another good season left in them imo.
I agree - recharge and go again - certainly need a few tweaks but nothing fundamental. Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater

The players this year were clearly off this year, they were missing the one-touch plays, simple handballs were missing targets and making some bad decisions and turn overs - so the confidence started to fade - in themselves and their teammates. I think we were trying some different games styles as well - which definitley threw the players off. Confidence is key with our game style (and prob modern footy in general) as when we're playing well we anticipate turnovers and run forward - when we dont have confidence we are half a step off which is all it takes.

Last edited:
Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater
Agreed.
The 2 areas I would focus on would be:
1) Contested possessions (inc. clearances), we already have the players to be stronger in this area, and it would counter the need for relying too heavily on turnovers.
2) Kicking game. Just improve this a little, forward 45deg stuff as per the new rule, not the pointless sideways and backwards crap like '16.

Everything else keep the same '17-'20 energised version.

Ok, I'll bite
Who should we get as coach then?

And don't say Clarkson, he's not going to knife his good mate in the back and take his job
Buckley - more of a tactician and thinker than Dimma. When the box is stripped of good assistants, and you need a senior coach who can take on a large part of the tactical game planning stuff, I’d say Bucks is a pretty good option.

Go on. I await all of your scorn 🤣

Buckley - more of a tactician and thinker than Dimma. When the box is stripped of good assistants, and you need a senior coach who can take on a large part of the tactical game planning stuff, I’d say Bucks is a pretty good option.

Go on. I await all of your scorn 🤣

when you say “tactician” what do you actually mean.
examples?

The constant with the two winning pre lims are the ball winning mids , Clayton Oliver , wines, we need that type , heck they get more ball in an arvo than most of ours over a fortnight . I’d expect that’s numero uno in our plans

Port Adelaide played last night exactly how the Tigers had been. High intensity, high pressure, forward handballs and last but not least they lost the centre clearances (I don't think they won 1 centre clearance in the 1st three quarters) and clearances overall but really nailed Geelong on their post clearance possessions.

Richmond game plan to a tee!!

The Tigers have established a game plan that stands up in most circumstances but particularly in finals (and particularly against Geelong) Port has shown us that our game will overcome the stand rule with a few minor tweaks

I would like to see our forward half stacked with marking players next season. Balta at CHF and roving all over the place. Lynch as the next highest, he's difficult to match up on when he moves around, Jack as the third tall and CCJ as second ruck resting forward giving Lynch and Jack a chop out. Kick it in long and fast, and back your marking players. It would cut out the flooding back and crowding our forward line.

This would cut out players like Lever leaving his man, because if they do you go to their men. Even Bolton and Stack can mark the ball (if Stack goes forward). Reckon it is time to go back to a bit of traditional Richmond forward line, i.e 1980 Roach, Jess and Cloke.
Jess played centre half back but moved to forward line in the GF. Stephen Mount took his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide played last night exactly how the Tigers had been. High intensity, high pressure, forward handballs and last but not least they lost the centre clearances (I don't think they won 1 centre clearance in the 1st three quarters) and clearances overall but really nailed Geelong on their post clearance possessions.

The Tigers have established a game plan that stands up in most circumstances but particularly in finals (and particularly against Geelong) Port has shown us that our game will overcome the stand rule with a few minor tweaks
That chip and chip gave never cuts it in finals, finals pressure is too great. The side with the cleanest hands and fastest ball movement nearly always win.

Yes, but he kicked 175 goals so he was no stranger to the forward line. 3 pronged attack in that finals series was very potent.
Jess and Roach kicked 3 goals between them while Wiley and Bartlett kicked 10 between then. Cloke missed the other finals but kicked 5 in the GF. Jimmy Jess kicked goals from close to the centre..

Last edited:

During Friday nights game I noticed a tactic Port was using to increase pressure on the ball carrier and most notably, when they attempted to wheel and go. A player stood ten meters inboard, to the player standing on the mark. As soon as the opposition played on and attempted to run around the mark, both the player on the mark and the waiting player to the side, sandwiched him. The tactic pressured the kick and forced their disposals higher. Additionally, the standing player meant that other team mates couldn't run past to receive the ball and trying to take the short 45 degree pass was tougher to execute too.

I think it is a tactic that could stop oppositions ball movement through the corridor once again and force them high down the line. This will allow our turnover and pressure game to return and therefore our offensive ball movement and quick entries into our forwardline.

when you say “tactician” what do you actually mean.
examples?
Simple a non-tactician is a coach who sits in a box and scratches their head also known as a bad game coach. A tactician is one that jumps up and down in the box smashes walls screams and makes changes he is known as a Tactician.

Dont know how we are going to get decent top end talent in when Dusty and Lynch are on heavily back ended seven year deals
Hasn't stopped GWS Geelong so on just got to sux up to the AFL. A few dollars under the counter wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, the problem is their skills are way better than ours and were able to adjust our game plan.

During Friday nights game I noticed a tactic Port was using to increase pressure on the ball carrier and most notably, when they attempted to wheel and go. A player stood ten meters inboard, to the player standing on the mark. As soon as the opposition played on and attempted to run around the mark, both the player on the mark and the waiting player to the side, sandwiched him. The tactic pressured the kick and forced their disposals higher. Additionally, the standing player meant that other team mates couldn't run past to receive the ball and trying to take the short 45 degree pass was tougher to execute too.

I think it is a tactic that could stop oppositions ball movement through the corridor once again and force them high down the line. This will allow our turnover and pressure game to return and therefore our offensive ball movement and quick entries into our forwardline.

I think a better tactic would be to pressure for the removal of the standing the mark rule and kicking out from 50 metres from the goalsquare. It’s a joke and embarrassing for a game that was once a competitive showpiece. And some of the s**t skills on display in these finals and I am worried about the game.

Thought Dusty was front ended, and the two basically cancel each other out with Dusty's contract tailing off at the same time as Lynch's ramping up.

Acknowledged. As long as Blair and Clarke know what they are doing. Dont get me wrong Dusty and the acquisition of Lynch has delivered us 3 cups however they are not getting any younger. Have no problem with Dusty however not sure if Lynch will get any better. Granted the delivery into F50 was shite this year however he looked like he was all at sea this season. It was great he chose us over Hawks and Collingwood but some will say this was because our offer was well over $1mil per year and that will be the knock on us if the dynasty has now ended. If we can get our ball movement back to what it was in 2017 then we will be well on our way but getting it right at the trade table and draft crucial. Having the best draft hand as it has been reported means the future is in our hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back