Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it been accepted by the club? I hope not, take it to the courts and heap more negativity on those who run the game. Put them squarely under the media spotlight again, watch them squirm and settle out of court. F c k them all. I hope this is rejected by our club and it blows up in the media. Would love a big name player to say that he wants to come to sydney and can't because of these bullshit restrictions, let's see how the AFL reacts then.

The club has accepted it and considers it case closed, its done.

Has it been accepted by the club? I hope not, take it to the courts and heap more negativity on those who run the game. Put them squarely under the media spotlight again, watch them squirm and settle out of court. F c k them all. I hope this is rejected by our club and it blows up in the media. Would love a big name player to say that he wants to come to sydney and can't because of these bullshit restrictions, let's see how the AFL reacts then.

Harley says the issue is now closed.

Its a pretty s**t compromise but if the club have agreed to it then I'm sure they have their reasons. We may very well have worked out who we want and had them agree to an amount below 450 for all we know. No point fighting it if we don't need to.

450 is enough for a decent, ready made player and even with Jetta leaving, Goodes and Shaw retiring etc I doubt we'd have much room to move as far as the cap goes next season anyway. For all we know 450 may be all we can use.

Yep..... 450k is plenty for a player that WANTS to be a blood! That's what we want.

Having said that.... the AFL is a dictatorship..... the game needs somebody like the late Kerry Packer to come along and fund a rebel league a la World Series Cricket, and allow Gil and his dicks to look after his parasitic Vic franchises

I would have thought with all the outs and retirements from the last 2 years and effectively only rookies coming in we would be pretty freed up with salary cap space for the 2016 trade period?

Can we lose 3 players on good money like goodes, shaw and jetta and replace them with 1 player of the modest salary of 1.35mill a year?

No. I think from what I have read the upper limit for one player was stated at 450k. We would just be able to bring in 3 players

Opposition fans actually whinging, give me a spell

I think they genuinely think we're salary cap cheats. Kind of like how most of us see *, except we didn't inject our players with anything or break any rules. It's ridiculous I know, but it is what is.

Anyway I am with swansfan51 on this, as much as I think it's a joke, there's nothing more we can do about it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they genuinely think we're salary cap cheats. Kind of like how most of us see *, except we didn't inject our players with anything or break any rules. It's ridiculous I know, but it is what is.

Anyway I am with swansfan51 on this, as much as I think it's a joke, there's nothing more we can do about it now.

Yep im glad club challenged it, they did what they could, we have no excuse not to manage the list

We all know the bs around it, but yeah its over

$350k is more than two thirds of the players in the AFL are on. I'm sure there is someone in that list of over 500 players that we can look at.

If you believe the contracts Buddy, Tippett and Reid are on then our average must be well below the 350k on our list

Plenty of scope to work with

We will never lose that stigma thanks to a certain few high profile individuals

The AFL had to give some concession or end up with a mess in the courts. What worried them is that the Swans premiership window is clearly open (face it, we'd have won the qualifying final if we didn't lose 5 of our best players) and with some luck would have been sitting in the prelim, in form, rested and waiting to slaughter an opponent.

The AFL are hoping the window closes before we can boost our ranks but, perversely, our injuries have given us the chance to unearth some home grown talent and feed them on a hi-growth diet of finals footy. I think we'll struggle to go all the way this year through lack of depth, but even as we struggle we reach deep into the bag and drag out new depth from bit players.

I believe the 450K will be spent on replacing Jetta, who seems gone already. Goodes may need to go another year (if he stays fit) as there's no-one we'll get for 350k who could do his job better. Shaw's loss will hurt but we have some options, especially Jones who could continue to grow into the role, and AJ may finally come back in next year to boost our tall defenders. Heeney will only get better. BJ has shown more this year. Rose looks likely and should get more game time next year. We have a deep enough and talented midfield group, with upside for further improvement. Tippet seems to have put his woes behind him. Rohan would hope to find consistent form next year. Towers has shown more than a glimpse of potential and our leaders still have some of their best years ahead of them.

So f*&k you AFL. We're not done yet. The pan-generational juggernaut that is the Sydney Swans rolls on, despite your crude and transparent attempts to derail us. Long after the Hawks have slunk to the bottom for another decade we'll still be in your face and raiding your trophy cabinet.

Probably should of gone harder last year then instead of the pathetic acceptance.

Head office would have pulled harder on the Academies lever which is why I think Swans kept the powder dry. Also got them to clarify their stance and state truths even though it did seem hollow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back