Game Day AFL on Viasat in Russia

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm currently in Russia and flicked through the channels on the TV to see AFL not only being broadcast, but with Russian commentary. Curious about what games are broadcast live on viasat in Russia or if it is only replays? Would love to watch our game this saturday on a tv rather than listen to radio commentary on the phone

Ild take the russian commentary then trying to understand Basil

Buut thats actually kind of sick.
It is actually a lot better than listening to Bruce, BT and co

Hey! I haven't heard of Visat before but I know that Eurosport 2 shows it in Russia sometimes. I googled it, but couldn't find a schedule for Eurosport 2 unfortunately. There's also the option to pay $20 for a weekly pass on the watchafl.afl.com.au website. Have been using it for the last few years and it works well with a decent wifi connection. Well worth the money.

Fun fact - I actually commentated a few AFL games for Eurosport Russia ;)

I'm currently in Russia and flicked through the channels on the TV to see AFL not only being broadcast, but with Russian commentary. Curious about what games are broadcast live on viasat in Russia or if it is only replays? Would love to watch our game this saturday on a tv rather than listen to radio commentary on the phone

You using a SIM card over there etc or just relying on wifi? Going over soon and assessing options!

You using a SIM card over there etc or just relying on wifi? Going over soon and assessing options!
SIM Card. Found out the plan I was on didn't have $5 a day roaming in Russia

Why not just subscribe to WatchAFL for a month? All you can eat, including the Fox Footy channel 24x7! I watch it at home on my TV, on my laptop, on my phone, anywhere. It's awesome!
https://www.watchafl.com.au
Here for the world cup, so here for 2-4 weeks

That’s for general phone usage I mean

Telstra have a deal where you pay $10 a day for some calls and texts and a bunch of data per day. When you use up all that data then they charge $10 for an extra 500MB. It’s a lot more expensive than buying a simcard in-country, but if you’re not going to be there for long then it’s convenient. I think Optus and / or Vodaphone have a similar deal.

I used this recently (a month ago) in Russia and it worked OK. Reception east of Moscow was a little flakey but it was enough to check emails and news occasionally.

Slightly off topic, but I remember when I was in the Ukraine in 2010, there was a Coca Cola billboard being used to advertise the upcoming World Cup. However, the background image used was a panorama of the MCG from either the 2005 or 2006 Grand Final. I'll dig up the photos when I get home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better late than never

YnWrK4Z.jpg

A closeup of a bus stop version.

PHD8joz.jpg

Telstra have a deal where you pay $10 a day for some calls and texts and a bunch of data per day. When you use up all that data then they charge $10 for an extra 500MB. It’s a lot more expensive than buying a simcard in-country, but if you’re not going to be there for long then it’s convenient. I think Optus and / or Vodaphone have a similar deal.

I used this recently (a month ago) in Russia and it worked OK. Reception east of Moscow was a little flakey but it was enough to check emails and news occasionally.

Cheers for that. I’ll be there for two weeks, reckon it’s worth it? Was thinking either Telstra or Vodafone

Cheers for that. I’ll be there for two weeks, reckon it’s worth it? Was thinking either Telstra or Vodafone

If you’re old school, it’s no big deal to pay the approx $140 for two weeks to still be contactable on your Aussie number. It’s easy, you don’t have to frig around with simcards and swapping them in/out.

If you’re a digital citizen, then just get a simcard in-country. I saw somebody else do it, I don’t remember how much they paid but it was very cheap for a lot of data.

You can do both. The Telstra fee only gets charged each day they detect you’re in another country. If you take the simcard out (or leave the phone off for the day) then you won’t get charged.

I know Vodafone does $5 a day roaming. Also google Simcorner, a simcard which you can buy here to use in Europe, 12GB data + calls/text for 30 days for $40 I think.

My life will only be truly complete when we have Spanish/Catalan commentators.

ENCARA BUDDY ENCARA BUDDY ENCARA BUDDY ENCARA BUDDY GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL.

Repeat anywhere from 1-13 times per game.

Another factor to consider ...

... when you do the Telstra deal, it works as a VPN back to Australia. Which can be handy is you’re travelling to somewhere that censors the internet (eg China, I didn’t notice it was a problem in Russia) but it can be a pain at times (Google thinks I’m in Aus )

Why not just subscribe to WatchAFL for a month? All you can eat, including the Fox Footy channel 24x7! I watch it at home on my TV, on my laptop, on my phone, anywhere. It's awesome!
https://www.watchafl.com.au

I can vouch for watchafl.com.au. Works well, all shows, you can turn scores off and watch from start due to time difference and being asleep. You can download or watch live.

I was watching the WC Spain v Iran game the other night in a bar and was so disgusted with the diving and cheating and all players trying to bullshit the ref I pulled my I pad and plugs out and watched the Tigers Geelong replay.

When I wanted to watch the Adelaide v Dees match a few weeks ago I got a (free) "foxtel now" trial, which lasts weeks. Obviously I cancelled as soon as the match was over. Not sure if this will work for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back