Opinion AFL or AFLM?

AFL or AFLM?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the AFLW exists, some are beginning to refer to the AFL as AFLM, as if there needs to be a differentiation, i.e. "both men and women play in the AFL - women play AFLW and men play AFLM".

What do you think? Are you happy to call it AFLM, or is it bullshit?

Well you could follow the wheelchair dudes who are the VWFL to distinguish themselves from the VFLW, and go for something like the AMFL The Australian Men’s Football League. But then Mason Cox would not be allowed to play because he is not an Australian man. So I suppose you could call it the A&TMFL The Australian and Texan Men’s Football League. But then I guess you are not accounting for players like Zach Touhy and Majak Daw and Shane Savage. So it could be I suppose the ATNZI&SMFL and you just add or subtract a letter or letters as appropriate if you get say an eskimo start playing or if the last Australian male retires from the sport. Perhaps something snappier like the Male Inclusive Football League, or MILF for short.

It is a very good question RATDisco.

Last edited:

I am going with “who gives a crap?”.

The AFL name itself is sufficient in order to refer to the men’s league but if some people want to call it AFLM then whatever. In swimming, people call it the men's breaststroke or the women’s breaststroke. In leagues like the EPL, NBA and the NFL though, you don’t need “M” to refer to the men’s league and this is what the AFL is like.

Whatever floats people’s boat

AFLP (aflpeople) for both leagues

gays lesbians transvestites and whatever else all included under the one banner

cant say aflm or afl for afl or aflw for aflw . everything to become aflpeople

AFLP (aflpeople) for both leagues

gays lesbians transvestites and whatever else all included under the one banner

cant say aflm or afl for afl or aflw for aflw . everything to become aflpeople
Hannah mounicely likes this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that the AFLW exists, some are beginning to refer to the AFL as AFLM, as if there needs to be a differentiation, i.e. "both men and women play in the AFL - women play AFLW and men play AFLM".

What do you think? Are you happy to call it AFLM, or is it bullshit?
It's BS!
Only men play in the AFL, AFLW is a separate league, and probably should be run separately because the AFL will always put the needs of the mens league first, as they should! But thats another debate entirely! 😊

Trite harsh! I admit when I'm wrong, and I'm a women! 😏

I know you are a woman Meli, and I can assure you, I have never once even imagined you to be wrong! 😂

I tell you what, I am so bad with women, I bought a book at an airport once called “How to be a Husband” by Tim Dowling. My favourite chapter is Chapter 4: How to be Wrong. In this chapter the author gives a very good explanation as to why it is important for men to be wrong....and women to be right. So there is science behind my remark. :)

You’re kiddng aren’t you , what other sport in the world do women compete against men. ?

Well, tennis. Think Mixed duos.

But in horse doping racing the cake is probably taken. Female jockeys compete against male jockeys. Female trainers compete against male trainers. Female punters compete against male bookmakers. Male punters compete against female bookmakers. Female horses even compete against male horses. But by extension, female jockeys compete against male trainers, and horses, female trainers compete against male horses and jockeys as well and so on....so yeah, since you asked, horse racing.

I know you are a woman Meli, and I can assure you, I have never once even imagined you to be wrong! 😂

I tell you what, I am so bad with women, I bought a book at an airport once called “How to be a Husband” by Tim Dowling. My favourite chapter is Chapter 4: How to be Wrong. In this chapter the author gives a very good explanation as to why it is important for men to be wrong....and women to be right. So there is science behind my remark. :)
Haha....oh no, was the author a man? 😬

EDIT: I can very much get it wrong, just like everyone else on the planet!

WTF is AFLM? LOL when did this become a thing?
Seems some people are getting their knickers in a twist over cross promotion and some have then suggested that to solve the problem you need to add the M to show when you're talking about the men's game.

Back