AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point. Makes you wonder why the Suns and Giants were approved, though. Were the Lions and Swans in a better financial state when the decisions were made? Or perhaps it was the extra broadcast $$$, market capture size potential, and one game per week in NSW and QLD that saw them met positively by the club presidents.
You’ve literally answered it. GC and Sydney are massive growth potentials for the AFL. Made sense to go there first in front of Tasmania who is already a captive market. One game a week in QLD and Sydney is a great recipe. The suns were just run diabolically from the start but have got their s**t together now off field. Just need some onfield success

Good point. Makes you wonder why the Suns and Giants were approved, though. Were the Lions and Swans in a better financial state when the decisions were made? Or perhaps it was the extra broadcast $$$, market capture size potential, and one game per week in NSW and QLD that saw them met positively by the club presidents.

the league had the money to do a bold expansion, and sold everyone on the potential that expansion would have in exposure, finance, participation. I still think it was a smart play, but quite poorly executed. There hasnt really been any accountability for those in charge of either clubs formative years.

You’ve literally answered it. GC and Sydney are massive growth potentials for the AFL. Made sense to go there first in front of Tasmania who is already a captive market. One game a week in QLD and Sydney is a great recipe. The suns were just run diabolically from the start but have got their s**t together now off field. Just need some onfield success
Agreed.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense to add a third team to NSW or QLD unless they see both clubs doing well off the field, and even then, by that stage you could use the same argument used against WA3 which is that they're a captive market.

So either a captive market that doesn't have a full-time team (Tasmania, arguably Canberra, NT will be too small for a long time), or a new untapped market that doesn't have a team (NZ) would make the most sense for future expansion sides.

I've always reverted back to the idea of NQ (guess you could say I'm with Demetriou on this) because I'm confident that they wouldn't have the same "Who would support them?" problem that a WA3, SA3, or NSW3 would.

So the Ausplay survey has really good portals that you can assess (at least the surveyed) results through

Queensland wide club participation amongst 5 to 14 year olds:

Soccer has 14.4%
League 7%
Aus Football 4.5%

In South East Queensland LGAs

Soccer 15.3%
League 5.7%
Football 4.7%

So doesn't help with the growth but it does suggest a marginal skew to SEQ in overall numbers.

The suns and giants are a significant expense for the AFL, however that is by AFL standards isn't it? Whereby the cost to field a team is significantly more than every other sport in Australia.

If you put the two clubs into any other sporting competition in Australia, they would be doing ok I thought. That's a more accurate comparison to run I think, comparing them to other sporting clubs in their local markets.

Aussie in exile I posted a link in the previous page that breaks down some auskick qld numbers and where some of that growth has apparently come from.

Very solid crowd at the Gabba. 30k seems like a near possibility.

50k at the NRL most likely for the Brisbane derby but the Lions fans have done an admirable job to pack out the Gabba rather nicely with only the stands on the top tier left of screen noticeably empty.

Very solid crowd at the Gabba. 30k seems like a near possibility.

50k at the NRL most likely for the Brisbane derby but the Lions fans have done an admirable job to pack out the Gabba rather nicely with only the stands on the top tier left of screen noticeably empty.

Ideally they wouldn't have gone head-to-head with the derby, but it's a good litmus test.

The derby is an historic event, and even though it's sold out, many who didn't get tickets will be sure to watch it on TV.

But a healthy Gabba crowd shows that despite the enormity of the derby, a sizeable chunk of Brisbane has AFL as their number 1 sport.

The suns and giants are a significant expense for the AFL, however that is by AFL standards isn't it? Whereby the cost to field a team is significantly more than every other sport in Australia.

If you put the two clubs into any other sporting competition in Australia, they would be doing ok I thought. That's a more accurate comparison to run I think, comparing them to other sporting clubs in their local markets.

Aussie in exile I posted a link in the previous page that breaks down some auskick qld numbers and where some of that growth has apparently come from.

You do realise the suns and the giants bring in more then they lose. All it means is clubs like saints and Norf don’t get as big a cut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise the suns and the giants bring in more then they lose. All it means is clubs like saints and Norf don’t get as big a cut

No I don't realise that, they bring in annually 18 mill themselves, the AFL sends them 24 mill.

If you are referring to tv money, regardless of who they brought into the comp that payment would have come in, it was for the 9th game, not because the teams were from gws and gc which barely rate.

No I don't realise that, they bring in annually 18 mill themselves, the AFL sends them 24 mill.

If you are referring to tv money, regardless of who they brought into the comp that payment would have come in, it was for the 9th game, not because the teams were from gws and gc which barely rate.

Seriously mate this thread literally discusses The growth of the game especially in SE QLD. The AFL is not for profit so they have to dispense funds. Suns giants add an extra game and more eye balls on tv. They pay for themselves by just surviving

Seriously mate this thread literally discusses The growth of the game especially in SE QLD. The AFL is not for profit so they have to dispense funds. Suns giants add an extra game and more eye balls on tv. They pay for themselves by just surviving

I thought you were referring to money when you said 'they bring in more than they lose', which is incorrect. I agree they grow the game and are a worthwhile loss leader, in particular the suns, despite the AFL stuffing their introduction.

Where exactly was that lesson in all this?

The lesson appears to be "i dont like the facts as presented, it would be nice if someone could find some i like".
FACTS are independent links
Not my cousins wife sisters brother in law son told me.
Unless you can prove something with an independent link it means Jack ####
I'm surprised you being a Mod you don't ask for an independent link when claims are made

FACTS are independent links

You have no facts either. Theres no requirement for links to be independent just because you dont believe the AFL.

Not my cousins wife sisters brother in law son told me.

Anecdotal evidence or personal experience is relevant if not actual proof.

Unless you can prove something with an independent link it means Jack ####

You dont have to be here.

I'm surprised you being a Mod you don't ask for an independent link when claims are made

Im surprised you think I give a damn about your surprise.

Its a forum not a thesis. Onus is on you to disprove claims you disagree with.

Its close, but they are under by a couple of million each over the journey. Enough that its justifiable through game promotion and other funding.

And this is true,

Last edited:
Wrote this on the main AFL data thread but thought it belonged here too.

So for all the pearl clutching from AFL fans and the bravado from some league folk, the game last night
-pulled 30K to the ground
-had 1/4 of the metro TV viewers of the #biggestNRLclubgameinQueenslandhistory
-probably as much again in Brisbane watching on foxtel / Kayo

Obviously there would have been people that flicked over after the NRL but let's also remember that the NRL benefits from having a shorter game that even on Friday night finishes long before 10PM (and probably 9PM in last night)

All the panic about putting that game up against the new Brisbane NRL "derby" was misplaced. Obviously it helps enormously having a strong Lions side but what last night showed is that Lions can hold a solid audience in Brisbane up against the most hyped NRL game you could conceive of.

Wrote this on the main AFL data thread but thought it belonged here too.

So for all the pearl clutching from AFL fans and the bravado from some league folk, the game last night
-pulled 30K to the ground
-had 1/4 of the metro TV viewers of the #biggestNRLclubgameinQueenslandhistory
-probably as much again in Brisbane watching on foxtel / Kayo

Obviously there would have been people that flicked over after the NRL but let's also remember that the NRL benefits from having a shorter game that even on Friday night finishes long before 10PM (and probably 9PM in last night)

All the panic about putting that game up against the new Brisbane NRL "derby" was misplaced. Obviously it helps enormously having a strong Lions side but what last night showed is that Lions can hold a solid audience in Brisbane up against the most hyped NRL game you could conceive of.

A lot of that audience is going to be people tuning in to see what was going on at the gabba after the rugby finished.

And no one panicked.

A lot of that audience is going to be people tuning in to see what was going on at the gabba after the rugby finished.

And no one panicked.

There was a lot of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching about fixturing that match against the first NRL Brisbane derby

The blackout went for 30 minutes. The post-match, presumably covering the period when the game restarted, had the Lions audience at 80K in Brisbane. So, no doubt there were greater numbers watching the Lions game in Brisbane after the rugby league finished but there must have been a decent majority of that 59K average watching the rest of the game.

...and then there's the Brisbane share of the 400K plus that would have been watching on foxtel / kayo

Likely over 100K in Brisbane primarily engaged with the Lions demons game up against an unrepeatable regular season NRL game in Brisbane. I would say the AFL would be very satisfied with what that says

There was a lot of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching about fixturing that match against the first NRL Brisbane derby

Whatever the result, it was still poor or petty fixturing.

The blackout went for 30 minutes. The post-match, presumably covering the period when the game restarted, had the Lions audience at 80K in Brisbane. So, no doubt there were greater numbers watching the Lions game in Brisbane after the rugby league finished but there must have been a decent majority of that 59K average watching the rest of the game.

Without the 15 minute splits its hard to do much moire than draw assumptions.
The audience for the main game was ok, the post match figure is outstanding for Brisbane FTA.

...and then there's the Brisbane share of the 400K plus that would have been watching on foxtel / kayo

Likely over 100K in Brisbane primarily engaged with the Lions demons game up against an unrepeatable regular season NRL game in Brisbane. I would say the AFL would be very satisfied with what that says

Brisbane audience was up on the previous fixture between the two clubs in r23 last year, crowd was only down by 2000. Postmatch rating was pretty good.
Its not a bad effort at all.

FsIAHX5akAA2Zf2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back