News AFL plans two-day draft - confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The AFL is proposing to transform the national draft into a two-day event that features live trading of picks, starting this year.

The AFL will write to clubs on Thursday, detailing how it intends to revolutionise the national draft into an event over two days – imitating the multi-day drafts in American professional sports – in a revamp that gives clubs time to complete trades.

In the letter to clubs, the AFL will propose that the first round of the national draft will be on day one and held in the evening, with the remaining rounds completed the following day.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-plans-two-day-draft-20180328-p4z6sb.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For it to work as a two day event, the whole thing would need to be spruced up in a way not capable of being executed by the AFL.
We'd have no choice but to try and get involved, but the second day would likely be somewhat of a let-down after day 1.

Commission can knock the idea on the head, so best to wait and see what comes about.

It’s not that bad of an idea, however how I would change the silly season at the end of the year is , to make the whole of October open to changes like free agency, trade deadline and bring the draft forward to the last week of October so teams can trade draft picks on draft day and a couple of days after the draft. it means fans who are still on that high from grand final week (that normally lasts around a month) can still live and breath footy and then when November comes around they can switch off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. Time to trade is a good idea and I couldn't give a s**t about actually watching the thing so couldn't really care less if it took 2 days or 2 weeks

It’s not that bad of an idea, however how I would change the silly season at the end of the year is , to make the whole of October open to changes like free agency, trade deadline and bring the draft forward to the last week of October so teams can trade draft picks on draft day and a couple of days after the draft. it means fans who are still on that high from grand final week (that normally lasts around a month) can still live and breath footy and then when November comes around they can switch off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
most of the guys being drafted have their final exams in early November, so an October draft could cause problems

Remove this Banner Ad

Back