Resource Contract end dates, free agents & other stats [live spreadsheets]

Auto-updating contract and stats spreadsheet

(Spreadsheet may take a few seconds to load up)

Tayl0r and I have been working on this for a while now; a user-friendly, auto-updating contract and stats spreadsheet.

In the first tab you will find a list of all players who are out of contract this year and next year, along with their free agency status.

The next four tabs are graphical displays of league-wide contract length, career games, and player age and height data. Who is the tallest player in the league? Who has the longest contract? The answers to these types of questions are in these tabs.

The last tab is a look up table of collated source data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Club Focus
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
great stuff! out of curiosity, how have you sourced the contract length info?

could we get a tab for player weight so we can see who the biggest units are in the league? :$

great stuff! out of curiosity, how have you sourced the contract length info?

could we get a tab for player weight so we can see who the biggest units are in the league? :$
Footywire. And we probably could add a weight tab, assuming the spreadsheet doesn't break again <_<

Footywire is not 100% accurate. For example Heath Shaw is contracted till end of 2019.
Yep. I think they’ve taken Barlow(?) off the books as well when he’s actually playing on.

If there’s a better source for the data that will work into a spreadsheet I’m happy to try something else, but if it becomes labour intensive we'll just stick with what we have.

inbetween

All Australian
Aug 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings
Cool work. One thing I don't understand is the Free Agency Status column.
Take the Freo team contract sheet for example. How can Nat Fyfe possibly be considered a Free Agent when he's contracted up until 2023. or Michael Walters for that matter.

There's a whole bunch of players who have Free agency Status listed for 2020 and beyond when that's technically impossible if they are contracted.

Cool work. One thing I don't understand is the Free Agency Status column.
Take the Freo team contract sheet for example. How can Nat Fyfe possibly be considered a Free Agent when he's contracted up until 2023. or Michael Walters for that matter.

There's a whole bunch of players who have Free agency Status listed for 2020 and beyond when that's technically impossible if they are contracted.
The status column is what their free agency status will be when they’re next out of contract.

If you’re viewing on a mobile make sure you scroll to the right

Great stuff Lore and Tayl0r . I hope you guys can write programs that dump info direct from sites like afltables.com rather than manually have to type up everything.

Great stuff Lore and Tayl0r . I hope you guys can write programs that dump info direct from sites like afltables.com rather than manually have to type up everything.
Lore is a wizz at that stuff. She is an underappreciated asset to bigfooty.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi Lore and Tayl0r

I was thinking it would be interesting to work out the points values of all lists. But it could be time consuming as some players aren't straight forward. I was thinking of just basing it on:
- where you are taken in the draft
- the net draft pick given up for a player in a trade
- the point at which the player was bid on in the draft

I'd be happy to do West Coast if others were willing to do other clubs. In addition to the total points some graphs of the points spread of all lists could be interesting.

I've thought about that before, charting the average draft pick of the team across years.

Working towards a hypothesis that lower pick average could rest in higher performance, but it gets tricky because rookie picks would need to be on the number taken in the entire draft, not including skips. Or at least a uniform standard.

When I thought of this it was also to see how clubs were at pumping games into their picks, to see how each has gone with their selections (probably broken down into half round segments). Once the draft pick is in the database it's a world of opportunity, especially when I can also add in the games played year on year.

Having historical data on all draft picks likely to play, success rate, what determines success etc would be handy but I'd need a slightly higher pay rate to commit to it.

I think the data is out there though.

I dream of being able to click a team, see their players and where they were taken, see which are performing above or below average for that team on games played or another stat metric we could use, and then compared against the league averages.

Ultimately it would be nice to see how successful teams chart over years prior to their success and if there is a correlation between successful teams in terms of chart shape.

It would be a handy tipping tool.

Even broken down into player heights, height by weight, even things like beep test results etc

See if there are correlations to success off that data.

Perhaps to the point where you could say:
Player A, 186cm, 80kg, averaging x possessions and y contested possessions in competition Z and a beep test result of N means you are likely to get 100 games out of him. Etc

I actually think the endurance tests are not going to be as relevant for the middle range talent but would be more indicative of being able to play games early.

It's more about tall skinny guys playing lots of games etc

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Even broken down into player heights, height by weight, even things like beep test results etc

See if there are correlations to success off that data.

Perhaps to the point where you could say:
Player A, 186cm, 80kg, averaging x possessions and y contested possessions in competition Z and a beep test result of N means you are likely to get 100 games out of him. Etc

I actually think the endurance tests are not going to be as relevant for the middle range talent but would be more indicative of being able to play games early.

It's more about tall skinny guys playing lots of games etc

It would be pretty interesting to have original draft position and trade value for each player as a strarting point. I suppose it would just require people doing a team each as it would have to be manual for it to be accurate. I'd be happy to do West Coast and provide the template, which would be pretty simple, just a link to points values etc.

It would be pretty interesting to have original draft position and trade value for each player as a strarting point. I suppose it would just require people doing a team each as it would have to be manual for it to be accurate. I'd be happy to do West Coast and provide the template, which would be pretty simple, just a link to points values etc.
I wouldn't link it to the value of points without showing the working - just in case the points value changes down the road and makes the entire data batch invalid.

Age Profiles
We'll be posting up a few more spreadsheets examining different aspects of the lists, all automatically updating so hopefully they stay up to date with minimal maintenance from us. They use footywire's data so can only be updated when footywire updates their data on their website.

First up is the age profiles of the respective lists. I've included four tabs here, the summarised version using age brackets, the full version with the age of every player included, and the same concepts again using only the data from players who are contracted beyond the current year. The last is the base data.

Height Profiles
Career Games
Season Games
Contract Length
Bloody brilliant job Lore and Tayl0r . This is a fantastic resource to have. I'm not sure if it 100% accurate, because things move so rapidly and contract signings announced every day (Port had 2 today Ladhams and Marshall) but it would at the very least be as authoritative as anything else on the net, and I suspect even more.

Thanks for all the hard work. I reckon you should let the guys on the Stats board who don't visit here to often know about this resource.

Premiership team list profiles 2009-2019
And one more for you. All of the above data (except Contract Lengths), for premiership teams of the last 10 years:

Player Salaries 2018
For those talking salary numbers – in 2018:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 3.20.10 pm.png

Data from here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again

Scaled down to a 40 player team, on average:

1 player earning over 900k
1 player in the 800-900k range
1-2 players in the 700-800k range
2-3 players in the 600-700k range
3 players in the 500-600k range
5 players in the 400-500k range
8 players in the 300-400k range
7-8 players in the 200-300k range
9 players in the 100-200k range
1-2 players in the 60-100k range

Back