Roast AFL Player Ratings Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And yes, they do rate Riewoldt far too lowly.

I see St Kilda fans say this often. But why do you say that? What does he do that isn't being captured or appropriately weighted? On-field leadership or something?

I see St Kilda fans say this often. But why do you say that? What does he do that isn't being captured or appropriately weighted? On-field leadership or something?

Once you have some feel for the game and a bit of life experience get back to us son.

Freo supporter lols. Just go away fool.

I haven't studied them enough, but I'd suggest his uncontested marking is underappreciated. His gut running and ability to create separation and get those uncontested marks on the lead is elite, and when that's his biggest asset it's not surprising the ranking system ranks him relatively lowly.

I haven't studied them enough, but I'd suggest his uncontested marking is underappreciated. His gut running and ability to create separation and get those uncontested marks on the lead is elite, and when that's his biggest asset it's not surprising the ranking system ranks him relatively lowly.

Thanks for that, good answer. :thumbsu:

You actually don't get any points for most uncontested possessions. So if someone works really hard to get into space it doesn't actually have any value according to the ratings system.

The exception is marks on a lead. You get some points for those.

It's possible that lots of Roos marks aren't considered on a lead but its difficult to say as champion data don't publish those stats.

The other thing that hurts Roo in the ratings is kicking for goal from set shots. If you miss easy shots you're penalised, as it is a turnover
from an uncontested sutuation.

What if I told you that the AFL Player Ratings have a better predictive ability than SC and are statistically the best rating method currently devised? Is your opinion still more valid?

This guy is actually 100% correct here. It's by far the best objective (objective being a key defining factor) system we have. However, that's not to say it isn't flawed as there is no perfect system.

The problem is that AFL stats and the method used by champion data are so obscured and hidden by commercial interests that the average fan has no idea how they come to their conclusions. This leads to misinterpretations and misunderstandings which then creates angst directed at the rating systems. In addition, without access to the stats the fans can't confirm or contradict any of the ratings findings which makes the whole system feel like a giant lie.

What if I told you that the AFL Player Ratings have a better predictive ability than SC and are statistically the best rating method currently devised? Is your opinion still more valid?

As for the OP, St Kilda had more total ratings points than Collingwood. Collingwood had the best 5 players on the ground, but they also had 10 of the worst 14. Turns out, football is a team game and Collingwood had a lot of passengers. There is no law in the universe that says the best players on the ground are always on the winning team. What you'll find though, is that very, very rarely (much less than SC or any other system) does the losing team having more total ratings points.

Anyway, I know St Kilda fans will never like the Player Ratings because it doesn't rate their beloved Nick as highly as they themselves do. So, carry on.
Yes the Player Ratings are absolutely correct and all sides should be selected the basis of the individual Player Ratings scores.

PS - lets get rid of coaches as well because they have no idea since Pendlebury didn't rate a vote from either of the coaches.

if we over-rate nick riewoldt then i'd love to hear your opinion on players like pavlich, mcpharlin, farmer, ballantyne, johnson, neale etc.

Unpopular opinion, but with my mate, a Collingwood supporter having pointed this out early, it became pretty obvious throughout the game.

Roberton got a lot of his 32 disposals cheaply. It was described as a set-up role; he would call for the ball back to him to grab a kick or switch, get a handball out the back, or play on from the kick out before clearing the ball out of the 50. His use of the ball was above average but to me wasn't as good as the contested ball use and shutdown play of Ross/Geary etc.
32 disposals at 90% efficiency looks nice on paper, but having watched the game shouldn't necessarily equate to best on IMO. Still had a quality game though.

Last edited:
Ratings top 5 St Kilda players on Sunday

Ross :heavycheck:
Steven:heavycheck:
Riewoldt:heavycheck:
Roberton:heavycheck:
Dunstan:question:

Also, Riewoldt passed Rory Lobb to be 11th best key forward in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside our wonderful ruckman on the weekend, who had the least possessions for us on Saturday? Jade Gresham.

According to the AFL Player Ratings, who was our third best player on the day, behind Roberton and Stevens? Jade Gresham.

Rooey is now top 10 (!) in the key forward rankings, moving past Josh Jenkins. One more spot and he becomes the best Riewoldt!

Putting aside our wonderful ruckman on the weekend, who had the least possessions for us on Saturday? Jade Gresham.

According to the AFL Player Ratings, who was our third best player on the day, behind Roberton and Stevens? Jade Gresham.

Rooey is now top 10 (!) in the key forward rankings, moving past Josh Jenkins. One more spot and he becomes the best Riewoldt!
The bizarreness of the system lives on.

It was also Greshams career best game!

Ahead of the Carlton MCG game and that Geelong game. Not quite sure how a 9 touch, 2 cherried goal game does that but anyway.

Billy Longer destroyed Shane Mumford on Friday night. 2nd best hitout total of his career, huge last quarter, Saints dominated clearances and contested ball.

Longer was ... awful.

Also rated our tall forwards thusly: Riewoldt, then Bruce, then Membrey.

And Jimmy Webster was our 16th best player on the night.

McEvoy displaced Mumford this week as the AFL Player Ratings ruckman of the year.

Big Ben has been quite good by his standards, but those standards aren't very high..

Billy Longer destroyed Shane Mumford on Friday night. 2nd best hitout total of his career, huge last quarter, Saints dominated clearances and contested ball.

Longer was ... awful.

Also rated our tall forwards thusly: Riewoldt, then Bruce, then Membrey.

And Jimmy Webster was our 16th best player on the night.
Bar Webster, I don't think it's actually that far off. I didn't really rate any of our talls games very highly, and I don't think Longer was that good, it was more about limiting Mumford's impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back