Rumour AFL player to retire (confirmed: Angus Brayshaw)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stronzatello

Debutant
Sep 20, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the 3aw rumour file this morning, an afl player set to retire due to ongoing concussion issues. Hopefully the rumour isn’t true and if it is, let’s hope it’s not Murph. Anyone have any intel?

On the 3aw rumour file this morning, an afl player set to retire due to ongoing concussion issues. Hopefully the rumour isn’t true and if it is, let’s hope it’s not Murph. Anyone have any intel?
He's been working as a runner. How many injured players, even those that are allowed to run, perform that duty? I can't think of an example in recent times. Ever since he had a head injury against Daicos, he has not been the same.

Brayshaw's back training, can't think of someone else. Perhaps Hunter Clark, that's about it, though.

He's been working as a runner. How many injured players, even those that are allowed to run, perform that duty? I can't think of an example in recent times. Ever since he had a head injury against Daicos, he has not been the same.

Brayshaw's back training, can't think of someone else. Perhaps Hunter Clark, that's about it, though.
Nonsense. Injured players performing a runner's role happens at every club at every level.

Just a rumor but if it turns out to be true then I will remember Murph as a massive part of our 2023 premiership campaign and a warrior on the field. Even if he never pulls on a pair of boots again I can see him being part an AFL club in another role either at the Pies or somewhere else. Wish him nothing but the best whatever he decides.

Yeah, maybe the Daicos tackle made him think again. Really, its only a matter of time before he cops another one, and what then?

This is what I was alluding to the other day when I said I'm worried about him

Like, he simply has to know he's literally one concussion away from forced retirement.

I had said last year that the club may need to completely try and reprogram him on the way he plays if they want him to stay in the game.

There's clearly something about the way he plays or perhaps a lack of awareness he has that leads to him getting concussed more than others.

Would be really sad to see but his long term health has to come first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now it is really time to delete this thread

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nathan follow him given he's suffered far more concussions over the last few years than Angus has.

The Maynard incident was the first time in quite some time that he's had a serious hit.

Murph copped 3 or 4 just last year and then another from Daicos in the pre-season.

This is somewhat of a shock, but l remember his brother Hamish Brayshaw saying last year he has a tough decision to make about playing on, so it looks like there has been some form of intervention to get to this point.....

I really fear for Nathan Murphy, and l think for Nathan's future, he has a huge decision to make in the coming weeks

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nathan follow him given he's suffered far more concussions over the last few years than Angus has.

The Maynard incident was the first time in quite some time that he's had a serious hit.

Murph copped 3 or 4 just last year and then another from Daicos in the pre-season.
"To be fair", if and when he retires or there is retirement speculation based on something of substance, would be a time to start that thread.

No need to start your panicking yet.

"To be fair", if and when he retires or there is retirement speculation based on something of substance, would be a time to start that thread.

Reckon you need to calm down a little

No one is panicking

People are having completely reasonable thoughts on the future and safety of Nathan.

You're being naive if you think it's not fairly logical to hear a rumour of an AFL player deciding to retire due to concussions and not have Murph at front of mind.

Reckon you need to calm down a little

No one is panicking

People are having completely reasonable thoughts on the future and safety of Nathan.

You're being naive if you think it's not fairly logical to hear a rumour of an AFL player deciding to retire due to concussions and not have Murph at front of mind.
Go ahead and speculate all you want - in the player thread. But this thread - particularly its title - needs to be binned.

That's true, but we do have to factor in that Murph has had 10 concussions, and would he want to get to the Brayshaw situation where another scan has shown a change in his brain activity forcing him to retire.

Also every article l'm reading on Brayshaw's retirement they are referencing Maynard's bump, like this is the sole reason Angus has had to retire. Unfortunately and sadly for Brayshaw he did already suffer 8 or 9 other bad concussions prior to the Bruzzy incident.
I'm feeling alot of booing towards Bruzzy this season, which will be completely unwarranted and unfair....

That's true, but we do have to factor in that Murph has had 10 concussions, and would he want to get to the Brayshaw situation where another scan has shown a change in his brain activity forcing him to retire.

Also every article l'm reading on Brayshaw's retirement they are referencing Maynard's bump, like this is the sole reason Angus has had to retire. Unfortunately and sadly for Brayshaw he did already suffer 8 or 9 other bad concussions prior to the Bruzzy incident.
I'm feeling alot of booing towards Bruzzy this season, which will be completely unwarranted and unfair....

Pffft I'd wear it as a badge of honour

He tried to smother that's all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back