AFL players now legally able to dodge taxes

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cue the whinging in a year or two when the CBA is up:

"WE DON'T GET ENOUGH COMPARED TO THE $130MILLION PER TEAM IN THE NFL"

Biggest joke of the last decade is the fact that Melbourne in 2013 earned at least 95% of what Hawthorn earned.

I for one welcome the fact that these highly paid players are given tax relief that ordinary citizens would not be able to access. A true victory has been won for democracy this day!

Its especially good that first year, second year and rookie players are ineligible. I mean they aren't earning nearly enough money to deserve a tax break. This goes a long way towards correcting the injustice of having the highest earning people taxed at the highest marginal rate. In other news the ATO is proposing a brand new rebate for all citizens earning over $500K per year to be known as the "High Income Rebate".

Oh and even better. Rookies, draftees and minimal salary players don't qualify so it's only really those earning the huge wages.

Its especially good that first year, second year and rookie players are ineligible. I mean they aren't earning nearly enough money to deserve a tax break.

They aren't paying 49% tax on a large part of their income like the stars are. They don't need the tax break.

Professional tennis players spend the majority of the calendar year on tour and about 3-4 weeks of that is spent in Australia.

If you did that as an Australian tax resident you'd be paying a marginal tax rate of 45% for income that you didn't earn here while barely living here. Madness.

"A ranking system measuring on-field achievements including all-Australian selection...Brownlow Medal placings... will be used to determine how much money a player can assign for the use of their image."

Brownlow Medal placings?

They just ticked off a tax break with eligibility based on who part time footy umpires reckon are grouse.

Straya.

I for one welcome the fact that these highly paid players are given tax relief that ordinary citizens would not be able to access. A true victory has been won for democracy this day!

Its especially good that first year, second year and rookie players are ineligible. I mean they aren't earning nearly enough money to deserve a tax break. This goes a long way towards correcting the injustice of having the highest earning people taxed at the highest marginal rate. In other news the ATO is proposing a brand new rebate for all citizens earning over $500K per year to be known as the "High Income Rebate".
Most people who earn more than 500k a year end up hiring accountants who bend all the rules to lower their taxes - negative gearing, properties in the wifes name, trusts etc.

So even though I started this thread I'm not going to compare AFL players to the worst of tax cheats or someone like Geoffrey Edelsten paying cents on the dollar for a 14million dollar tax bill whilst splashing money round on his latest girl friend.

What really annoys me about this is how easy the ATO has made it for footballers by letting them get away with this points system and percentages of income.

The only benefit of the point system would be that it allows the AFL to control the amount of tax relief that each clubs players are getting. Because otherwise players for big clubs like Collingwood would say their brand/image is worth more and point to the clubs supporter base, media interest etc as a reason for a bigger break. Likewise, whenever a team won a premiership their players could make a claim that a huge percentage of their wage is now underpinned by their status are premiership players. All of a sudden the premiers are blessed in a round about way by extra salary cap as they dont have to pay players as much for the same net income. This way the AFL can control the % based on player pay rankings at each club and not have a discrepancy in tax dollars grossly affecting the salary cap.

It's also hard to feel too sorry for the Bondi Billionaires, Tom Boyd and a lot of the other key forwards in the game. But with the Brownlow and B+F's as determining factors they wont be eligible to divert as much as their cash away from income tax. Maybe the key forwards need their own union to negotiate a deal!

Professional tennis players spend the majority of the calendar year on tour and about 3-4 weeks of that is spent in Australia.

If you did that as an Australian tax resident you'd be paying a marginal tax rate of 45% for income that you didn't earn here while barely living here. Madness.

Madness? They are clearly not resident in the Bahamas. These players got the support of Australian institutions like the AIS and the Australian elite sporting culture yet when they succeed they refuse to pay their fair share. That's madness. Just because you can hire expensive international tax lawyers to avoid paying your fair share of tax in Australia through international tax scheme, doesn't make it ethically right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madness? They are clearly not resident in the Bahamas. These players got the support of Australian institutions like the AIS and the Australian elite sporting culture yet when they succeed they refuse to pay their fair share. That's madness. Just because you can hire expensive international tax lawyers to avoid paying your fair share of tax in Australia through international tax scheme, doesn't make it ethically right.

But it's ethically right for the ATO to take half their income despite them not earning it in Australia?

If you don't earn your income in Australia it is madness to be a tax resident in Australia - tax the s**t out of you and piss it up against the wall.

But it's ethically right for the ATO to take half their income despite them not earning it in Australia?

If you don't earn your income in Australia it is madness to be a tax resident in Australia - tax the s**t out of you and piss it up against the wall.

Yes it is right. Elite athletes should pay the same taxes as everyone else and not be allowed to use tax dodging tactics like residency in the Bahamas or paying 30% of their income to companies to avoid paying their fair share.

Yes it is right. Elite athletes should pay the same taxes as everyone else and not be allowed to use tax dodging tactics like residency in the Bahamas or paying 30% of their income to companies to avoid paying their fair share.

No it's not right. If you don't live and earn your income in a country you shouldn't pay tax there, that's ridiculous. There's a big world out there that doesn't revolve around Australia - I don't pay any tax in Australia so I guess that makes me unethical according to you.

No it's not right. If you don't live and earn your income in a country you shouldn't pay tax there, that's ridiculous. There's a big world out there that doesn't revolve around Australia - I don't pay any tax in Australia so I guess that makes me unethical according to you.

No there is a big difference. I live and work in London and pay all my English taxes in full. That is different to an elite Australian sports person claiming residency in the Bahamas solely to avoid tax.

Australia isn't a high taxing nation, off memory we rank about 70th in the world in terms of tax as a proportion of GDP

I have no problem with Australians living abroad not paying Australian taxes, just as long as they are removed from the Medicare system and forfeit any consular assistance should it be needed. You want protections afforded to an Australian Citizen? you pay for them

Mates of mine received their Rudd Plasma Payment, whilst living in Europe which paid for an almighty night out one evening.

Perhaps a 'Living OS" tax at a nominal rate like 10% would be a good compromise.

Last edited:
Just remember that when you argue about rubbish like "growing the game" and "we need to extract the most TV rights money we can" - at the expense of running an actual sporting competition on a level playing field - it still isn't enough.

It's never enough.

Tennis players and golfers can skimp out on the country that raised, nurtured and prepared them for success all they want.

The lunacy of us all lauding them as great Aussies to the point where they can be named Australian of the Year when they actually contribute nothing (from their own kick) to the place is what irks me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back