AFL Players Read What We Write Online

Remove this Banner Ad

You say "they should laugh it off" or "get out of the kitchen" if they can't.

The reality is even the best of them can't.

A Brownlow Medalist has said comments on twitter affect him. He's reached the peak of individual performance in this sport and even he's not able to simply "laugh it off".

We need to take this issue more seriously.

We should just imagine they're reading our comments and adjust our tone accordingly - I think that's a great start already.

Sticks and stones mate, people as a whole need to stop worrying about being offended. Nothing happens when you are offended. You are just offended.
Get over it.

I am sick to death of being told i am responsible for the feelings of people i dont know and have never met. And that none of the responsibility is on them to maybe not be fawning divas looking for praise on the internet and getting sore because people make hurtful comments (mostly untrue).

Grow the f up. These idiots get 6 figures, more support than a war vet, and get all the benefits of being an adult for none of the sacrifice.

YESS!

Anyone with a decent social media following know that the comments you receive online, often from anonymous sources, can be deeply concerning. Whether this be footballers or even women (many of whom cannot participate in debates on Twitter without receiving rape or death threats).

Online anonymity brings out a certain toxicity in people. And when someone is receiving death threats online from arseholes (as in the case of many women) or abuse (as in the case of many footballers) it really isn't sufficient to tell them to 'Grow the f up' as though that is a helpful sentiment.

Now I'd be the first person to admit that footballers should, under no circumstances, come on this forum. The discussions on the main board are often infantile and God help any footballer who stumbled into Bay 13. But the reality is that people will look and they will read and in the case of social media it can be very difficult to avoid those comments unless you excuse yourself from online activity entirely.

But the reality is that we shouldn't be asking footballers to change their behaviour. We shouldn't be asking women to change their behaviour. The improvement should start and end with those who abuse people online and do so for no reason than because they can do so anonymously.

As long as we aren't breaking the law I wouldn't judge anyone on here for what they write about players. It's all just personal opinion when talking about the players. Some like to make crap up to make themselves feel better but I think the majority of us see through those particular posters.
No one is forcing them to search their own names. It's the ego that drives that.

Sticks and stones mate, people as a whole need to stop worrying about being offended. Nothing happens when you are offended. You are just offended.
Get over it.

Again, there's nothing wrong with speaking negatively or putting forward an opinion that a player wouldn't like to hear - this isn't a call for censorship.

I think when we assume nobody is reading our comments, it's easier to get carried away.

When we assume they are reading (which they are), we probably tone it down a little and express ourselves more accurately.

If you dont have the mental fortitude to deal with anonymous opinions that the players has to seek out to read, then they will crumble under the performance anxiety of AFL.

If a Brownlow medalist isn't immune... then who is?

I am sick to death of being told i am responsible for the feelings of people i dont know and have never met. And that none of the responsibility is on them to maybe not be fawning divas looking for praise on the internet and getting sore because people make hurtful comments (mostly untrue).

Grow the f up. These idiots get 6 figures, more support than a war vet, and get all the benefits of being an adult for none of the sacrifice.

If you're walking down the steps after a game and an old man is slowing you down, you wouldn't abuse him, you'd smile and let him through. You do care about people. You do take some responsibility for other peoples' feelings, to a degree. Not as much as your own friends and family, but you care a little.

Online, it should be the same.

This is a weird thread coming from a poster who was hanging s**t on Josh Schache's mental state to justify Richmond trying to get him for cheap.

I would like to think I tried to be critical but respectful, but I'm sure I've overstepped the line too at times and yes - I need to be more thoughtful online too, there's no excuses for me or anyone else.

At the time, I wasn't imagining that Josh would read anything I wrote, so if he did and I was being thoughtless - I'm sorry.

Next time I will imagine he is reading, and that alone will mean I'm less likely to be hurtful.

Many posters use a forum like this to vent their frustration, i dont, but I accept that others do. Their are forum rules in place, let that be the only restriction needed.
Also, you develop a level of respect for certain posters opinions, most of the others are just filler you skip by, i'm sure AFL players who read here would do the same.

I’m sorry about the negative stuff I said about u Tom swift and Chris Mayne. I think I’m just jealous that I’m not/was not a pro footy player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to think I tried to be critical but respectful, but I'm sure I've overstepped the line too at times and yes - I need to be more thoughtful online too, there's no excuses for me or anyone else.

At the time, I wasn't imagining that Josh would read anything I wrote, so if he did and I was being thoughtless - I'm sorry.

Next time I will imagine he is reading, and that alone will mean I'm less likely to be hurtful.
Good thread Caro but bigfooty is still the dirty little secret of AFL.

Facebook and twitter are where it's at if you crawled out of your hole.

What I don't get is we lay into each other as much as any football player on this forum, yet we don't get to use the old " don't hurt my feelings card". You debate and share insults, fair bump, move on.

At the end of the day, your an adult- gotta deal with problems like one. People are inherently spiteful and opportunistic (especially when there's no accountability) and the internet is the platform for having our worthless opinions validated.

You think anyone of us would actually talk to each other in the negative way we do if it were face to face? hell no.

What I don't get is we lay into each other as much as any football player on this forum, yet we don't get to use the old " don't hurt my feelings card". You debate and share insults, fair bump, move on.

At the end of the day, your an adult- gotta deal with problems like one. People are inherently spiteful and opportunistic (especially when there's no accountability) and the internet is the platform for having our worthless opinions validated.

You think anyone of us would actually talk to each other in the negative way we do if it were face to face? hell no.

In real life if someone started a conversation like this most people would just say harden up young fella, your 2 door Hyundai is full of petrol and it's a wonderful day out there.

It's not that easy.

Players are already told to do that and it doesn't work.

It's pretty easy to avoid BigFooty isn't it? It doesn't even qualify as "social media" IMO. I'd be surprised if more than 10-15% of players have a BigFooty account.

Harder to do with Twitter etc where comments can be directed straight at you, and players want an open account for other reasons that benefit them.

Absolutely we have the right to express opinions.

Just be cognisant of the fact players could be reading it, so we should express our opinions as if we were talking face-to-face.
JJ you're soft as butter. Harden up

Yes I would call him soft and tell him he needs to use his size and body more.

All you hard-arse I could care what anyone thinks much less the precious little overpaid prima donna players, you do realise that many of these players are just kids, some just 18-19-20 year olds. They most likely have never been subject to the sort of vitriol that is often served out on social media and boards like this, in fact most think they are pretty good footballers and have been praised about their football ability all their lives. Would you care if it is one of your sons, nephews, brothers.
I hate it when players are called useless, cowards and worse. They are all good footballers, some are just not cut out to make it. There is a lot of pressure on many of these young kids. I think the OP has made a good point. What if these young people are vulnerable to abuse, bad luck and suck it up. Some consideration and respect, after all this is the game we get so passionate about, if you hate aspects of it, don't watch it.

All you hard-arse I could care what anyone thinks much less the precious little overpaid prima donna players, you do realise that many of these players are just kids, some just 18-19-20 year olds. They most likely have never been subject to the sort of vitriol that is often served out on social media and boards like this, in fact most think they are pretty good footballers and have been praised about their football ability all their lives. Would you care if it is one of your sons, nephews, brothers.
I hate it when players are called useless, cowards and worse. They are all good footballers, some are just not cut out to make it. There is a lot of pressure on many of these young kids. I think the OP has made a good point. What if these young people are vulnerable to abuse, bad luck and suck it up. Some consideration and respect, after all this is the game we get so passionate about, if you hate aspects of it, don't watch it.
The point is Richmond posters are becoming feminine. It's nice until it gets old and withered and bitter then ends up on footy clathified.

Maybe the bolded is half the problem? Also I think most posters give a few years grace to the young kids coming through. Its the so called stars or those who are highly paid and provide little output. The cases of depressive leave (that we hear about) have all been in this camp. Cloke, Boyd etc.

Would I care if it was my sons or nephews. I would hope I have grounded them and not blown smoke up them all their lives making them think they are privileged.

I find this hillarious in light of your comments in the Trasgender thread.

For anytime I've been in the wrong, I need to learn to be more thoughtful too.

I'm still anti-PC in a broader sense, but I just think by imagining players are reading our comments, it helps bring out a more human side to our posting.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm pointing the finger at anyone, as I'm guilty myself of not really caring what I type.

It's pretty easy to avoid BigFooty isn't it? It doesn't even qualify as "social media" IMO. I'd be surprised if more than 10-15% of players have a BigFooty account.

Harder to do with Twitter etc where comments can be directed straight at you, and players want an open account for other reasons that benefit them.

They get linked to Big Footy threads from twitter.

And what about their kids googling their names? Big Footy threads are often the first thing that come up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back