AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a complete and utter side note:
I’m sure someone has the stats somewhere, but I was under the impression that there has been positive grassroots participation for girls playing afl, as a consequence of aflw’s introduction?

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did you read the rest of that? Or did you just want to do your usual thing, take a snip from a post and spin it to make yourself look good?

It's an exercise in expanding the market and participation in Aussie rules.

That's the part you didn't quote
The actual main part of the post
Where it says the AFL wants to bring in new fans and give girls a pathway to a top league where they can represent their favourite team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Did you read the rest of that?

I didn't have to. You ratified my point.

Dig deeper in to your pocket this year mate. Someone has to carry all of this important non AFL stuff. I'm getting reports that liquidity is a little tight down there at the moment.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I didn't have to.

Dig deeper in to your pocket this year mate. Someone has to carry all of this important non AFL stuff. I'm getting reports that liquidity is a little tight down there at the moment.
Hah, you snipped the quote you like again.
Anyway,
Yeah we did just spend 6 and a half million dollars on Arden street.

But they're fine with my usual contribution. BHP is in on the women's league to the tune of 5 mil, and the AFL pays us to have a women's team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hah, you snipped the quote you like again.

You ratified my point. The fans never wanted it, and the players never wanted it..

It's politically driven crap that has been foisted upon them by professional CV builders.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's for new fans.

"New fans" require a "new competition", not the prostitution of an existing one.

You're basically conceding that the AFLW is a cheap marketing stunt that is getting played on an existing unrelated market (which is correct).

It's for new fans.
yes and no. My daughter, A North fan never goes to neutral AFL games here in Adelaide but does go to Crows AFLW games. But she's always been a footy fan.

I've got Crows mates that rarely go to the Crows mens but go to most womens games.

And the girls at our local footy club love going to the Crows AFLW and it inspired them to get a team up last year....and they went on to win a premiership.

Anyone that can't see the huge benefits of AFLW for Aussie Rules in an entirety is a naive dinosaur. They have no idea what is happening at a junior and local level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So business entities shouldn't expand into new markets. Gotcha.

If you view AFL as simply a "business" than I can see why you have such a dry view of the subject.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yes and no. My daughter, A North fan never goes to neutral AFL games here in Adelaide but does go to Crows AFLW games. But she's always been a footy fan.

I've got Crows mates that rarely go to the Crows mens but go to most womens games.

And the girls at our local footy club love going to the Crows AFLW and it inspired them to get a team up last year....and they went on to win a premiership.

Anyone that can't see the huge benefits of AFLW for Aussie Rules in an entirety is a naive dinosaur. They have no idea what is happening at a junior and local level.
Yeah Im trying to simplify my posts to not get the 2 second sound bite treatment

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
As a vehement supporter of the AFL's strategy of heavily subsidising expansion clubs in the northern states to grow the game, I'm hardly in a position to criticise them for implementing AFLW.

Whilst it has its faults, whilever there's a team in it representing our club I'll take an interest - that being said, if they're going to continue referring to us as 'Kangaroos' like they did on the TV coverage on the weekend it'll begin to piss me off.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a vehement supporter of the AFL's strategy of heavily subsidising expansion clubs in the northern states to grow the game, I'm hardly in a position to criticise them for implementing AFLW.

Whilst it has its faults, whilever there's a team in it representing our club I'll take an interest - that being said, if they're going to continue referring to us as 'Kangaroos' like they did on the TV coverage on the weekend it'll begin to piss me off.
The "North Melbourne-Tasmania" prefix is a shambles. Hope they get a team soon down south so we can drop it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The "North Melbourne-Tasmania" prefix is a shambles. Hope they get a team soon down south so we can drop it.

Looking forward to it chopping off the "North Melbourne" and basing itself in Hobart.

Have a look at these crowd figures for the women's games before the league was formalised.

See them growing? See how they are bigger than what our blokes get?

There was clear demand from the fans for the league. The data is plain. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying, delusional or motivated by hatred.

AFLW.PNG

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to spell this out but women's AFL was a fringe sport not long ago and the current standard probably reflects that. But since the advent of the AFLW comp, participation by girls at junior level has gone through the roof and in time this will probably mean a much higher standard at the top level. The elite athletes who are coming over to AFL from other sports may have been afl players since their teens instead.

It follows that increased participation by girls would lead to increased participation by their siblings, which would be good for the men's game.
My point wasn't to scrap the AFLW or anything along those lines. I have no issue with it being there and giving girls something to aspire to. This concept exists in soccer and has been there for some time. My point is that all North members are there predominantly to support the AFL side. That's what this club is built on. Some members may also take interest in the woman's team, which is great. But some will not. The club shouldn't automatically assume that the AFLW side is of interest to everyone. This club will always be there as an AFL club, and in our lifetime and beyond, anything else will be a small add-on at best. I don't care if we start a Netball team as well, in North colours FFS. But if we do, it will play its role, but will forever remain in the shadow of the AFL team, because this is an AFL club. When I watch my North content, it should be up to me, if I want to watch anything AFLW related, because personally I am not interested in it one bit, and I respect those that are.

I just don't see the point in equalizing the two, when quite clearly they are not. One is at its infancy, and it should continue to develop naturally, provided the AFL funding is there for it, and it doesn't take any funds away from the AFL side, thus hampering its ability to contend for a flag.

Last edited:

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think you are going to have to back that up with a source. The men provide approximately 50% more product in a grand slam and you can't really buy media based on picking individual spots with perhaps the exception of the final. The media rights and sponsorship of the slams would be based on the overall package they provide and not really allocated by gender.
If it were true the media rights, sponsorship etc for the stand-alone women's tour would be equal to the men's. Is that the case?

Even if it were true. Serena wouldn't take a set off Roger in a hundred matches.
Sorry, can't be arsed looking it up. It came up in the pre-Roger era when Hingis, Kournikova, etc had huge followings and were at least as marketable as any male player.

My point wasn't to scrap the AFLW or anything along those lines. I have no issue with it being there and giving girls something to aspire to. This concept exists in soccer and has been there for some time. My point is that all North members are there predominantly to support the AFL side. That's what this club is built on. Some members may also take interest in the woman's team, which is great. But some will not. The club shouldn't automatically assume that the AFLW side is of interest to everyone. This club will always be there as an AFL club, and in our lifetime and beyond, anything else will be a small add-on at best. I don't care if we start a Netball team as well, in North colours FFS. But if we do, it will play its role, but will forever remain in the shadow of the AFL team, because this is an AFL club. When I watch my North content, it should be up to me, if I want to watch anything AFLW, because personally I am not interested in it one bit, and I respect those that are.

I just don't see the point in equalizing the two, when quite clearly they are not. One is at its infancy, and it should continue to develop, provided the AFL funding is there for it, and it doesn't take any funds away from the AFL side, thus hampering its ability to contend for the flag.
You absolutely do have issues with it, as you clearly have stated in this thread before. Now you're just backing down becuase they were ridiculous things to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back