AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummm, AFLW isn't a different sport to AFL.

It is just women playing the same game.

If we’re getting really pedantic, the AFL and AFLW are different leagues. Not sports.

With different onfield rules.

I'm basing it on the current salary cap and agreement.

This is just some conjured up factor.

You don't have a solid economic underpinning for your views?

If we’re getting really pedantic, the AFL and AFLW are different leagues. Not sports.

Yep agreed, but the VFA had different rules to the VFL etc, SANFL has different rules.

The real story here is the way the body that runs a competition - the AFL - has managed to brand an entire code.

It is all just footy.

What about the bit "not interested" that's so hard to understand?
I am not interested in plenty of other sports either, and as long as I don't have to watch them or read about them, it doesn't bother me. But for some reason AFL and NMFC now think that every AFL fan is automatically an AFLW fan. Which is a mistake.

I understand the frustration, even if I don't agree. Maybe 5-10% of North supporters even care about the VFL team. For the AFLW team, that's much less. At least many of the VFL players are AFL listed and have some relevance to the team.

For the AFLW, the issue is that they're getting more than 5% of the press coverage. There's some incentive to do this because of growth, but I probably do agree with Snake and some others in regards to it also being due to social pressures.

The reality is now that the social direction is set and the AFL is going full steam ahead in order to have a dominant space in womens' sport. Almost half of all Aussie Rules participants in QLD are now women, for example. This could be a shitstorm for rugby's future, and the AFL knows this. North Melbourne isn't going to divest in womens' football now.

This is just some conjured up factor.

You don't have a solid economic underpinning for your views?
Do you?

What I posted was the bargaining agreement for the AFLW.

Do you see that figure increasing by 2,000%? I don't.

I was expecting some idiot to say that. :)
And im exepcting you to be at the AGM, demanding that the womens team be removed from all advertising, that no male players or coaches attend games, an imbargo on questions about them from the media, and for the club to routinely check in with you to make sure your precious wittle feewings havent been hurt because you saw a female jumper design at the rooshop.

Such guts, so brave.

A very good point you raise here, and I will run it in line with the discussion with Tectonic..

Rather than leaching off the NMFC AFL coffers, shouldn't the AFLW be paying a fee to the NMFC AFL department for the promotion that enables their entire existence (a marketing licence), because let's be frank, they would not exist in any without the NMFC AFL.

I mean, if I went about doing business under the Coca Cola banner of my own volition, I would be inundated with a truckload of corporate lawyers issuing legal documents. How is this that much different?

If the AFLW was a startup league with teams starting from scratch, it wouldn’t survive in a national sense.

It is totally reliant on the men’s game.

Thank you!!!

If the AFLW was a startup league with teams starting from scratch, it wouldn’t survive in a national sense.

It is totally reliant on the men’s game.

Yeah, it isn't the "men's game".

In the immortal words of D'Angelo Barksdale - the game be the game. The game is Australian football.

There's an elite men's competition - and if people who are anti-W applied their own logic to us in that comp, we'd have been folded or merged decades ago.

And im exepcting you to be at the AGM, demanding that the womens team be removed from all advertising, that no male players or coaches attend games, an imbargo on questions about them from the media, and for the club to routinely check in with you to make sure your precious wittle feewings havent been hurt because you saw a female jumper design at the rooshop.

Such guts, so brave.

He can go in and have a chat with Aileen Gilroy about why he thinks she shouldn't have come from Ireland to play for us.

Once she belts s**t out of him, he can come here and sook about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very good point you raise here, and I will run it in line with the discussion with Tectonic..

Rather than leaching off the NMFC AFL coffers, shouldn't the AFLW be paying a fee to the NMFC AFL department for the promotion that enables their entire existence (a marketing licence), because let's be frank, they would not exist in any without the NMFC AFL.

I mean, if I went about doing business under the Coca Cola banner of my own volition, I would be inundated with a truckload of corporate lawyers issuing legal documents. How is this that much different?
NMFC receives money from the AFL for operational costs pertaining to our AFLW team, seeing as AFL owns AFLW it's more like coca cola selling sprite. A product they own.

NMFC receives money from the AFL for operational costs pertaining to our AFLW team, seeing as AFL owns AFLW it's more like coca cola selling sprite. A product they own.

DO THEY?!

Can you point me to the actual itemized costings of the AFLW side in the annual report?

"AFLW it's more like coca cola selling sprite"

That is officially brilliant. Welcome to my signature.

And either are you, so stop pretending as if you know whats best for NMFC and the rest of the members.

And yet he was pissed at me talking for everyone else.

loving his new sig btw, even taken out of context its true and directly goes against his argument. :drunk:

whoda thunk a business could sell more than one product? Imagine if someone tried to offer 2 seperate newspapers to the same market.. what a foolish leech of resources that would be

Hey what if the entire food and beverage market globally was owned by like four companies that just sold the same thing under heaps of different brands?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back