AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Male and female footballers' salaries will continue to grow, no different to what cricket achieved in its last CBA.

For those questioning the value of women's football, ask yourself: why has that notoriously loony left-winger Jeff Kennett been squealing like a stuck pig for the last two years about Hawthorn missing out on an AFLW licence, despite publicly trashing the league for two years beforehand ("discrimination!" he now claims)?

Gee, maybe he heard about Brisbane's new $70m training and admin base, which the Lions repeatedly failed to secure the funding for... until they started fielding an AFLW team. I could go on all day with such examples that make the former premier's blood boil as he slowly accepts the reality his mob missed the boat.

At least the Hawks have all that pokies money to pay for their garbage tip at Dingerz. Our club can't afford to be run by stodgy backward-looking fools.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Majority of these women, especially the under 25s are slumming it at coffee shops, on top of that doing full uni loads.

They all haven't got footy department or club jobs like our dear captain Emma. (Not a slight, good on her.)

If anyone thinks they can make do on 13-18k for five months work, then whatever else they can hold down if their boss will allow them, by all means, come forward.
Male players played for peanuts for decades and did heavy laboring jobs all week. Why should these women get a free ride? They are already subsidized by the men. They get far more media exposure than their product warrants yet all they do is whine.

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
Male players played for peanuts for decades and did heavy laboring jobs all week. Why should these women get a free ride? They are already subsidized by the men. They get far more media exposure than their product warrants yet all they do is whine.

Because if we have the means to make sure they don't get paid s**t.... they don't have to be? Do they have to crawl through dirt to make them worthy to you as people?

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Feels like there is very little point engaging you in this. You hate it, you dont ever want to see it. That's cool if that's how you feel. Pretty lame, but whatever.

I do want to watch it, and it makes perfect sense to me that at a season launch our football teams are present, because they play football and we are a football club, but that's where we differ.

I dont buy into this PC outrage culture crap that you're slinging either. That's just a load. But moan away, by all means.
There is no doubt they are combining the two teams to raise the profile of the women. They have not earned one minute of the coverage they are getting in the media-they have been given a free ride by everyone. Has any commentator or journalist actually crticised the body shape or skills of any female footballer? If not-why not? They claim to be professionals playing an elite level of sport yet everyone is terrified of saying anything remotely critical. Are they sportswomen or a bunch of girls having a bit of a kick and giggle?

There is no doubt they are combining the two teams to raise the profile of the women. They have not earned one minute of the coverage they are getting in the media-they have been given a free ride by everyone. Has any commentator or journalist actually crticised the body shape or skills of any female footballer? If not-why not? They claim to be professionals playing an elite level of sport yet everyone is terrified of saying anything remotely critical. Are they sportswomen or a bunch of girls having a bit of a kick and giggle?
go ask em yourself mate. Tell them they haven't earnt it first, call them a bunch of girls, then ask them. I ******* dare you to.

You definitely ******* won't, because this is the level of confrontation that you are capable of, ie literally none. But I ******* dare you none the less.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Because if we have the means to make sure they don't get paid s**t.... they don't have to be? Do they have to crawl through dirt to make them worthy to you as people?

Crawl through dirt? What a ridiculous comment. I want them to create their product from the ground up. I want them to earn the saturation media coverage they receive despite the very poor quality of their game. I want them to build their game by making it something people are willing to pay to go and see. Why the hell should they sail in on the coattails of men who spent over a hundred years building the game into a billion dollar industry without a helping hand from anyone?
Oh-and has one female player ever actually thanked the men who made their competition possible? All I hear is complaints and whining about more pay and a longer season. They are being carried by the men yet not one woman even acknowledges this fact. They speak crap abot "Girl power" and "Smashing the Patriarchy." It has already become a political vehicle. The Carlton footy club used their female teams entry into the comp as a platform to lecture us on respect and equality for women and an end to domestic violence. If this continues the fan drop off will only grow.

I had tears in my eyes the first time the girls ran out i the Collingwood jumper at Princes Park. I felt nothing but good will for the women's game. All of that good will dried up a couple of years ago with the lecturing, posturing and smashing the patriarchy bullshit. Just shut up and play the game.

Male players also went and fought in muddy trenches in Belgium at that same time.

Jassy Garner will get no respect from me until she's stormed a German pillbox outside Ypres.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
go ask em yourself mate. Tell them they haven't earnt it first, call them a bunch of girls, then ask them. I ******* dare you to.

You definitely ******* won't, because this is the level of confrontation that you are capable of, ie literally none. But I ******* dare you none the less.
Oh grow up. Why is any valid criticism of women immediately pounced upon as evidence of misogyny or contempt for women? Female journalists like Caroline Wilson have attacked, criticized and belittled male footballers and the standard of the game relentlessly for forty years. Does that make her a man hating misandrist? If not, why not?

Oh God why is a Collingwood supporter here?

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR WALLETS AND CAR KEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no its OK mate, I'm not "chasing" all good, yeah, have a good one buddy.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Male players also went and fought in muddy trenches in Belgium at that same time.

Jassy Garner will get no respect from me until she's stormed a German pillbox outside Ypres.
Playing a half decent standard of footy and only asking to be paid when they are actually bringing money into the AFL coffers will be more than enough.

Oh grow up. Why is any valid criticism of women immediately pounced upon as evidence of misogyny or contempt for women? Female journalists like Caroline Wilson have attacked, criticized and belittled male footballers and the standard of the game relentlessly for forty years. Does that make her a man hating misandrist? If not, why not?

Ummm, is that avatar a picture of you ******* a dog?

Playing a half decent standard of footy and only asking to be paid when they are actually bringing money into the AFL coffers will be more than enough.

Sooooooo, you're over on the Gold Coast board saying these same things about their blokes team right?

I didn't bring up misogyny mate, but no surprise a ******* collingwood supporter can't read. Go tell your lies about crying somewhere else.

When I last checked they were playing in the men's competition and are a part of the billion dollar deal won by the AFL based on media rights etc...

Ohhh so there's different rules for the blokes.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I didn't bring up misogyny mate, but no surprise a ******* collingwood supporter can't read. Go tell your lies about crying somewhere else.
What a disingenuous post. You told me to go and "call them a bunch of girls"- as if I view females as lesser human beings. Don't back off what you really want to say. Why would I be scared to say what I wrote to a female footballer? It's not a personal attack. You are the one who can't comprehend what he reads. You never explained why female footballers escape the scrutiny and criticism commentators and journalists direct at men. Well?

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Ohhh so there's different rules for the blokes.
Oh dear. You don't get it do you? They are an integral part of our men's competition which is the comp that brings in the big bucks. Their presence provides more tv coverage which leads to more money in the AFL coffers. Correct me if I'm wrong- you do have to pay to get into a Gold Coast game don't you?

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
All I see in 70% of AFLW criticism is a lot of blokes that need to sit down with a therapist and sort through their lady issues.

And there it is. It is astonishing. Any time a man dares to criticize a woman no matter how evidenced based his criticism may be, it all boils down to him having "issues"with women or a hatred of all women. It is the most gutless and pathetic way of avoiding a fact based response. The same ploy is used in politics. Talk about a free ride. Is there any circumstance under which it is permissible for a man to criticize a woman?

Women criticize men endlessly in the media? Do they have issues too?

Oh dear. You don't get it do you? They are an integral part of our men's competition which is the comp that brings in the big bucks. Their presence provides more tv coverage which leads to more money in the AFL coffers. Correct me if I'm wrong- you do have to pay to get into a Gold Coast game don't you?

Jesus Christ you people just make up any old s**t to try and get it fit your argument.

Now I have heard it all - the Gold Coast Suns are an integral part of the competition.

Turn it up Digger.

Now * off back to your own board.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Jesus Christ you people just make up any old s**t to try and get it fit your argument.

Now I have heard it all - the Gold Coast Suns are an integral part of the competition.

Turn it up Digger.

Now fu** off back to your own board.
Wave your white flag -that's the shot. See ya.
So the Gold Coast are going to be disbanded soon? I think not. Therefore= integral.

What a disingenuous post. You told me to go and "call them a bunch of girls"- as if I view females as lesser human beings. Don't back off what you really want to say. Why would I be scared to say what I wrote to a female footballer? It's not a personal attack. You are the one who can't comprehend what he reads. You never explained why female footballers escape the scrutiny and criticism commentators and journalists direct at men. Well?
"or a bunch of girls having a bit of a kick and giggle? "

you are ******* terrible at this.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What about the bit "not interested" that's so hard to understand?
I am not interested in plenty of other sports either, and as long as I don't have to watch them or read about them, it doesn't bother me. But for some reason AFL and NMFC now think that every AFL fan is automatically an AFLW fan. Which is a mistake.
Following a club, following footy media, watching neutral games on TV. Participating in a local footy club, kids footy. Throw in some VFL.
Who in their right mind could possibly have enough time to add AFLW to their schedule and become a "fan"?

Seems like the AFL feel they can throw anything down our throats , and we will consume it. AFLX anyone?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back