AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Snake this is the best football board. Plenty are comfortable with the AFLW particularly when it doesn’t effect our main team one bit.

You don't know that, nor can you guarantee that in future. I happen to know that this is NOT the case.

You’re not going to get a politicised pile on against it.

Hey, I knew that before I even posted mate, but I am only interested in truth as I see it. Being popular for it's own sake is for the sheep.

Most of us acknowledge the shortcoming and challenges of the AFLW. If you step back a bit, you’ll see the nuance. Accusations of being a fake supporter and parasites and political operatives are not leading to any worthwhile discussion.

But it is pure politics to me mate, and I despise seeing this club used in that way.

I am not alone with this thought either, although I am one of the very few that are prepared to talk out about it.

O.K. Time to be serious. My take is this when it comes to AFLW.

As a spectacle It doesn’t stack up to the AFL. My interest in watching the product is limited. I have watched a quarter here and there. The endeavour of the girls is first class. They tackle hard and by and large attack the ball with vigour. It is their skills and their ability to kick with distance which is the major difference between the current Women’s game to the Men’s.

If truth be told our Primary Interest lies in the Men’s Senior Side. That’s why we follow the Club. AFLW since it’s inception has been a precursor to the AFL season proper. Is this a bad thing? It has its time in the Sun for a month? Does having a Women’s Side Impact our Men’s Side? Our club in General? On the surface it appears it doesn’t. Snakes claims otherwise. If this is the case we need specifics Snakes. :stern look

What I like about AFLW is that it’s a pathway for young girls to play our great game at a National Level. I have a Mate who has a Daughter who loves Footy. She is 10 or 11? I’ve had a kick with her. She kicks the ball well. She plays local Footy. She’s always up for a kick. She dreams of playing Footy at the highest level possible when she gets older. She follows the Girls. She follows the Guys. That’s what AFLW offers. A Dream. A Future. It may not be for all of us but the next time you want to mock the AFLW, think of that young girl who dreams of playing our Great Game and being a Star.

Once again showing yourself to be a hypocritical f wit. You refuse to recognize the rational points made by others with an opposing view to yours and just label the posters as some bullshit PC warriors.

Can you acknowledge that males have had a privileged existence in the Aussie Rules community since the game was invented?

If not, then the sexist calls are spot on.
The insanity of your comments is frightening. Males had a privileged existence in the Aussie Rules community.
So by your logic women have had a privileged existence in the netball community and the fashion industry. It has nothing to do with the natural inclinations of boys/men as opposed to women and girls.
Men created a game.
Men played the game because it was enjoyable.
Men played the game for no financial gain for years.
The game grew in popularity.
Women loved watching the game as much as men.
Women played their own games during this time ie tennis, netball, hockey, athletics, gymnastics, badminston
Girls and boys played the game together until around the age of 13 and then out of consideration for the physical welfare of girls they were told to play in all girl competitions.
Men decided to create an elite competition for women who wished to play footy at a higher level.
Women still play netball and it is still exclusively played by women at the highest level.

Where is the privilege?

There have been no attempts to encourage more boys into playing netball or setting up an all boy competition to compete at the highest level.
If they say the demand isn't there then do what our government has been doing for decades. One could argue most women are not interested in STEM subjects or joining the army or police force but that doesn't stop the endless drive to get more women into these professions.

Make netball attractive for boys and actively pursue them.

Why is it that men always seem to be bending backwards to accommodate women and girls but this support is never reciprocated? The boy scouts were forced to become accessible to girls yet the Girl Guides and Brownies remain exclusively for females. Male sporting teams and competitions have raised tens of millions of dollars for women's health. I know of no female sporting community which has raised money for male specific diseases. The AFL creates an elite competition for women and subsidizes it with money earned by the men but no such generosity is demonstrated by Netball Australia.

I love the idea of a woman's competition. I love seeing girls and women kicking a footy. I want the AFLW to succeed so my granddaughter can play for the Pies. None of these comments in any way contradict my comments on the entitlement and lack of gratitude of some people associated with AFLW, the lack of genuine criticism of the female players when they perform poorly or the fact that it is not an enjoyable spectacle at this stage in its development.

Last edited:
To start off, I am not against female sport, I enjoy watching elite netball as well as my daughter's junior netball games. I was a foundation AFLW North member also.

In regards to the AFLW, I personally find it quite hard to watch, even infuriating at times, due to the amount of fundamental errors made. Would I go out of my way to go to a game? No, but the game needed a starting point though.

Being involved in a large junior football club I have seen first hand the growth in junior female participation, so the standard will be on an upward curve.

In saying that, the AFLW sides definitely ride on the existing passion of their clubs supporters. There is no way there would be the same amount of support for representative suburban sides or the same increase in junior participation rates if it wasn't for the tie in with AFL clubs.

A point made earlier in this thread was that all females like it. This is incorrect. My wife and mother-in-law are football lovers but have no interest in watching it because of it's current standard.

As a North person I hope the girls side is successful, mainly because it may have a positive impact on the Club via media, memberships and sponsors. This is why the Club ties it in with the men's side whenever possible in the media I believe.

At the end of the day, I doubt it is going anywhere as the product will no doubt improve. To a level that will win everyone over, I doubt it.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reasonable points mate.

Sponsorship, a pathway for girls and greater grass roots participation. We all know the standard isn’t there and will never quite be at the level of the blokes for obvious reasons, but we need the league.

As a spectacle It doesn’t stack up to the AFL. My interest in watching the product is limited. I have watched a quarter here and there. The endeavour of the girls is first class. They tackle hard and by and large attack the ball with vigour. It is their skills and their ability to kick with distance which is the major difference between the current Women’s game to the Men’s.

If truth be told our Primary Interest lies in the Men’s Senior Side. That’s why we follow the Club. AFLW since it’s inception has been a precursor to the AFL season proper. Is this a bad thing? It has its time in the Sun for a month? Does having a Women’s Side Impact our Men’s Side? Our club in General? On the surface it appears it doesn’t. Snakes claims otherwise. If this is the case we need specifics Snakes. :stern look

What I like about AFLW is that it’s a pathway for young girls to play our great game at a National Level. I have a Mate who has a Daughter who loves Footy. She is 10 or 11? I’ve had a kick with her. She kicks the ball well. She plays local Footy. She’s always up for a kick. She dreams of playing Footy at the highest level possible when she gets older. She follows the Girls. She follows the Guys. That’s what AFLW offers. A Dream. A Future. It may not be for all of us but the next time you want to mock the AFLW, think of that young girl who dreams of playing our Great Game and being a Star.

It may not be for all of us but the next time you want to mock the AFLW, think of that young girl who dreams of playing our Great Game and being a Star.

This is why people get frustrated with the AFLW. Scroll through this Big Footy site and you will find thousands of posts denigrating the AFL competition, it's standard and status and tens of thousands tearing into individual men who play the game. Mockery, denigration, hate are common fare the men are just expected to endure because they are in the public spotlight. How often have there been threads saying how bad the AFL game is today and calling it unwatchable? Is that sexist? Should such critics think about all the boys who dream of playing at the elite level which gets attacked and rubbished on multiple threads every season?

We are then told by the serious people at the AFL that the AFLW is an elite sport played by elite athletes. People come onto the footy forum to criticize the female players or the standard of their competition (offer their opinion on a forum for offering opinions) and they get branded women haters and told to F off and not write anything negative or just ignore the game. How is this double standard justified?

Last edited:
I can understand not liking the game but for real, just don't watch it, don't click the articles and scroll past AFLW posts. If you don't like it simply ignore it. Problem solved
Do you post the same comments when people continually bag the men's competition and the male players? If so, why bother having a forum to express differences of opinion? There would be zero discussion and no negative comments permitted if your attitude became the norm.

We are then told by the serious people at the AFL that the AFLW is an elite sport played by elite athletes. People come onto the footy forum to criticize the female players or the standard of their competition (offer their opinion on a forum for offering opinions) and they get branded women haters and told to F off and not write anything negative or just ignore the game. How is this double standard justified?
Stop playing victim. Even the most ardent AFLW fans have criticised the standard of play. Most will acknowledge it has expanded too quickly. Hell the sport of football itself needs to sort out its watchability issues.

Measured responses will not get you the response you claim.

Do you post the same comments when people continually bag the men's competition and the male players? If so, why bother having a forum to express differences of opinion? There would be zero discussion and no negative comments permitted if your attitude became the norm.
Is anyone claiming the men's game is being shoved down our throats and you can't ignore it because it's everywhere?
It's a totally different thing mate, I see Collingwood news all the time and scroll past it, I hear Collingwood on the news and it doesn't matter one iota to me
I don't go onto threads complaining about Collingwood because they simply don't matter to me.

However I watch the women's game because I find it interesting, I comment on it to share my thoughts and I do lament the current lack of skill but I understand that it's all part of a developing system, like going to see a local band. They aren't bloody queens of the Stone age but maybe they'll get there. I'm not gonna go watch a gig, claim someone shoved it down my throat then bitch about how it's not the music I like

I am all for the AFLW, but I think it has to mature at it's own pace, that includes the transition from amateur grade to professional competition and I think the AFLW should be a different body to the AFL and it should exist within it's own ecosystem. That is it should generate it's own revenue (broadcasting, sponsorship, advertising and otherwise), it should negotiate television rights to promote their product and they should develop their game in their own best interests, not just play a handful of games at a time of the year which is convenient for the AFL.

I still think existing clubs should be part of both the men's and women's competition, it will likely be easier to generate interest that way. I don't think the men's game should subsidise the women's game and in some aspects I think the AFL as a body is holding back the growth of the women's game with the way they structure it.

I do ignore it but you see it on the news when watching it, I see it posted on the afl app when I'm scrolling, and I don't click articles. It's just a bad made up product.
I don't like Ice Hockey. Going to complain on the St Kilda Board about ESPN shoving it down my throat.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bang!

Hammer, nail, head!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone claiming the men's game is being shoved down our throats and you can't ignore it because it's everywhere?
It's a totally different thing mate, I see Collingwood news all the time and scroll past it, I hear Collingwood on the news and it doesn't matter one iota to me
I don't go onto threads complaining about Collingwood because they simply don't matter to me.

However I watch the women's game because I find it interesting, I comment on it to share my thoughts and I do lament the current lack of skill but I understand that it's all part of a developing system, like going to see a local band. They aren't bloody queens of the Stone age but maybe they'll get there. I'm not gonna go watch a gig, claim someone shoved it down my throat then bitch about how it's not the music I like
I watch it too and I want the girls in black and white to win. I am also entitled to comment on the poor standard of matches (just as I do when the men play) or subsidization of their game by the men. I am free to get annoyed with female players or administrators who infer any criticism indicates you have a problem with women. I should be free to do all this without being told if I don't like something I should simply ignore it.

Stop playing victim. Even the most ardent AFLW fans have criticised the standard of play. Most will acknowledge it has expanded too quickly. Hell the sport of football itself needs to sort out its watchability issues.

Measured responses will not get you the response you claim.
I have not written a word which could be called inflammatory or anti woman but I have already been told I have issues with women. You are incorrect. I have never been told I have issues with men when I criticize the AFL players. Why?

I watch it too and I want the girls in black and white to win. I am also entitled to comment on the poor standard of matches (just as I do when the men play) or subsidization of their game by the men. I am free to get annoyed with female players or administrators who infer any criticism indicates you have a problem with women. I should be free to do all this without being told if I don't like something I should simply ignore it.
Good thing my post wasn't about people who watch AND criticise the games then

If you look at the post I replied to it was about the game being "shoved down our throats" which is a term I disagree with.
The AFL created a women's league they have the right to advertise it

Do you think a shorter ground and/or less players?

The insanity of your comments is frightening. Males had a privileged existence in the Aussie Rules community.
So by your logic women have had a privileged existence in the netball community and the fashion industry. It has nothing to do with the natural inclinations of boys/men as opposed to women and girls.
Men created a game.
Men played the game because it was enjoyable.
Men played the game for no financial gain for years.
The game grew in popularity.
Women loved watching the game as much as men.
Women played their own games during this time ie tennis, netball, hockey, athletics, gymnastics, badminston
Girls and boys played the game together until around the age of 13 and then out of consideration for the physical welfare of girls they were told to play in all girl competitions.
Men decided to create an elite competition for women who wished to play footy at a higher level.
Women still play netball and it is still exclusively played by women at the highest level.

Where is the privilege?

There have been no attempts to encourage more boys into playing netball or setting up an all boy competition to compete at the highest level.
If they say the demand isn't there then do what our government has been doing for decades. One could argue most women are not interested in STEM subjects or joining the army or police force but that doesn't stop the endless drive to get more women into these professions.

Make netball attractive for boys and actively pursue them.

Why is it that men always seem to be bending backwards to accommodate women and girls but this support is never reciprocated? The boy scouts were forced to become accessible to girls yet the Girl Guides and Brownies remain exclusively for females. Male sporting teams and competitions have raised tens of millions of dollars for women's health. I know of no female sporting community which has raised money for male specific diseases. The AFL creates an elite competition for women and subsidizes it with money earned by the men but no such generosity is demonstrated by Netball Australia.

I love the idea of a woman's competition. I love seeing girls and women kicking a footy. I want the AFLW to succeed so my granddaughter can play for the Pies. None of these comments in any way contradict my comments on the entitlement and lack of gratitude of some people associated with AFLW, the lack of genuine criticism of the female players when they perform poorly or the fact that it is not an enjoyable spectacle at this stage in its development.

The double standards applied to men and women are patently obvious for the world to see.

The AFL is no different.

I have not written a word which could be called inflammatory or anti woman but I have already been told I have issues with women. You are incorrect. I have never been told I have issues with men when I criticize the AFL players. Why?

That's about all you will get. A free internet psychoanalysis based upon nothing more than a different opinion that cannot be debated in an adult manner. Welcome to the internet.

That's about all you will get. A free internet psychoanalysis based upon nothing more than a different opinion that cannot be debated in an adult manner. Welcome to the internet.
I posted the figures you asked for proving that the AFL covers our women's team financial expenses. You didn't respond to that.
Are you just here looking to get into an ideological mud fight?
The speculation in the original article of the thread was shot down by yourself posting a different piece from the same day, so you've gone from angle to angle trying to win arguments that don't matter and ignoring posts or using buzzwords to disregard things you don't like.
Where are your facts that the AFLW has a negative impact on the club? Show me something tangible please. I've given you the courtesy of looking at news, figures and information for your discussion. You can do the same for me.

Was your evidence that funding received exceeds expenses?
I'd say funding covers the salary cap plus 150k extra costs which would likely cover coaching.
We also had a boost of 2.4 million dollars under "sales and sponsorship" between the 2018 and 19 seasons.
Some of that is probably Tasmanias 4th game but I'd say there's an argument there for AFLW money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back