AFL pre-season fixture to be released this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well we now finally know that the pre-season fixture will be released sometime this week. To give a brief summary of the article, an unknown sponsor and the AFL have come to an agreement with signatures just needed to officially confirm the deal and also the pre-season format will stay the same with clubs to play 3 games each. Heres the link to the article. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...fixture-close-to-release-20161205-gt4eui.html

They really need to bring it back to some sort of comp/silverware on the line.
Even just a first past the post on the ladder after 3 games would be okay with no GF, but just something!
Respectfully disagree
Remember the Richmond Port game last year? If clubs aren't even committed to risking 18 players on the field no prize please.
For us it was clear the first game was possibles and the last two probables.
Every year the pre season interests me as an opportunity see how guys have handled the off season and how new guys have come on. What I got from last year at Concorde was much our guys had developed physically. Even Matthews commented our boys had become men.
First round was a rude shock after that.
This year I want to see how Hopper, Matt Kennedy amd Himmelburg use their time, and how our draftees lòok early. Same for everyone surely.

I like the current format.
Yeah, I quite like the format of the pre-season now.

It allows clubs to expose their younger players against players already well established as well as players who are similar in development and age which I think strikes a good balance for these younger players.

Also it allows fans to get a first glimpse of their younger players who may become very good players one day and I think it's exciting for fans to see as they may not see these players play at all in-season.

Yeah, I quite like the format of the pre-season now.

It allows clubs to expose their younger players against players already well established as well as players who are similar in development and age which I think strikes a good balance for these younger players.

Also it allows fans to get a first glimpse of their younger players who may become very good players one day and I think it's exciting for fans to see as they may not see these players play at all in-season.
Exactly this. I for one really look forward to the preseason games each year for exactly these reasons. Really, really hoping there isn't a strike during this preseason, as I'm hugely looking forward to seeing us hopefully roll out a virtually under 25yo team for the first round of what was the NAB Challenge- especially if it is in fact against Port at Etihad, as was listed on our website the day the main 2017 season draw was announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Teams are playing for the Rats Tossbag trophy

images

Melbourne preseason games are:
18/2 v Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval 4.40
25/2 v Carlton @ Casey Fields 2.05
9/3 v West Coast @ Domain 5.40 Perth time
Interesting. I wonder if other clubs sent calendars containing the preseason fixture to their members too

I know that Richmond were scheduled to play Port Adelaide in Mount Gambier on 05/03/2017 but I don't know much else about the other opponents.

Others that I have read about are:

- Port Adelaide being scheduled to play:

St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium on 23/02/2017
Richmond @ Mount Gambier on 05/03/2017

- GWS being scheduled to play:

North Melbourne @ Manuka Oval. I don't know when though

I read that the preseason fixture will be released tomorrow anyway (quote from source is below) so this could be cleared up then.

The AFL will announce its match list on Wednesday for the preseason campaign with the Giants and Canberra's former team, the Kangaroos, expected to clash at Manuka Oval.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...manuka-oval-in-preseason-20161206-gt53wj.html

Essendon's Preseason fixtures

Thursday, 16 February
Collingwood Vs Essendon
Etihad Stadium
19:40 EDT

Sunday, 26 February
Gold Coast Suns Vs Essendon
Harrup Park Country Club (Mackay)
15:40 EST

Sunday, 12 March
Geelong Cats Vs Essendon
Queen Elizabeth Oval (Bendigo)