Review AFL Prospectus 2014 CARLTON

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2013
Perth , WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Do Any of you wonderful Carltonians have the 2014 AFL Prospectus? i have ordered mine and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive .

Any stats Carlton related that you all find interesting or disappointing ? what where our strengths and weaknesses from a statistical stand point?

A lot of the book is based on dream team and super coach. But they do break down every club and have a 2-3 page right up on them. Probably not worth the 39.95 plus 9.95 delivery for just that though .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A lot of the book is based on dream team and super coach. But they do break down every club and have a 2-3 page right up on them. Probably not worth the 39.95 plus 9.95 delivery for just that though .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The fantasy component is actually rather small (20-odd pages at the end). Most of the book is composed of a club-by-club analysis and an AFL-wide playing list review. Each player's past performances are examined in a paragraph and ONE sentence at the end summarises their fantasy relevancy. Personally, I think its definitely worth the money if you are interested in the numbers side of the game - fantasy or otherwise...

To your original question.
The opening header of Carlton chapter is titled 'Head Scratching' with subsection headed 'Now or Never. Needless to say, the writers (and the numbers) do not suggest we will win a flag in the next few years.

The fantasy component is actually rather small (20-odd pages at the end). Most of the book is composed of a club-by-club analysis and an AFL-wide playing list review. Each player's past performances are examined in a paragraph and ONE sentence at the end summarises their fantasy relevancy. Personally, I think its definitely worth the money if you are interested in the numbers side of the game - fantasy or otherwise...

The opening header of Carlton chapter is titled 'Head Scratching' with subsection headed 'Now or Never. Needless to say, the writers (and the numbers) do not suggest we will win a flag in the next few years.
That sounds more like me. Love the stats etc but don't have the time for Fantasy. If it's like that, sounds like it could be worth it :thumbsu:

Oh great, I was planning on buying the book and you go and blab how it finishes!

I have the book, a very solid read in your spare time. Looking through some of our key stats:

Contested Possession Difference: +7.5 - 4th
Found this interesting as at times last year it seemed we weren't winning a lot of contested ball.

Mark Play On (excl. F50): 38.8% - 2nd
Obvious tactic from Malthouse to use our run.

Kick to Handball Ratio: 1.59 - 1st
Not sure how to judge this one. We kicked a lot when it didn't seem to be our best option as shown below in our disposal efficiency.

Corridor Use from D50 - 15% - 18th
Boundary Use from D50 - 56.7% - 1st
An age old Malthouse tactic that every opponent knew was going to happen.

Disposal Efficiency: 70% - 18th
This is the biggest concern out of any stats. The fact that we were stone cold last out of the entire competition is dismal. Must improve if we are going to improve this year.

Disposals: 339.6 - 16th
When your disposal efficiency is terrible, you need to win more of the ball. Been in the bottom three in each stat is just atrocious.

Stoppages in Fwd Half: 33.1 - 5th
Points from Stoppages in Fwd Half: 17.7 - 5th
Our smaller players doing the job in scoring from stoppages.

Kick in Score Diff: -1.5pts - 15th
The glaring problem here is that we went from 1st in 2012 with +2.6pts to 15th. Not sure whether Malthouse tactics here were working/executed properly.

Hitouts Diff: +7.3 - 3rd
Hitouts to Advantage Diff: + 3.3 - 3rd
Clearances Diff: +3.9 - 3rd
Scores from Clearances Diff: +3.4 - 8th
Kreuzer and Warnock did the job getting it down to our smalls last year however we couldn't capitalize on our chances.

Plenty of other stats. If anyone is curious as to any let me know!

This is the biggest concern out of any stats. The fact that we were stone cold last out of the entire competition is dismal. Must improve if we are going to improve this year.
Carlton games were scrappy games, so while Carlton's disposal efficiency was low so was their opponents.
Carlton were ranked 3rd in disposal efficiency average difference, behind only Sydney & Freo.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2013&type=DA&sby=34&advv=Y

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting what various statistics can mean.

In isolation it sounded poor but when you look at that differential, it's not that bad.

Definitely an area to improve though.
Hmmm starting to wonder if footywire have stuffed up there actually. Sydney & Freo have numbers that seem excessive.

Nah that has to be wrong, Carlton's ave is 70.1% & ave against is higher at 71.2%

Hmmm starting to wonder if footywire have stuffed up there actually. Sydney & Freo have numbers that seem excessive.

Nah that has to be wrong, Carlton's ave is 70.1% & ave against is higher at 71.2%

Had another look at the stats, Carlton disposal efficiency difference was -1.1% which ranked 14th in the league.

I have the book, a very solid read in your spare time. Looking through some of our key stats:

Contested Possession Difference: +7.5 - 4th
Found this interesting as at times last year it seemed we weren't winning a lot of contested ball.
We were winning plenty of contested ball due to our blue collar nature but our uncontested side was atrocious. Almost everything Carlton did was done the hard way.

Mark Play On (excl. F50): 38.8% - 2nd
Obvious tactic from Malthouse to use our run.

Kick to Handball Ratio: 1.59 - 1st
Not sure how to judge this one. We kicked a lot when it didn't seem to be our best option as shown below in our disposal efficiency.
Long kick gameplan that uses the boundary line. No surprises here.
Corridor Use from D50 - 15% - 18th
Boundary Use from D50 - 56.7% - 1st
An age old Malthouse tactic that every opponent knew was going to happen.

Long kicking game plan = more kicks to contests. Plenty of sides had good DE from chipping the ball around for no real gain.
Disposals: 339.6 - 16th
When your disposal efficiency is terrible, you need to win more of the ball. Been in the bottom three in each stat is just atrocious.
Yep we lacked run and a lack of midfield options. Our disposals were low but we also kept our opponents to low disposal numbers more often then not.
Stoppages in Fwd Half: 33.1 - 5th
Points from Stoppages in Fwd Half: 17.7 - 5th
Our smaller players doing the job in scoring from stoppages.
Be nice to have our midfielders been a threat again from the forward stoppages. Didn't really see any of Murphy, Gibbs, Judd etc kicking goals from them.
Kick in Score Diff: -1.5pts - 15th
The glaring problem here is that we went from 1st in 2012 with +2.6pts to 15th. Not sure whether Malthouse tactics here were working/executed properly.
Personally I thought our kick ins were a lot better then last years with Henderson, Jamison and Walker doing a great job of it.
Hitouts Diff: +7.3 - 3rd
No surprises when you have three decent tap ruckmen
Hitouts to Advantage Diff: + 3.3 - 3rd
Warnock and Kreuzer both had a hand in this.
Clearances Diff: +3.9 - 3rd
Kind of surprising considering how limited our rotations were at times.
Scores from Clearances Diff: +3.4 - 8th
Kreuzer and Warnock did the job getting it down to our smalls last year however we couldn't capitalize on our chances.
Pretty terrible stat that I hope we put a lot of time into fixing since this cost us against the better teams.
Plenty of other stats. If anyone is curious as to any let me know!

Anything on forced turnovers, & scores from forced turnovers?
It seemed like some of the better teams put a lot of focus on this & Carlton fell a bit behind

Scoring from Turnovers: 53.7pts - 8th
Turnover Score Diff: +3.3pts - 10th

Things attributing to turnovers-

Tackling Diff: -1.3 - 12th (Down from +6.7 which ranked us 2nd in 2012)
Possession Gains in F50: 20.3 - 11th
Points from Possession Gains in F50: 28.0pts - 10th

Scoring from Turnovers: 53.7pts - 8th
Turnover Score Diff: +3.3pts - 10th

Things attributing to turnovers-

Tackling Diff: -1.3 - 12th (Down from +6.7 which ranked us 2nd in 2012)
Possession Gains in F50: 20.3 - 11th
Points from Possession Gains in F50: 28.0pts - 10th
The lack of forward pressure is a bit surprising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back