AFL proven totally inept at GF Entertainment AGAIN

Remove this Banner Ad

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
In a year when we are showing up NRL, and a golden chance in front of them with performers hardly working, the AFL have managed YET AGAIN to put together a 3rd rate uninspiring entertainment package for the GF. My God, Sheppard are from Brissie but had one hit 10 years ago. The rest are middling dance/pop pap (Cubsport and DMA's),and if you are going to get that Wolfmother guy, GET THE BAND, no-one is interested in Andrew Stockdale. Being publicly knocked back by Powderfinger I think set the tone for others to think that this would NOT be good for their careers given the AFL's joke reputation for entertainment. The Board should intervene with the CEO clearly a joke in this area and get an entertainment adviser independent of the management.

Why is this considered a relevant footy industry thread?? its a 75th order issue. But seeing its in here, I wrote this elsewhere the other day.

The entertainment ain't that important. The AFL don't really have a consistent philosophy what they want to do. Just give the job to Gudinski and he puts on the acts he manages and likes.

The NFL used to have uni marching bands and drill teams at their half time entertainment, they had a theme each year and started introducing a singer or two in the late 1980's to go with marching bands - I remember Chubby Checker and Gloria Estefan - they would sing a song or two.

Then January 1993 Super Bowl Michael Jackson performed, put on a big non traditional half time show, the ratings spiked and his 12 minutes achieved one of the highest ever ratings for a TV program in US TV history and it changed the game. After that the NFL said we are the biggest, baddest sport in the world, we are going to attract the biggest acts in the world to perform for the halftime shows, and maximize TV ratings during the halftime break.

The AFL can't tell you what they are trying to achieve with their pregame entertainment, like the NFL can.

Does anyone actually care about entertainment before the game? Honestly who cares...you are there for the game!

Just get "Up there Cazaly" on and start the game. The end.

How many people actually care about the half time entertainment?

Or who sings the national anthem?

Exactly lol

Get some yob from the crowd who is 10 beers deep to sing it for all I care

Why are there 5 artists? Sheppard are a good get for half time but do we really need 4 others plus the orchestra and national anthem before the game?

They must've all been very very cheap!

Love DMA's, but I don't think I've ever actually watched the entertainment, and I am sure the trend will continue.

Exactly lol

Get some yob from the crowd who is 10 beers deep to sing it for all I care

"Up There Cazaly" and "One Day In September" before the game. Play the October version or the September version. Im cool with either. Either live or by video. I dont care.

Then the anthem. Then start the game.

Half time have the race with the fastest runner from each team who is still in QLD and still adhering to full covid restrictions. If less than 10 comply call it off.

"Up There Cazaly" and "One Day In September" before the game. Play the October version or the September version. Im cool with either. Either live or by video. I dont care.

Then the anthem. Then start the game.

Half time have the race with the fastest runner from each team who is still in QLD and still adhering to full covid restrictions. If less than 10 comply call it off.

If not have a competition of beer pong where the loser has to sprint 100m lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GF entertainment is the match.

Some other stuff is thrown in to fill the gaps.

Given the stories of dancers being asked to perform for free as there wasn't the money in the budget to pay for them, I'm guessing the purse strings were tight this year, so they got whoever was cheap (but still had enough cred to seem like that wasn't the reason).

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the GF entertainment and any other crap that makes it impossible for the AFL to organise a grand final once the preliminary final winners are known. But it doesn't matter, I guess. No matter what anyone says, it's going to be at the MCG until 2058. w***ers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back