AFL pulls plug on Chris Judd's controversial third-party deal with Visy

Remove this Banner Ad

Most third party deals are legit, and include payments for appearances on footy shows, modelling, ambassadorships, etc. The reason Judd's deal is so controversial is because VISY were a known Carlton benefactor leading up to this arrangement.

But wouldn't most third party deals be with club sponsors or 'benefactors' ?

The most blatant example yet of the AFL making it up as they go along. If anyone looks me in the eye and tries to tell me again that this is a professionally-run competition, I'll laugh.

"It is not appropriate to release my specific reasons for exercising my discretion in this case to refuse approval for the arrangements to be excluded from Carlton's salary cap. My decision is related to a tightening of the rules."
- Adrian Anderson

Chrissake.
lol are they serious?

Imagine on a personal note, Bec is probably booked in for a cosmetic surgery that requires funds from Visy to clear....

Shoot first at AFL house.

But wouldn't most third party deals be with club sponsors or 'benefactors' ?

Sponsors and benefactors are two different things. VISY and Pratt selflessly sunk their money into the club for the benefit of the club, and therefore the payments to Judd can be seen as another such payment.

Also the only 3rd party deal involved with the president's company, that I know of.

Well done Eddie McGuire for keeping the pressure on the AFl over this cushy little arrangement. Just like when the Brisbane Lions were allowed hundreds of thousands extra in their salary cap to stop their poor little darlings getting homesick.
McGuire was the main reason why the AFL belatedly decided to rescind that ridiculous concession.About time other club presidents did some of the heavy lifting on these issues.
Exactly, Well Done Eddie, much appreciated :)

I think its safe to say this has already been blown out of proportion. As someone who has worked on investigations with high media attention, I can safely say that HS and Age always get their facts wrong, and make things up to get the story first.

No different in this case where they have failed to mention it only applies to NEW agreements - see AFL article i posted earlier.

Well done Eddie McGuire for keeping the pressure on the AFl over this cushy little arrangement. Just like when the Brisbane Lions were allowed hundreds of thousands extra in their salary cap to stop their poor little darlings getting homesick.
McGuire was the main reason why the AFL belatedly decided to rescind that ridiculous concession.About time other club presidents did some of the heavy lifting on these issues.

Yeah right, meanwhile collingwood had no problems with all the extra outside financial advantages they got from Mcguire's C9 status - and also all the extra Footy show, TV appearance's, exposure, marketing and appearance opportunity's his players got - no problem with that he had.

this ahs nothing to do with Eddie, he is a ******* twat. From the sounds of things this has been in the pipeline of the AFL for a long long time - all Eddie has been doing is piping on about it in the media so that when they announced it, it looked like it was because of "his presence & stance".

LMAO

yeah right. Its exactly what the ancient Pharohs & Aztecs used to do to act like they were gods. They would study the astrology of the Sun and would figure out when the next Eclipse would happen. The months proceeding the would proclaim to be the gods, eventually leading to something like " In 3 moons time, i will prove i am a god by making the sun disappear - leaving our world in complete darkness". 3 days later, eclipse happens - the village idiots swoon and kiss the fee of their new god.

Eddie has * all to do with this - all he has done is used some inside information to back a winning horse.

But money is allowed to be paid outside the cap. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.

In 2012 clubs were allowed to pay a total of $613000 in the form of Additional Service Agreements.

If a hundred players have third party deals and Judd's is worth $250K, the other deals are obviously much smaller. Judd's deal was unique.

The problem is this deal should never have been approved in the first place!!

What were they smoking up in AFL house back then?

What are they smoking now?

It must be good sh*t!!!

The AFLPA were pushing for free agency, which the AFL didn't want. Judd declared his preference for Carlton (quite possibly because of the Visy arrangement). It was in the AFL's interests for the game's #1 player to get to his destination of choice in order to placate the AFLPA. It's served its purpose and now the AFL are removing the privilege.

Sponsors and benefactors are two different things. VISY and Pratt selflessly sunk their money into the club for the benefit of the club, and therefore the payments to Judd can be seen as another such payment.

Also the only 3rd party deal involved with the president's company, that I know of.

At the time of Judd signing the Visy deal over 100 players had third party contracts. How many of those players could you name, and how many of those 100 companies could you name? Given there is only so much money to go around in this country I'm thinking it won't be the only contract between a player and a president/board member/benefactor's coompany, we just don't know about it because they're not Chris Judd and Visy.

What dont some of you people understand? The Judd/Visy deal was negotiated by his manager, not by Carlton. The AFL ticked it off and now are changing the rules before it ends, something would not stand up in court. Adelaide organised the Tippett ( and possibly Van Berlo and i wonder how many others) which is against the rules.
Some supporters of other clubs must be aware that some of the other 120 players on 3rd party deals are probably their own players so dont be too hasty to come on here calling for blood.

Negotiated by his manager with the company owned by the president of the carlton football club. Your kidding yourself if you think it was not Pratt who set this deal up.

The most blatant example yet of the AFL making it up as they go along. If anyone looks me in the eye and tries to tell me again that this is a professionally-run competition, I'll laugh.

"It is not appropriate to release my specific reasons for exercising my discretion in this case to refuse approval for the arrangements to be excluded from Carlton's salary cap. My decision is related to a tightening of the rules."
- Adrian Anderson

Chrissake.
One of the objects of the law of the land is to allow people to live their lives and conduct business with some certainty.

Players can no longer make agreements and believe that the AFL will stick by their approval.

Other club supporters chuckling with glee are being foolish.

The AFL has now added a "sovereign risk" element to every contract.

The AFL is being hypocritical given their long history of incestuous business dealings. Spotless Catering leaps to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd's deal was signed off. Like it or not the AFL can't hurt us on that one. In fact Judd could hypothetically sue them as he signed a contract 5 years ago based on their acceptance of this deal. By reneging they are denying him income.

From what I understand this is happening now because the initial contract has run its course and Visy/Judd were applying for an extension. So I see it as pretty understandable, given the fact that the AFL have previously given the deal the tick but also stated that it wouldn't be allowed if inked today.

Now if Judd's position at visy was legit, there should be a job opening up.

Maybe check out seek.com

Position Vacant - Environmental Ambassador salary 250k

Might send in a resume. :rolleyes:

Post up a photo. I'll work out what your image is worth and let you know how short of $250k you are ;)

Yeah right, meanwhile collingwood had no problems with all the extra outside financial advantages they got from Mcguire's C9 status - and also all the extra Footy show, TV appearance's, exposure, marketing and appearance opportunity's his players got - no problem with that he had.

this ahs nothing to do with Eddie, he is a ******* twat. From the sounds of things this has been in the pipeline of the AFL for a long long time - all Eddie has been doing is piping on about it in the media so that when they announced it, it looked like it was because of "his presence & stance".

LMAO

yeah right. Its exactly what the ancient Pharohs & Aztecs used to do to act like they were gods. They would study the astrology of the Sun and would figure out when the next Eclipse would happen. The months proceeding the would proclaim to be the gods, eventually leading to something like " In 3 moons time, i will prove i am a god by making the sun disappear - leaving our world in complete darkness". 3 days later, eclipse happens - the village idiots swoon and kiss the fee of their new god.

Eddie has **** all to do with this - all he has done is used some inside information to back a winning horse.
Who is Richmond's President?

"Babes, you told me this was all above board," wailed Rebecca into her Gucci diamond studded phone as she waited impatiently by the counter at the Fendi store. "My card has totally bounced and now I look like some povvo bogan with a UFC fighter for a husband".

"Babes, you told me this was all above board," wailed Rebecca into her Gucci diamond studded phone as she waited impatiently by the counter at the Fendi store. "My card has totally bounced and now I look like some povvo bogan with a UFC fighter for a husband".
"LOL"

The AFL has NOT pulled the plug on Chris Judds deal with Visy. Said deal still has a year to run & there is nothing they can do about it. The AFL has said that the money must be included as part of Carlton's salary cap.

Judd & Visy can have no legitimite complaint about this, but Carlton has good reason to feel a little (very tiny) annoyed. This will make their salary cap harder to handle. But given that the AFL should never have allowed the deal to be outside the cap in the first place. What Carlton have lost is an unfair advantage they should never have received.

The AFL has NOT pulled the plug on Chris Judds deal with Visy. Said deal still has a year to run & there is nothing they can do about it. The AFL has said that the money must be included as part of Carlton's salary cap.

Judd & Visy can have no legitimite complaint about this, but Carlton has good reason to feel a little (very tiny) annoyed. This will make their salary cap harder to handle. But given that the AFL should never have allowed the deal to be outside the cap in the first place. What Carlton have lost is an unfair advantage they should never have received.
Lucky Carlton didn't make a trade

The AFLPA were pushing for free agency, which the AFL didn't want. Judd declared his preference for Carlton (quite possibly because of the Visy arrangement). It was in the AFL's interests for the game's #1 player to get to his destination of choice in order to placate the AFLPA. It's served its purpose and now the AFL are removing the privilege.

Exactly.

Well summarised RTB. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back