AFL Purchase Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It was Collo who screwed us. The AFL took their time fixing it, sure. And the AFL would have been across the original deal and let it go through. But you'd expect there is a lot of fine detail in the arrangements that needs to be worked through, stress-tested and signed off. I wasn't surprised they didn't rush a new deal in a month after taking over, but to go in without getting their s**t together this year would have been poor.
Spot on Re. Ian Collins, what a track record that piece of work has, IIRC, his fingerprints were all over the Fitzroy merger fiasco too, i can remember the quote where upon hearing that the merge with Brisbane had gone through, he said " we finally got rid of them".

State Government strikes deal with AFL to relocate and rent new footy HQ
Monique Hore, Herald Sun
18 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE AFL has struck a deal with the State Government to rent a site for its new headquarters at peppercorn prices.

The league will be pushed from its current home near Etihad Stadium to make way for a major $225 million makeover of the stadium precinct.

The Herald Sun understands the AFL has its eye on a new location at New Quay.

Treasurer Tim Pallas revealed that the relocation deal had been struck as part of a package to upgrade the Docklands stadium, as well as others across the city, and keep the AFL grand final in Melbourne until 2057.

Asked whether it was correct that the AFL would get the site for free or peppercorn rent, he said: “it is”.

1f8c1880b69075de14f75d21499ae5db

What Etihad Stadium will look like. Picture: Supplied
“The arrangements that we put in place are that they will be able to access a facility, a piece of land, for AFL headquarters,” Mr Pallas said.

“It will be renegotiated around about the time that control of the AFL grand final staying in Melbourne (2057) is up for review.

“We hope to have them as a landlocked hostage.”

ee87e3412289bc686a2941916aa4bb86

The Etihad Stadium precinct will undergo a major revamp. Picture: Supplied
AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said: “There will be discussions now about where AFL House willbe located in a number of years time as this refurbishment work gets underway.”

Mr Pallas also revealed in a post-Budget addressto business that the government had splashed about $100m to buy the Docklands tower that currently houses Channel 7.

The move is also part of the revamp plan to open the esplanade to the waterfront.

“It is long overdue,” Mr Pallas said.

“The one thing that everyone would have to say about Etihad is that it is not visually splendid.

“A bit more work in connecting Etihad to the waterfront, opening it up, would be a good investment for all involved.”

I can not describe how ‘meh’ I am around beautifying the Etihad precinct.

I am more meh about the argument that the Docklands precinct remains a lame duck because the stadium blocks access to the Docklands promenade. More likely there is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever go to the Docklands promenade. In fact, the stadium is the only reason to go the other side of Spencer St.

I am more meh about the argument that the Docklands precinct remains a lame duck because the stadium blocks access to the Docklands promenade. More likely there is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever go to the Docklands promenade. In fact, the stadium is the only reason to go the other side of Spencer St.
there is a pretty good seafood buffet there. But other than that....

there is a pretty good seafood buffet there. But other than that....
Dolphins over at the docks two days ago. And the last two days, people are catching pinkies and snapper in the water. Just today, people have caught 5 x 35 cm+ pinkies each.

Dolphins over at the docks two days ago. And the last two days, people are catching pinkies and snapper in the water. Just today, people have caught 5 x 35 cm+ pinkies each.

Geez things have improved since I was out on the tear. The closest I came to catching anything down the docks way in the late 80's and early 90's was the crabs I caught from a chick at the Waterside Workers pub.

Geez things have improved since I was out on the tear. The closest I came to catching anything down the docks way in the late 80's and early 90's was the crabs I caught from a chick at the Waterside Workers pub.

The legendary "early openers"

6:00 am was reminiscent of the bar in the original star wars movie.

Last edited:
The legendary "early openers"

6:00 am was reminiscent of the bar in the original star wars movie.

It was. Used to stumble in there after the clubs had shut up shop and was sure to see blood spilt, usually on the footpath. Great days!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might also know her.

Talking of Etihad, how hot is our new mascot Ruby? She has to be the sexiest mascot in the AFL. I used to have a bit of a thing for Captain Carltons significant other but she's been put in the shade well and truly. What I wouldn't give to strip Ruby down and go to town. I'd give her a right royal roo rumble that she wouldn't forget....No doubt she'd bound off with a smile on her face a mile wide. Do any other forum members harbour sordid fantasies about AFL mascots or am I the only one? Its the forbidden love that dares not speak its name......

Talking of Etihad, how hot is our new mascot Ruby? She has to be the sexiest mascot in the AFL. I used to have a bit of a thing for Captain Carltons significant other but she's been put in the shade well and truly. What I wouldn't give to strip Ruby down and go to town. I'd give her a right royal roo rumble that she wouldn't forget....No doubt she'd bound off with a smile on her face a mile wide. Do any other forum members harbour sordid fantasies about AFL mascots or am I the only one? Its the forbidden love that dares not speak its name......
AA2E474D-7716-4655-A03E-4BD50A425640.gif

You realise there's a bloke underneath the costume. NTTAWWT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back