AFL Queensland Schools Cup

Discussion in 'School Football' started by GC2015, Jan 8, 2018.

Put it out there
  1. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    I wanted to start this thread because recent years has seen the emergence of a powerhouse when it comes to producing AFL players in Queensland. Palm Beach Currumbin High School (PBC) on the Gold Coast has had six players (Jesse Joyce, Brad Scheer, Max Spencer, Brayden Crossley, Jacob Heron and Jacob Dawson) drafted to the Suns in the last three years and are currently back-to-back state champions.

[​IMG]

They are also expecting this trend to continue in 2018 with the likes of Caleb Graham looking likely to be drafted by the Suns. It's quite impressive and I think the thread will mostly be dedicated to PBC but I'd like to also include other school results in Queensland, particularly state cup results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    I should have mentioned the most notable graduate from PBC is definitely Dayne Beams so it's not as if the school has never produced talented AFL players in the past. Sam Gilbert and Claye Beams also attended PBC.

3. BringBackTorps

BringBackTorps All Australian

GWS
    Other teams:
    Do you consider you have a good knowledge of the SEQ jnr.(whether school or community) AF scene? I assume you live there.

Why do you think there are such huge regd. nos. (60,000+) of jnr. & adult females playing AF?
    Do you think similar large nos. will, in future years, want to play contact RL or RU?

The NRL dominates TV ratings in Qld., & is the no.1 sport. Are you aware if there are many "traditional" (ie father played, or is a strong follower of the NRL) RL families where some or most of their kids play AF?
    Ditto RU families?

Are there many kids playing both AF & soccer?

4. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:

Iona College took out the South Brisbane regional qualifier this week. A few notable players have come out of Iona like Josh Smith (Collingwood), Tom Hickey (St Kilda) and Tom Bell (Brisbane).

6. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    North Lakes State College took out the Brisbane North regional qualifier yesterday and Kenmore State High School won the Brisbane South Twilight regional qualifier tonight. Also, St Andrew's Anglican College took out the Sunshine Coast regional qualifier earlier this week. Gold Coast schools will play in a few weeks.