Preview AFL R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Metricon 6:25pm 21 Mar 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the reason Wright was behind when the ball was kicked to him on Friday is that he is so slow. His endurance is ok. He always looks tired, but can run all day and doesn’t look more tired late in games. He is just very slow when he needs to sprint. Teammates were kicking to where he should have run to. He just wasn’t arriving in time.

Case by case breakdown of each potential debutant IMO:
  • Matt Rowell - There would have to be an extreme drop off in productivity for Rowell to not have an influence in this game. Absolute lock to play and should significantly contribute.
  • Noah Anderson - He showed flashes of brilliance in the preseason but also went missing for periods. Unsurprisingly, he already combines really well with Rowell and that's excellent for our future. I believe he will play and hope he steps it up a little to put forward a four quarter effort.
  • Izak Rankine - The x factor we're already raring to see play. Sexton's injury should mean Rankine is a lock to play but even if Sexton gets up for round 1, it wouldn't be surprising to see Rankine debut. I think Rankine plays regardless of injuries.
  • Connor Budarick - Showed plenty in the preseason and I believe is already better than Joyce. Hanley is unlikely to play and Harbrow is a possibility to miss as well so we really need someone like Budarick to play off the half back line and provide us with some run as we transition from D50 to the midfield. I think he plays round 1 but only because of injuries to Hanley and Harbrow as well as likely providing more than Joyce. My preference would be for Budarick AND Harbrow to play off the half back line as I believe they'll create a Saad-McKenna like combination that Essendon have benefitted greatly from.
  • Jeremy Sharp - I really like what I saw from Sharp in the preseason but unfortunately I just don't think there is a spot for him on the wing with Ellis, Anderson and likely others ahead of him. Sharp misses out on a round 1 debut in my books but it's entirely possible he debuts not long afterwards if he plays well in the NEAFL.
I think we're going to play four debutants in this one and Sharp is unfortunately the one who misses out.

I can see Sharp debuting before Round 4. He would not look out of place. I reckon he would be pretty stoked if he made his debut against Fremantle at Optus where all his family and friends can watch in Round 4.

I wouldn't be comparing Joyce and Budarick as I think they are very different players.

Joyce is a bit taller and more of a shut down/intercept type player, his main competition for that spot would be Ballard who is currently injured.

Budarick is more along the lines of Hanley and Harbrow as the running off a HB with pace.

If Harbrow doens't play, I would be slotting Budarick in, otherwise that is Harbrows spot IMO.

I wouldn't be comparing Joyce and Budarick as I think they are very different players.

Joyce is a bit taller and more of a shut down/intercept type player, his main competition for that spot would be Ballard who is currently injured.

Budarick is more along the lines of Hanley and Harbrow as the running off a HB with pace.

If Harbrow doens't play, I would be slotting Budarick in, otherwise that is Harbrows spot IMO.
I still don't think Joyce is a shut down defender, he doesn't have the pace to keep up with small forwards and doesn't have the height or strength to outmark the midsized Tim Membry types. Budarick is quite sound defensively as he was a defensive sort of midfielder anyway, has pace and is a better user of the footy, I'd run Harbrow and Budarick as your rebounding defenders with Budarick able to lock down. Bowes for the time being plays that mid sized defender roll as he looked great in that roll against Adelaide.

I thought Joyce did alright against Adelaide FWIW, more so than Budarick. Took 6 marks, had 6 intercept possessions, and looked pretty solid. One of the marks stands out as a good contested grab as well.

Again, once Hombsch is fit, he comes in over Joyce, but as much as I love Budaricks game and thought he looked solid against the Cats, the half he played against Adelaide, didn't catch my eye.

I'm also aware I don't want to throw 4 first games in round 1, because I don't think teams have won too many games doing the same thing.

Budarick will be a good player, and once Harbrow retires that running HB spot is all his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't rate Joyce as best 18, as for Budarick is he the same as joyce, of course not Joyce had a few pre season,,,
, had play multiple AFL games and get demote to Neafl last year.

Joyce spot is on the bench, you don't need the same type outside of best 18.

We know Dew likes having pace in his side (look at line ball selection decisions over the last two years that have gone in Heron's favour as evidence) so I think that really bodes well for Budarick's chances to debut in round 1. I'd actually really like to see Budders and Harbs both play off half back because I really think that complements our high pressure game style and slingshot attacking/counter attacking football that has been so effective in the AFL in recent years.

We're going to see a less conservative approach to football games this year and I also feel that helps Budarick's chances.

Adjustments.JPG

When: Saturday 21 March
Where: Metricon Stadium
Gates Open: 4.30pm
Game starts: 6.25pm

Join us in celebrating the start of our 10th season in the AFL! With exciting pre-match show from 5.30pm featuring Gold Coast’s own Casey Barnes, fireworks and free kids activities including hair braiding and face painting - this will be one not to be missed!

Gold Coast v Port Adelaide, Metricon Stadium, 6.25pm AEST

GOLD COAST

B:
Jesse Joyce, Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Jack Bowes, Caleb Graham, Jarrod Harbrow
C: Brandon Ellis, Will Brodie, Noah Anderson
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, David Swallow
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Darcy Macpherson
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Hugh Greenwood, Lachie Weller
I/C: Brayden Fiorini, Matt Rowell, Nick Holman, Touk Miller
EMERG: Jack Hombsch, Jordan Murdoch, Connor Budarick, Sean Lemmens

NEW: Noah Anderson, Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Izak Rankine, Matt Rowell
UNAVAILABLE: Charlie Ballard (shoulder), Anthony Miles (chest), Wil Powell (knee), Alex Sexton (hamstring)

NOTES: Plenty of new faces during the off-season means plenty of change for the Suns. Although Sexton has not been ruled out of the opening round, it would be crazy to risk him for the sake of waiting another game or two. This opens the door for Rankine – also fresh back from a shoulder injury – to debut. He will be joined by fellow debutants Rowell and Anderson, exposing the bright future of the Suns first-up. Co-captain Witts and reliable running defender Harbrow are coming off pre-season injuries but are experienced and will not miss a beat. Brodie's excellent pre-season earns him a midfield spot, while Lemmens is the unluckiest omission. – Michael Whiting

Gold Coast v Port Adelaide, Metricon Stadium, 6.25pm AEST

GOLD COAST

B:
Jesse Joyce, Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Jack Bowes, Caleb Graham, Jarrod Harbrow
C: Brandon Ellis, Will Brodie, Noah Anderson
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, David Swallow
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Darcy Macpherson
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Hugh Greenwood, Lachie Weller
I/C: Brayden Fiorini, Matt Rowell, Nick Holman, Touk Miller
EMERG: Jack Hombsch, Jordan Murdoch, Connor Budarick, Sean Lemmens

NEW: Noah Anderson, Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Izak Rankine, Matt Rowell
UNAVAILABLE: Charlie Ballard (shoulder), Anthony Miles (chest), Wil Powell (knee), Alex Sexton (hamstring)

NOTES: Plenty of new faces during the off-season means plenty of change for the Suns. Although Sexton has not been ruled out of the opening round, it would be crazy to risk him for the sake of waiting another game or two. This opens the door for Rankine – also fresh back from a shoulder injury – to debut. He will be joined by fellow debutants Rowell and Anderson, exposing the bright future of the Suns first-up. Co-captain Witts and reliable running defender Harbrow are coming off pre-season injuries but are experienced and will not miss a beat. Brodie's excellent pre-season earns him a midfield spot, while Lemmens is the unluckiest omission. – Michael Whiting
Happy with Whiting's team. Lemmens possibly replacing Holman for me.

Yeah reckon he is spot on. Lemmens / Holman the only consideration for me really.

Purely on versatility and minutes Rotation - Joyce - Florini / Budarick. HB, Mid , HF.
Holman - Lemmens/ Brodie, Greenwood, Miller.

If florini not a leader, out of contract, some versatility he is out for me, move the ball very slowly. Joyce at least play very good footy for two quarter and then panic in third and last as usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back