Preview AFL R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Metricon 6:25pm 21 Mar 2020

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
No, I'm sorry but that take is just wrong.
Being a young player in an experienced team is so much easier than being a young player in a young team. Our guys are no less skilled as players but they're just not able to show their skills in current set up.

Our midfield got smashed by a more experience and harder outfit.
Our defence was young and paper thin. The 6 defenders (Collins, Graham, Buderick, Bowes, Lukosius, Fiorini) have less than 150 games between them.

Georgiades was surrounded by Gray, Ebert, Westhoff, Rozee, Marshall - about 800 games between them. That makes a huge, huge difference.
Joyce?
Marshall, Rozee, butters, duursma, Spp are around Joyce age or younger.
Joyce gifted AFL games is around Rozee, Butters, and Duursma combine together last year.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Damn doggie get No 1 and their academy player. Where is those peoples who predict Sydney wooden spoon after two pre season games :)

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Hope so :thumbsu: Be interesting to see how they adjust the season / finals if there is.
I read in here somewhere that the shortened quarters were designed to allow multiple games each week.
They should try and squeeze in a Lions game for us midweek. Same with games between the two SA clubs, WA clubs, NSW clubs and the Vic clubs to stop travel.
We are better than what we put up last night.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I read in here somewhere that the shortened quarters were designed to allow multiple games each week.
They should try and squeeze in a Lions game for us midweek. Same with games between the two SA clubs, WA clubs, NSW clubs and the Vic clubs to stop travel.
We are better than what we put up last night.
Might be a positive side to all this mayhem. We need to play together against real opposition as much as possible to fast track development and this might be it.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can't believe the person suggested Sydney take wooden spoon after two pre season game , bring Brad crouch name up. Must be some other virus going around.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Not impressed with the post game interview, he was measured in his comments but where is the anger, he has every right to be angry about that effort. It’s just not acceptable ( the lack of effort) anymore

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No chance to atone for this any time soon now. Going to sit in their guts for a bit.
That's possibly a good thing though? Losing grand finalists often talk about how the loss burns them for months and makes them more determined to train the house down during preseason training. I imagine we'll have to go through some sort of mini preseason period and we should get a lot of key players back from injuries like Rory, Harbs, Hanley and Rankine. It'll almost feel like a new season by the time we're back to playing games and the players will be well aware of the fact that last night's performance was a long way off the mark if we want to be competitive in this league.

We get a second chance after what can only be described as a very poor performance last night.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sure, add Joyce in.

The point is about the whole team not individuals.
I agree, I just sick of the same peoples praise players up in Pre season and after one AFL games turn against them.
They are real players not AFL fantasy or supercoach you can just trade two players out each week.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree, I just sick of the same peoples praise players up in Pre season and after one AFL games turn against them.
They are real players not AFL fantasy or supercoach you can just trade two players out each week.
Happy for you to quote me examples of this.

We're allowed to say someone had a bad game. Doesn't mean we're condemning them to failure.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Happy for you to quote me examples of this.

We're allowed to say someone had a bad game. Doesn't mean we're condemning them to failure.
is like an equalizer better don't said anything in pre-season game. Pump it up so high and bring them down so low, is worse them condemning , at least condemning mean you still got some sort of emotion (human feeling) , this is treating players as some kind of toy , played with them for a day and throw them away after that .

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I posted elsewhere here not to get your hopes up - I was widely panned for doing so.

We have a heap of boys playing a man's game- a lot of young bodies got shown up, including our higher draft picks.

As the game got out of hand, Dewy took Swallow out of the forward line and put him back in the middle.

Posters here need to have a re-think on a bunch of our young players as best 22 - they could be nice depth players, but don't become attached to them.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I posted elsewhere here not to get your hopes up - I was widely panned for doing so.

We have a heap of boys playing a man's game- a lot of young bodies got shown up, including our higher draft picks.

As the game got out of hand, Dewy took Swallow out of the forward line and put him back in the middle.

Posters here need to have a re-think on a bunch of our young players as best 22 - they could be nice depth players, but don't become attached to them.
Alright I’ll bite.
Are you saying they’re not best 22 now due to their size, youth? Or are you saying don’t get attached to them because they won’t be first 22 footballers in years to come?

Back