Review AFL R2 vs West Coast @ Metricon 7:40pm 13 June 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

My assessment of each players game.
I have rated this purely on performance - no bump up in rating purely because someone is a rookie.

Ainsworth: 7/10 - started slow but got involved late and snuffed out any chance of a WC comeback. 16 possessions, 7 contested, 2 goals, 7 score involvements
Anderson: 5/10 - 19 disposals but rushed at times. Nice finish for goal. 19 disposals @ 57%, 33% kicking efficiency, 7 clangers, 1 goal, 3 score involvements
Ballard: 6/10 - Beaten only once or twice. Didn't offer a lot of drive from defence but did his job. 1 contested intercept mark, 11 1%ers
Bowes: 8/10 - Offered a lot of drive from defence. Assured with ball in hand. 17 disposals @88%, 6 intercept possessions.
Budarick: 8/10 - Thought he was outstanding on Cripps, one of the most reliable small forwards in the competition. Rebounded well. 16 disposals.
Collins: 8/10 - Didn't get out marked once. Was often there to cut of West Coast exit from their back half. 10 1%ers, played 100% TOG.
Day: 9/10 - Presented, clean hands in marking contests, 2 goals, 3 goal assists, team high 8 score involvements. West Coast defenders kept accountable.
Fiorini: 6/10 - Link up player on way out of defence, Bowes to Fiorini a number of times. 21 disposals, only 5 contested but 81% DE. Few sloppy kicks inside 50.
Greenwood: 7/10 - Not a flashy game but worked hard in the trenches, 20 disposals, 14 contested @ 55%, team high 7 clearances, kicked a goal.
Hanley: 8/10 - Started well, provided drive team high 7 intercept possessions + 433m gained. His spoil, delivery i50 lead to Lukosius goal put us up 25 in q3.
Harbrow: 6/10 - Ryan had opportunities but didn't capitalise, gave away a free to give Allen a goal. 10 disposals @ 100%.
Holman: 5/10 - Bought the forward pressure. Antagonistic, tackled hard. Nice goal but didn't do much offensively, only 6 possessions.
King: 6/10 - Presented lots, contested well, just inches away from having a great game. Equal career high 7 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 shots on goal.
Lemmens 8/10 - Hassled and harassed when we didn't have the ball. 12 possessions, 8 contested @ 83%, team high 7 score involvements. 1 goal, 2 GA.
Lukosius 6/10 - Wasn't perfect defensively but used his laser boot well, 355m gained. 1 goal, Sam Day should have spotted him up for a second in 1st half.
Macpherson 5/10 - Was solid with imposing himself, didn't do anything wrong. Kicked 1 and 1 goal assist, good positioning permitted Lukosius goal.
Miller 7/10 - 22 possessions, 4 tackles, pressured well around the clinches. Did well to nullify Kelly's influence second half.
Powell 7/10 - 21 possessions, 8 contested @71%, linking midfield to forward line, equal team high 7 score involvements. few sloppy kicks, getting stronger.
Rowell 10/10 - What more can you say. Bull, 100% heart, speed and strength from contest. Polish to finish up front. Complete game from the youngster.
Sexton 5/10 - Few classic selfish Sexton moments. 4 shots on goal is good, but failed to kick one. 6 score involvements. Went at 28% DE.
Weller 8/10 - Very good in the first half - 17 possessions, finished with 24. Speed often broke open the contest. 5 clearances was 2nd highest. Only 58% DE
Witts 8/10 - Nullified Naitanui influence in the ruck, was better around the ground. 3 clearances. Played 89% TOG.

It probably went a little more unnoticed because of Rowell and Anderson, but I loved that game from Buderick. Shows a lot of confidence to be making some of the plays he was last night. A lot of flair about his game but also did a good job as a stopper
I thought he was clearly our second best rookie.

Rowell is the best #1 I can remember in recent times. What a player

Billy Brownless reckons he will be the captain of our footy club soon
Billy Brownless could name about 6 players at our club. I'd reckon around 80% chance he knows our current captains and about 25% chance he knows who the vice captain is.

Obviously Rowell has on-field traits that demonstrate leadership potential - only the guys at the club know what happens behind closed doors.

Billy Brownless reckons he will be the captain of our footy club soon
Oh gahd im having ptsd! we dont have the best track record of keeping our captains 😳
that being said, I know its early in a very weird season but is it just me or does there seem to be a massive increase in genuine team morale and cohesion? I cant say what it is exactly but there seems to have been a positive shift and I think for those of us who have stuck around through all the mockery and disparagement, thats a really refreshing feeling. Not trying to get ahead of myself, we have a long wat to go, but still gonna enjoy this moment.

Mark Evans said on SEN the other week he had something planned for the fans at last nights game that would be world first but I didn’t see anything at all or was he thinking he was going to get fans in and thought he’d be the first to do so

Mark Evans said on SEN the other week he had something planned for the fans at last nights game that would be world first but I didn’t see anything at all or was he thinking he was going to get fans in and thought he’d be the first to do so
A herculean effort by our kids perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the belated intrusion but congratulations on the fabulous win.

Unless we are playing each other, I'm always barracking hard for you guys.

We need two strong Queensland teams in the AFL and I'm longing for the day when we have a big Lions/Gold Coast Final where the outcome has more meaning than just fleeting parochial bragging rights

And yeah..............dat Rowell guy

Possibly the best #1 selection since ......ummmmmm?

credit - Useless AFL Stats

The Red Bull.
Contested possessions by Matt Rowell in his first two games - 25.
Contested possessions by the last 10 Brownlow medal winners in their first two games.
Chris Judd - 20
Tom Mitchell - 19
Dustin Martin - 16
Matt Priddis - 12
Gary Ablett - 12
Trent Cotchin - 12
Nat Fyfe - 9
Sam Mitchell - 7
Dane Swan - 7
Patrick Dangerfield - 5

In my match preview i said it would be nice to see Anderson try and tag Gaff cos he could keep up.

The Telstra Tracker shows Noah Anderson covered the most distance for the whole game at 13.4km pretty impressive for a 2nd game rookie.

N. Anderson 13.4km
J. Bowes 13.0km
J. Lukosius 12.9km
B. Sheppard 12.7km
A. Gaff 12.5km

To add to that RowellAnderson12 our guys dominated the 'distance covered at high speed'
Ainsworth 3.1km
Anderson 2.5km
Bowes 2.3km
Powell 2.3km
Ah Chee WCE 2.1km

Telstra tracker shows we outworked the Eagles in every capacity
Confirms my liking of Ainsworth's game and a big tick for his current fitness status
Got lost a bit in the Rowell hype but I'm sure the coaches and Ben himself would have been well pleased with his performance

Confirms my liking of Ainsworth's game and a big tick for his current fitness status
Got lost a bit in the Rowell hype but I'm sure the coaches and Ben himself would have been well pleased with his performance
I hadn't really noticed that he was 'out of the game' as mentioned by the commentators in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.
He certainly finished strongly.

One way to keep himself in the game is to keep active when we don't have the ball
7 pressure acts is pretty low, also 0 tackles

For comparison Holman had 16 pressure acts and 3 tackles, Macpherson 17 pressure acts and 2 tackles

Alex Sexton a paltry 1 pressure act - way below anyone else who isn't a key defender.

One thing I was really happy with on Saturday was that both Powell and Ballard looked bigger and stronger and a lot more ready to compete at AFL level. Which is how it should be going into year 3.
Powell especially has plenty more to add but in his first 2 seasons he looked like a 16 year old. Now he looks like a thin winger which is a big step.

One thing I was really happy with on Saturday was that both Powell and Ballard looked bigger and stronger and a lot more ready to compete at AFL level. Which is how it should be going into year 3.
Powell especially has plenty more to add but in his first 2 seasons he looked like a 16 year old. Now he looks like a thin winger which is a big step.
I dont think we missed much with Wil playing over Ellis

With all the talk of the No.1 draft pick dominating, I thought I would look at what we paid for each player in our starting 22 over the weekend and see how much is elite talent, and how much is talent from lower picks we have developed.

FB: Budarick (Pre-Selection) - Collins (Rookie Pre-Selection) - Lukosius (Pick 2)
HB: Hanley (Traded Picks 22 & 30) - Ballard (Pick 42) - Jarrod Harbrow (Uncontracted Signing)
C: Powell (Pick 19) - Greenwood (Traded 2020 3rd and 4th Rd Picks) - Anderson (Pick 2)
HF: MacPherson (Rookie Draft) - Day (Pick 3) - Ainsworth (Pick 4)
FF: Sexton (Pick 88) - King (Pick 6) - Holman (Rookie Draft)

Foll: Witts (Traded Picks 44 and 62) - Weller (Traded Pick 2) - Rowell (Pick 1)

Inter: Bowes (Pick 10) - Fiorini (Pick 20) - Miller (Pick 29) - Lemmens (Pick 27)
While we have a bunch of very early picks in there, we also have been able to develop and trade in some decent talent with lower picks as well. Just an interesting insight into the team.

Last edited:
With all the talk of the No.1 draft pick dominating, I thought I would look at what we paid for each player in our starting 22 over the weekend and see how much is elite talent, and how much is talent from lower picks we have developed.

FB: Budarick (Pre-Selection) - Collins (Rookie Pre-Selection) - Lukosius (Pick 2)
HB: Hanley (Traded Picks 22 & 30) - Ballard (Pick 42) - Jarrod Harbrow (Uncontracted Signing)
C: Powell (Pick 19) - Greenwood (2020 3rd and 4th Rd Picks) - Anderson (Pick 2)
HF: MacPherson (Rookie Draft) - Day (Pick 3) - Ainsworth (Pick 4)
FF: Sexton (Pick 88) - King (Pick 6) - Holman (Rookie Draft)

Foll: Witts (Traded Picks 44 and 62) - Weller (Traded Pick 2) - Rowell (Pick 1)

Inter: Bowes (Pick 10) - Fiorini (Pick 20) - Miller (Pick 29) - Lemmens (Pick 27)
While we have a bunch of very early picks in there, we also have been able to develop and trade in some decent talent with lower picks as well. Just an interesting insight into the team.
Bloody hell Witts was a steal, that isnt spoken about enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back