Review AFL R2 vs West Coast @ Metricon 7:40pm 13 June 2020

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At least one eagles poster saying that not all eagles are willing to leave home/children for 4+ weeks and therefore will not come/play.
Darling and Schofield named.

feel much better about containing the eagles forward line withoutdarlin if that comes to fruition

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’ll cop a loss in this fixture on the condition the team has a fair dinkum crack.
I’m still seething from the insipid Round 1 effort on our home track.

How many games do we need to win in this block? Surely at least one, should we expect 2?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How many games do we need to win in this block? Surely at least one, should we expect 2?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To keep the finals dream alive we’d need to win 2 out of 3.
I think you should always start the season off aiming for finals footy and then when that’s not possible go into a development phase.
WCE are so strong though that I’ll cop this one as a loss if we are proud of the way they have a crack at it.
A win of course will set us alight.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I was expecting the AFL to allow extra interchange players from round 2, but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. I guess it is not going to happen. It would certainly have helped ease back players returning from long-term injuries, since there’s no reserves teams.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
That sounds like a lot of BF points I’m in line to be whacked with.
I almost made that joke but felt it was unprofessional to joke about such things... and this is much much more of a war crimes offence ;)

I was expecting the AFL to allow extra interchange players from round 2, but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. I guess it is not going to happen. It would certainly have helped ease back players returning from long-term injuries, since there’s no reserves teams.
Yeah, It was mentioned during the Bundesliga game I watched this morning that they've added 2 extra interchanges (from 3 to 5 a game) for the rest of the season. Granted they are playing two games a week to catch up so it makes sense for them. But I think it makes sense in this scenario also.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd be hazardous to suggest we should expect 2 wins but certainly ending this little run at home with a record of 2-2 gives us a chance to compete for a finals spot. Now some might say I'm dreaming if I'm thinking about finals and you may be right but the goal is always to play finals and you have to base your season objectives around that. I'd say we should expect at least 1 win over the next three rounds and we should be happy if we manage to secure 2 wins. If we somehow win all 3 games then that's obviously a huge achievement and an indication that we've improved enormously over the last 12 months.

According to Dewy - Miles is in line for selection so do we bring him in to cover the loss of Swallow? Ballard is supposedly in line for selection as well so do we play three talls down back with Collins and Thompson or is that overkill against the Weagles?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We have 4 games in this block with 3 at home. I reckon we're a chance against Freo and Crows but feel WCE maybe too strong, depending on who they bring. There is talk some players may not make the trip. And I think, at this early stage, we may struggle against the Cats in Geelong. But If we can finish this block at 2-3, then I'd be OK with that.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Big question will be for that 3rd tall defender spot, do we go with experience in Hombsch or do we go with the youth of Ballard?

If we can organise a scratch match of sorts for those who don't make the 22, then I'd have Hombsch over Charlie for WC and give Ballard a run in the scratchie and if he pulls up OK, look at bringing him in for the Crows and Freo

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At least one eagles poster saying that not all eagles are willing to leave home/children for 4+ weeks and therefore will not come/play.
Darling and Schofield named.

feel much better about containing the eagles forward line withoutdarlin if that comes to fruition
That would be hugely beneficial for us if it's true. Kennedy is obviously their most dangerous target up forward but without Darling it'll be much easier for our taller defenders to zone and potentially double team Kennedy when needed. They'll likely bring in Oscar Allen who is still finding his feet at the AFL level so you would expect Thompson or Hombsch to keep him pretty quiet. Liam Ryan is probably the other target we should really concentrate on but I'm fairly confident Harbs will do a good job on him. If our backline is performing the way it should and Darling does miss then I think we have a fantastic opportunity to limit their scoring.

As is the case in most games, this one will be won and lost in the midfield. We need to ensure Tim Kelly doesn't run rampant all over the Metricon turf.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
That would be hugely beneficial for us if it's true. Kennedy is obviously their most dangerous target up forward but without Darling it'll be much easier for our taller defenders to zone and potentially double team Kennedy when needed. They'll likely bring in Oscar Allen who is still finding his feet at the AFL level so you would expect Thompson or Hombsch to keep him pretty quiet. Liam Ryan is probably the other target we should really concentrate on but I'm fairly confident Harbs will do a good job on him. If our backline is performing the way it should and Darling does miss then I think we have a fantastic opportunity to limit their scoring.

As is the case in most games, this one will be won and lost in the midfield. We need to ensure Tim Kelly doesn't run rampant all over the Metricon turf.
Our midfield bats deep for sure. But the question is the quality, especially with Swallow missing.

-Greenwood
-Miles
-Miller
-Weller
-Rowell
-Ainsworth
-Macpherson
-Brodie
-Bowes
-Fiorini

It bats pretty deep and some of those blokes are tough, but I think at the moment lack in the quality that Shuey and Kelly possess.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Our midfield bats deep for sure. But the question is the quality, especially with Swallow missing.

-Greenwood
-Miles
-Miller
-Weller
-Rowell
-Ainsworth
-Macpherson
-Brodie
-Bowes
-Fiorini

It bats pretty deep and some of those blokes are tough, but I think at the moment lack in the quality that Shuey and Kelly possess.
Although if one of these boys steps up we might see a coming of age with Swallow out.

Brodie set to finally shut up the haters for good with a 30 possie game.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Although if one of these boys steps up we might see a coming of age with Swallow out.

Brodie set to finally shut up the haters for good with a 30 possie game.

I don’t think there are any haters at all BRM. We all were very wary of him as it appeared he may have done the lowest act of all and been a bedwetting Scrimsook but then he displayed he’s a young man of character by signing on to stay and also buying a home here.
I do believe he’s now a much loved figure.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I would say Darling is far better than JJK presently.
Agree re: midfield. They have one of the best in the league, we have one of the worst. Got to hang tight.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would say Darling is far better than JJK presently.
Agree re: midfield. They have one of the best in the league, we have one of the worst. Got to hang tight.
That's even better. If their best key forward isn't playing in this game then that's a massive win for us.

I just hope Wittsy, Greenwood, Ellis and a few others step up in the midfield. I'd love to see Rowell have a big game as well but you can't expect too much from a player in their second ever AFL game, even if he possesses talent like Rowell.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Sorry for the intrusion, but I was wondering how Anthony Miles is going? I remember Dom Sheed did the same injury in a preseason game and literally came back the week after the bye.
Is he back training? Or close to?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sorry for the intrusion, but I was wondering how Anthony Miles is going? I remember Dom Sheed did the same injury in a preseason game and literally came back the week after the bye.
Is he back training? Or close to?

No need to be sorry. Flanders Collins Ballard and Miles are mentioned in this interview from about the 1.00min mark (Miles at about 2.20min)

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Awesome thanks guys, appreciate it.

I follow the draft pretty closely, and have loved your drafting over the past 2 years... 8 very highly talented youngsters who will set the club up for success in 5 years time, I also think Rosas if he can put on some size will become one of he best small forwards in the game, he's got all the tricks and speed. Loved Budarick too.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Suns football manager Jon Haines said Fiorini would remain in the middle after welcoming back the likes of injured defenders Jarrod Harbrow, Pearce Hanley, Rory Thompson, Charlie Ballard and Jack Hombsch.

“Brayden is a really important player for us and has good flexibility so he has moved back into the midfield group since we returned,” Haines said.

“He played back in Round 1 given Pearce, Harbs, Rory and Ballard were all missing. All of those guys should be available now so we know Brayden can play halfback and midfield so that gives him flexibility but at the moment he has gone back into the midfield group and that is where we expect to see him playing his footy.”

Quotes from John Haines regarding position availability leading into round 2. Sounds like our backline is going to be really strong!

Back