Review AFL R2 vs West Coast @ Metricon 7:40pm 13 June 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

When did we last win a competition game?
Don't worry. We'll sort that out over the next three games. Very confident of at least one victory at home in the next three rounds.

Who knows. We might upset the Weagles and send shockwaves through the competition in 8 days from now!

Wish I had your confidence. Just watched highlights vs Port. It was like adults vs kids.
Probably because a significant portion of the side we rolled out that day were kids?

Back line
Connor Budarick (18), Caleb Graham (19), Jack Lukosius (19)

Midfield
Matt Rowell (18), Noah Anderson (19)

Forward line
Ben King (19)

More than a quarter of the 22 guys we played in round 1 were teenagers. Quite a few were in the 20-22 range as well: Bowes (22), Fiorini (22), MacPherson (22), Ainsworth (22), Joyce (22) and Brodie (21). That means more than half the team we rolled out in round 1 were 22 years of age or younger. Therefore, it's not surprising that it felt like adults vs kids when we played Port.

Injecting much needed experience through players like Harbrow, Hanley, Hombsch, Thompson and Sexton is going to make a huge difference. Particularly for our back line which was by far the youngest and most inexperienced area for us in round 1. We literally named three teenagers and only one player over the age of 22 in our back line that day, who was Sam Collins and he isn't exactly much older himself at 25...

It's the old question of - how young is too young? I think we got our answer in round 1. We went in too young and played accordingly.

Don't worry. We'll sort that out over the next three games. Very confident of at least one victory at home in the next three rounds.

Who knows. We might upset the Weagles and send shockwaves through the competition in 8 days from now!
I don't expect a win against eagles, but could definitely win the freo/crows games. If the suns get to 2-2, that's a pretty good result.

Probably because a significant portion of the side we rolled out that day were kids?

Back line

Midfield

Forward line
Ben King (19)

More than a quarter of the 22 guys we played in round 1 were teenagers. Quite a few were in the 20-22 range as well: Bowes (22), Fiorini (22), MacPherson (22), Ainsworth (22), Joyce (22) and Brodie (21). That means more than half the team we rolled out in round 1 were 22 years of age or younger. Therefore, it's not surprising that it felt like adults vs kids when we played Port.

Injecting much needed experience through players like Harbrow, Hanley, Hombsch, Thompson and Sexton is going to make a huge difference. Particularly for our back line which was by far the youngest and most inexperienced area for us in round 1. We literally named three teenagers and only one player over the age of 22 in our back line that day, who was Sam Collins and he isn't exactly much older himself at 25...

It's the old question of - how young is too young? I think we got our answer in round 1. We went in too young and played accordingly.

Port also had a fair few <23

Back Line
Ryan Burton 23

Midfield
Duursma 19, SPP 22, Houston 23

Forward line
Georgiades 18, Rozee 20, Butters, 19, Marshall 21

Although have quite a few 28+ as well - Gray, Boak, Jonas, Westhoff, Lycett, Hartlett, Ebert, Motlop

Back line

Midfield

Forward line
Ben King (19)

Yep, I am well aware that we were much younger than Port - by 2 years and 8 months. I actually did not mind that. I was happy to see our future stars but the problem was that the effort was not there except Collins, Ainsworth. Budarick and Rowell were also good, Anderson one quarter.

Mature players were disappointing. It started with Witts/Day in the ruck. We did not lost because of our defense but because our midfield got totally dominated similar to a lot of games last year. The intensity and pressure was not there. Just one game, crazy circumstances but can our midfield improve, click? Let's see after 4-5 games.

We will still be young - hopefully not as young but then some young players will have to sit. I expect all Lukosius, King, Anderson, Rowell, Powell, Ballard play and possibly one more from Rankine/Budarick/Flanders.

Hmm after match sim report I can see the side aome make up of below

definites
King sexton ainsworth macpherson witts Weller greenwood rowell Miller Ellis lukosius collins harbrow Bowes

probable
Hanley Ballard Powell Anderson Brodie buderick fiorini

possible
Flanders lemmens rankine Thompson Joyce hombsch day wright miles

unlikely
Sharp

Hmm after match sim report I can see the side aome make up of below

definites
King sexton ainsworth macpherson witts Weller greenwood rowell Miller Ellis lukosius collins harbrow Bowes

probable
Hanley Ballard Powell Anderson Brodie buderick fiorini

possible
Flanders lemmens rankine Thompson Joyce hombsch day wright miles

unlikely
Sharp
Wright from possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callum Twomey's best 22. As much as I like Cal, I don't think he is up to date as Whiting was.
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Rory Thompson, Jack Lukosius
HB: Jack Bowes, Sam Collins, Brayden Fiorini
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Noah Anderson
HF: Darcy MacPherson, Sam Day, Ben Ainsworth
F: David Swallow, Ben King, Alex Sexton
FOLL: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Lachie Weller
I/C: Will Brodie, Pearce Hanley, Izak Rankine, Matt Rowell
Emerg: Connor Budarick, Sam Flanders, Nick Holman, Sean Lemmens
Unavailable: Charlie Ballard (shoulder)

Expect a handful of important additions to the Suns' line-up from its round one performance, which saw them put in a disappointing loss to Port Adelaide. Harbrow, Thompson and Hanley should come in to settle down an inexperienced back half, while leading goalkicker Sexton will also be back. It could be a call between potential debutants Rankine and Sam Flanders for that final spot. – Callum Twomey

Okay so this is the team I think Dewy will choose based on the match simulation report from last night.

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Jack Lukosius
HB: Jack Bowes, Sam Collins, Pearce Hanley
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Lachie Weller
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, Darcy MacPherson
F: Sam Flanders, Ben King, Alex Sexton
Fol: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Will Brodie
Int: Brayden Fiorini, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Connor Budarick

OUT: David Swallow (suspension), Caleb Graham, Jesse Joyce, Nick Holman, Sean Lemmens
IN: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Pearce Hanley, Sam Flanders, Alex Sexton

From recent reports, I feel Thompson and Rankine aren't going to play and that's why I've left them out of my 22 but I'd like to be wrong about that. I think Ballard is going to get the nod ahead of Rory and Flanders will essentially play where Rankine would if he were 100% healthy. I've really only included Budarick because the report suggested he was likely to keep his spot. Otherwise I would have thrown Rankine on the bench. Powell and Sharp are unlucky to miss out but we have too much healthy depth on the wings now IMO. I think Hombsch misses out and Wright won't get the nod ahead of Day with the shorter quarters that will be played this season. We have less reason to give Wittsy a rest throughout the match and I think that hurts 2MP's chances of selection ahead of Day.

I've thrown Brodie in the middle because I think we need a bigger body to cover the loss of Swallow and I suspect Greenwood will swing forward for short stints throughout the game so that's when Brodie will really be needed. Fiorini and Anderson will rotate on the wing positions and Noah may spend some time in the forward line if we push MacPherson or Ainsworth into the middle for a few minutes. Budarick obviously rotates with the ageing Harbs and Hanley.

What do you guys think?

Looking at the reports from the club and in the media, I reckon there will be some interesting selections come round 2.

J.Harbrow - R.Thompson - C.Ballard
P.Hanley - S.Collins - J.Lukosius
B.Ellis - H.Greenwood - W.Powell
A.Sexton - S.Day - B.Ainsworth
S.Flanders - B.King - D.Macpherson

J.Witts - T.Miller - M.Rowell

Inter: W.Brodie - J.Bowes - B.Fiorini - L.Weller

Emer: P.Wright - I.Rankine - N.Anderson - C.Budarick
It is tough, so many healthy players and some have to miss out.

I think Rory plays, otherwise I reckon you will see Hombsch drop into his spot and Ballard as the 3rd tall interceptor.

Powell and Flanders the bolters for me. Rankine and Flanders fighting for that one forward pocket position with Anderson and Powell fighting for that other wing spot. I think you will see those 2 pairs chop and change this year if there are no injuries.

BTW, this is not who I would pick, I can definitely see the need for Hanley but I would drop him out. Budarick may be a consideration as a small defender over Hanley perhaps.

Would also be interesting to see who would drop for Swallow next week.

Last edited:
Okay so this is the team I think Dewy will choose based on the match simulation report from last night.

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Jack Lukosius
HB: Jack Bowes, Sam Collins, Pearce Hanley
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Lachie Weller
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, Darcy MacPherson
F: Sam Flanders, Ben King, Alex Sexton
Fol: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Will Brodie
Int: Brayden Fiorini, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Connor Budarick

OUT: David Swallow (suspension), Caleb Graham, Jesse Joyce, Nick Holman, Sean Lemmens
IN: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Pearce Hanley, Sam Flanders, Alex Sexton

From recent reports, I feel Thompson and Rankine aren't going to play and that's why I've left them out of my 22 but I'd like to be wrong about that. I think Ballard is going to get the nod ahead of Rory and Flanders will essentially play where Rankine would if he were 100% healthy. I've really only included Budarick because the report suggested he was likely to keep his spot. Otherwise I would have thrown Rankine on the bench. Powell and Sharp are unlucky to miss out but we have too much healthy depth on the wings now IMO. I think Hombsch misses out and Wright won't get the nod ahead of Day with the shorter quarters that will be played this season. We have less reason to give Wittsy a rest throughout the match and I think that hurts 2MP's chances of selection ahead of Day.

I've thrown Brodie in the middle because I think we need a bigger body to cover the loss of Swallow and I suspect Greenwood will swing forward for short stints throughout the game so that's when Brodie will really be needed. Fiorini and Anderson will rotate on the wing positions and Noah may spend some time in the forward line if we push MacPherson or Ainsworth into the middle for a few minutes. Budarick obviously rotates with the ageing Harbs and Hanley.

What do you guys think?
I wouldn't mind that.
West Coast Forward line is quite fast, Harbrow, Buderick, Hanley plus Bowes should be a decent bet to match them.
Don't know about Flanders - seems like he was coming from a fair way back. Think Powell / Lemmens in ahead of him just for now.

Looking at the reports from the club and in the media, I reckon there will be some interesting selections come round 2.

J.Harbrow - R.Thompson - C.Ballard
P.Hanley - S.Collins - J.Lukosius
B.Ellis - H.Greenwood - W.Powell
A.Sexton - S.Day - B.Ainsworth
S.Flanders - B.King - D.Macpherson

J.Witts - T.Miller - M.Rowell

Inter: M.Rowell - J.Bowes - B.Fiorini - L.Weller

Emer: P.Wright - I.Rankine - N.Anderson - W.Brodie
It is tough, so many healthy players and some have to miss out.

I think Rory plays, otherwise I reckon you will see Hombsch drop into his spot and Ballard as the 3rd tall interceptor.

Powell and Flanders the bolters for me. Rankine and Flanders fighting for that one forward pocket position with Anderson and Powell fighting for that other wing spot. I think you will see those 2 pairs chop and change this year if there are no injuries.

BTW, this is not who I would pick, I can definitely see the need for Hanley but I would drop him out. Budarick may be a consideration as a small defender over Hanley perhaps.

Would also be interesting to see who would drop for Swallow next week.

I reckon one of the 2 Rowells you selected for Swallow....;);)

Think Rankine and Thompson will wait until R3 - no point risking them in a game that’s going to be difficult to win

Hopefully, some crowd will be allowed at Metricon too!

Brisbane hopeful of having some spectators at Round 2 clash against Fremantle

The Lions have been in talks with Gabba authorities about a COVID-safe plan that would allow a small amount of fans into the ground.
They could potentially be housed in corporate boxes and open areas around the ground in accordance with strict social distancing requirements.
Brisbane CEO Greg Swann said the club expects to know if spectators can get through the gates by the middle of the week.
“We’ve spoken to the Gabba and they’ve come up with a plan to get some people into the stadium,’’ Swann said.
“We are certainly hoping it can happen for the Freo game. It would be good if it can happen.”

Player watch for me this season is Jack Lukosius
In raw output terms the Rankine Lukosius selections are still very much jury out IMO
If Rankine isn't a longterm injury magnet and plays consistent football he is a freak and will kill opposition backs, fry their livers and swill with chianti
I'm just not sure what Jack's role will be
Most likely rebounding halfback /quarteback using footskills, decision making and ball handling prowess I guess

Think Rankine and Thompson will wait until R3 - no point risking them in a game that’s going to be difficult to win

If they’re ready to go, they’re ready to go. It would also be good to give them a game to get the feel of it again before more winnable games come along. You can’t expect them to bang on immediately

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back