Review AFL R3 vs Adelaide @Metricon 1:05pm Sunday 21st June

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know how many times over the years where I’ve seen a sports team or a sportsperson have a “breakout” win and then in their next match be thoroughly disappointing and get rolled.

This is a massive week/test for Coach Dew and the Captains for succeeding in setting motivation and maturity in our young men.

Finally, if we are to avoid the shame and embarrassment of another wooden spoon then this is a “must win”.

Time to grow up or in a weeks time our blokes are back to being a bunch of weak petals again.

End of story.

I don’t know how many times over the years where I’ve seen a sports team or a sportsperson have a “breakout” win and then in their next match be thoroughly disappointing and get rolled.

This is a massive week/test for Coach Dew and the Captains for succeeding in setting motivation and maturity in our young men.

Finally, if we are to avoid the shame and embarrassment of another wooden spoon then this is a “must win”.

Time to grow up or in a weeks time our blokes are back to being a bunch of weak petals again.

End of story.
Last year we were in a similar situation after the win from Carlton all the hype then a disappointing loss to Adelaide.

Unless some injuries or a suspension surfaces during the week, are Holman & Macpherson the 2 under the pump for Swallow (and maybe Ellis if ready) to come in?

Whoever goes out though is bloody unlucky. Everyone contributed to varying degrees.

Surely GC get their first win over the crows this week.
I would have us at $1.70 favourites.

Didn't see any of the showdown but reading a bit of commentary around it Adelaides midfield got smashed.
Our mids took a step up after an insipid first round.
As always game will be won and lost in the middle.

Port outworked us just as bad as your game last night so both teams will have to turn up ready to play.

Last edited:
We always struggle against the Crows, taking nothing for granted after just 1 win. However, the opportunity is there to go out win again and keep the momentum going.

As far as ins and outs:

Out: Holman
In: Swallow

Holman unlucky but someone needs to come out. It is a great problem to have and Swallow provides some extra midfield quality as well as being able to go forward and bob up for a goal.

Darcy was quiet as well but back him in.

If Sexton does get suspended, someone like Flanders could come in for his first game.

Maybe give Ellis one more week to make sure his calf is 100%.

Darcy's numbers are going to be paltry compared to what they were last year with Dew confirming that he'll play mostly forward this season (injuries aside), though he did confirm that if needed he will inject Darce into the midfield because he offers super high energy as the situation requires. I'd be surprised if he was not in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever misses will be unlucky but this is the first time in a long time we have had this problem!!!

Great problem for us to have!!!

End of story.
One might say......
A mini GF?;)

Should be very interesting to see how the boys play given we'll go in as a favourites to win this one.

This is it for us. This is our opportunity to show we can consistently play football at a high level and win against the teams we're expected to beat. From there we build momentum and that can take you a long way.

Swallow to come in and possibly Ellis as well. I think Thompson will still be managed in the reserves and probably won't be available but I'd like to be wrong. Rankine and Flanders may also put their hands up for selection.

Who comes out for Swallow? I'm probably leaning towards Lemmens. If Ellis is available, I can't see Powell or Anderson going out for him. Perhaps Holman goes out for Ellis? I don't want to do it because I thought Holman was good last night but I'm having a really hard time finding space for all our players!

Further headaches come if Thompson, Rankine and/or Flanders also put their hands up.

Depth is a good problem to have but I'm going to feel really bad for whoever gets dropped this week!

I think Swallow in for either Holman or Anderson.
If Sexton suspended then probably just straight swap without other changes.

Seems unlikely Ellis, Thompson or Rankine will be ready from what I've heard the coaches say.
Bit hard to speculate on Flanders or others when we don't know how the practice match against the Eagles went.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back