Review AFL R4 v Fremantle @Metricon 7:40pm Saturday 28 June

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit to not know a great deal of in depth info when it comes to other teams, How accurate is this take?
Fyfe is fyfe
Walters is his side kick but besides that Mundy, Conca, Coyler, Brayshaw, Tucker are absolutely no where near any of our mids.

They have used Fyfe deep forward too because they dont have any marking targets besides Tabenrer. We should be too clean for them and Crouch x2 Sloane are alot better than freo they just don't have any confidence atm

Fremantle haven’t won a game this year but haven’t disgraced themselves at all.
I’m thinking they will be incredibly fired up and treating this as a “must win”.
Our blokes would want to be getting their heads ready for a torrid game this week.
Wear your mouth guards and get your heads out of the clouds and don’t go reading our positive press.
This is going to be a hard arse battle this game.

The 6000 of us that go too would want to be ready to play our part too in getting some decisions our way and getting in Freo’s heads.

MASSIVE danger game for us. Off the pressure and workload of our last two weeks, we should win easy. Fremantle will crack. But as Mr Bods said, young team with not much media attention since 2014 (so effectlively everyone on our list). Don't get caught in the hype. We need to treat every game like a must win

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

We're going into this one as the favourites again. We dealt with favouritism well on Sunday but I believe Fremantle present a more difficult task than the Crows did. Nevertheless, super excited to watch this one and really happy to see 6500 people will be allowed to attend it which will mostly be Suns fans. We may even get national coverage again if the Essendon-Carlton clash is delayed.

Sunny days ahead!

assuming that Collins gets the job on Hogan, Can Ballard keep Taberner quiet? He's been on it recently
I back our defensive 6 against the majority of the league.

They've kept the likes of JK, Darling and Tex whisper quiet in the last two weeks.

I'd be more worried if Pav was still kicking about but I haven't seen anything that suggests we should be worried.

Freo are our biggest challenge since Port in round 1. Agree with Bods in that they haven't disgraced themselves at all. Good showings against two top 4 sides in Brisbane and Port. We are much more at their level.

Match-ups for the same game last year was Collins on Taberner. I'd probably keep that match-up really.

Hogan doesn't play the sort of gorilla full forward role that he used to at Melbourne. For that reason I'd have Ballard on him.

They do play with a lot of talls, and it's going to be slippery again on Saturday night. Hopefully helps us out.

If the midfield can stay on and focussed then it should help, but sometimes there is no stopping Fyfe. Greenwood goes to him? Could be messy. I would put Touk to shut down Walters too.

Freo are our biggest challenge since Port in round 1. Agree with Bods in that they haven't disgraced themselves at all. Good showings against two top 4 sides in Brisbane and Port. We are much more at their level.

Match-ups for the same game last year was Collins on Taberner. I'd probably keep that match-up really.

Hogan doesn't play the sort of gorilla full forward role that he used to at Melbourne. For that reason I'd have Ballard on him.

They do play with a lot of talls, and it's going to be slippery again on Saturday night. Hopefully helps us out.

If the midfield can stay on and focussed then it should help, but sometimes there is no stopping Fyfe. Greenwood goes to him? Could be messy. I would put Touk to shut down Walters too.
I think you just accept Fyfe is going to get his 25 and kick a goal. It is a lot easier to shut down Walters and run with him.

This weekend will be tougher than the past 2 IMO. But if we win this and hit 3-1, in a short season, we can start thinking about pushing our way out of the bottom 4.

Freo as a whole seem to have pretty slow leg speed which could be a good matchup for our high pressure footy

Freo as a whole seem to have pretty slow leg speed which could be a good matchup for our high pressure footy
All my Melbourne people who at last got a chance to see the Suns on FTA were blown away by our speed
It's the first thing they comment on
I think Adelaide and West Coast were a bit shell shocked by having nowhere to kick and no-one free to lay off to because of our guys closing speed
It's been a revelation for me for sure after 10 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporting Rowell will be huge this week. Crows sent Keays to tag Rowell in the last quarter on the weekend and kept him to 2 touches. Fremantle will definitely notice that in their opposition analysis, so I would expect he may get a tag this week. I know no-one really tags anymore (well, except GWS), but I think that after being BOG in the last two games, opposition coaches will probably want to shut him down. I have no doubt that in the future that he will be able to handle tags no problem, but I feel that this early in his career he may struggle, so it's extremely important that all the other midfielders support him and lift this week if you wanna get the win. I reckon by half time and he isn't handling it well and the game is still winnable, it may be worth throwing him around and see how the other mids go when he's not in there.

Fyfe on the other hand, is just too big and strong to tag. I know Greenwood is similar size, but Fyfe seems pretty strong even for his size, and has the ability to shurg off and burst through pretty much anyone, including (key-position) players bigger than him. I don't think there's really any stopping him, and all you can really do is pressure him as much as possible. However in saying that, Greenwood is still clearly the best match-up for him, as he is the most similar in size to him and had an absolutely ridiculous 27 pressure acts against Adelaide on the weekend.

So I think the key is to support Rowell, and if you lose midfield battle, then just use legspeed to try and score off rebound.

Last edited:
Supporting Rowell will be huge this week. Crows sent Keays to tag Rowell in the last quarter on the weekend and kept him to 2 touches. Fremantle will definitely notice that in their opposition analysis, so I would expect he may get a tag this week. I know no-one really tags anymore (well, except GWS), but I think that after being BOG in the last two games, opposition coaches will probably want to shut him down. I have no doubt that in the future that he will be able to handle tags no problem, but I feel that this early in his career he may struggle, so it's extremely important that all the other midfielders support him and lift this week if you wanna get the win. I reckon by half time and he isn't handling it well and the game is still winnable, it may be worth throwing him around and see how the other mids go when he's not in there.

Fyfe on the other hand, is just too big and strong to tag. I know Greenwood is similar size, but Fyfe seems pretty strong even for his size, and has the ability to shurg off and burst through pretty much anyone, including (key-position) players bigger than him. I don't think there's really any stopping him, and all you can really do is pressure him as much as possible.

So I think the key it to support Rowell, and if you lose midfield battle, then just use legspeed to try and score off rebound.
Do we know if players tagged Rowell in the Nab League?

In regards to Fyfe- he is just a monster. He is that strong it isn't funny. Probably the strongest player in the comp.

Do we know if players tagged Rowell in the Nab League?

In regards to Fyfe- he is just a monster. He is that strong it isn't funny. Probably the strongest player in the comp.

I dunno, but I assume given he was so much better then everyone else, he must've copped a fair few. But then again, even if he did, most U18 players don't really have a defensive side to their game, so the tag probably would've been ineffective. But it may be a different story against a disciplined AFL player who has the defensive mindset, the stronger body and endurance to keep up with him.

And yeah, Fyfe could legitimately play as a key forward if he wants to (even in today's game where most of them are around the 200cm mark). It's funny, cause when he first entered the comp he was pretty skinny for his size, but man after he bulked up there was no stopping him. He's probably not the strongest, but probably one of the strongest for his size (which is saying a lot, given how big he already is).

Fyfe on the other hand, is just too big and strong to tag. I know Greenwood is similar size, but Fyfe seems pretty strong even for his size, and has the ability to shurg off and burst through pretty much anyone, including (key-position) players bigger than him. I don't think there's really any stopping him, and all you can really do is pressure him as much as possible. However in saying that, Greenwood is still clearly the best match-up for him, as he is the most similar in size to him and had an absolutely ridiculous 27 pressure acts against Adelaide on the weekend.

So I think the key it to support Rowell, and if you lose midfield battle, then just use legspeed to try and score off rebound.

Maybe send Touk to Fyfe.. Kane Cornes showed on footy classified last night port exposing his defensive weakness

Maybe send Touk to Fyfe.. Kane Cornes showed on footy classified last night port exposing his defensive weakness
Perhaps rotate several players onto him, but I reckon Greenwood is still the best option. Not only is he the only mid close to size, but his 27 pressure acts last match was insane. I remember in the 2013 grand final Fyfe dominated the midfield 18 contested posessions and 5 clearances, but due to the hawk's pressure almost all his clearances were shallow and ineffective and had only 61% disposal efficiency for the match overall. You can't stop him getting the ball, but lots of pressure can really limit his efficiency. I remember early in his career people used to call Fyfe the clanger king. I didn't watch footy classified last night, so perhaps you're right that Touk is the best option, so I might take a look at that later.

Last edited:
The only thing I worry about with Touk on Fyfe is in the air Fyfe will have him cooked.

If I was Fyfe and Touk came to me, I would be running straight for the goal square and telling everyone within 30m to clear out.

I would run with a team defense, make sure whenever Fyfe has the pill in play someone is there to pressure him, he will eventually begin to cough it up and you rebound on them. Especially if you can go through Fyfe's man at the time, he isn't the biggest defensive workhorse ever.

So I think the key is to support Rowell, and if you lose midfield battle, then just use legspeed to try and score off rebound.
Rowell spent a fair chunk of the last quarter off the ground i reckon. Didn't see him on the ground for a large stretch.

The only thing I worry about with Touk on Fyfe is in the air Fyfe will have him cooked.

If I was Fyfe and Touk came to me, I would be running straight for the goal square and telling everyone within 30m to clear out.

I would run with a team defense, make sure whenever Fyfe has the pill in play someone is there to pressure him, he will eventually begin to cough it up and you rebound on them. Especially if you can go through Fyfe's man at the time, he isn't the biggest defensive workhorse ever.

While I do think exposing him defensively can be a good thing, you also need to limit his offensively capabilities as well. So I would try and have it so that Hugh plays on him for the majority of the game (mostly for defensive and nuetral situations), and as soon the team wins possession of the ball or gets the ball inside 50, if possible, try and switch Touk onto him to expose him. That may be the best way to go about it.

Last edited:
Rowell spent a fair chunk of the last quarter off the ground i reckon. Didn't see him on the ground for a large stretch.
Didn't really notice that, but I suppose you're probably right. I would still be worried if he gets a tag though, given it will be only his 4th game. Although he did still get tagged (as their coach mentioned they did in the presser), so I think the coaches would've talked to him about it and are preparing for that possiblity. So hopefully that quarter he did get tagged helps him this week if he cops one. I would imagine Dew would be telling the players to be prepared for a Rowell tag and to support him if that happens.

Didn't really notice that, but I suppose you're probably right. I would still be worried if he gets a tag though, given it will be only his 4th game. Although he did still get tagged (as their coach mentioned they did in the presser), so I think the coaches would've talked to him about it and are preparing for that possiblity. So hopefully that quarter he did get tagged helps him this week if he cops one. I would imagine Dew would be telling the players to be prepared for a Rowell tag and to support him if that happens.
Teams need to be careful with tagging. You can tag a player but be prepared to risk letting other players get a free run at it!

I wouldn't drop anyone. We just smashed Adelaide out the park, no need to make any changes. Especially freo who have a worse midfield than Adelaide.
Yeah I don't see anyone getting dropped.

I mean, if you look a the players in question, it looks pretty unlikely:
- Day was quiet but is too important to the structure.
- Holman played pretty well with 12 pressure acts and 100% disposal efficiency.
- Powell also had 12 pressure acts and was involved in a number of scoring chains.
- Anderson didn't play that great, but I don't see him getting dropped (especially after just one bad game).
- Harbrow didn't play that great either, but his experience in defence is too important in such a young team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back