Review AFL R4 v Fremantle @Metricon 7:40pm Saturday 28 June

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be optimistically just hoping for nett more goals, which is surely the only reason you'd drop Day
You can make cases for and against Sam but can you be a KPF and kick 13 goals in your last 13 games- all of them consecutive btw since Rnd 15 last year?
A goal a game -23 goals a year for a KPF ruckman is "probably" just ok if you're doing other stuff
Sam averages 0.7 goals a game over his career
I tried to think of a player from another Club who is similar.
It's actually hard.
Maybe Carlton's McGovern(1.4 goals a game career), maybe Justin Westhoff(1.1 goals avg)
There's no doubt in my mind Sam is underperforming but we have to remember he's been playing for the easybeat team of the decade-not easy being a forward
Just as a side stat 2MP averages 1.3 goals per game career average and can do everything Sam does

It sounds like 2MP's performances do not warrant selection.

2MP has kicked 24 goals from last 22 games

Nothing shits me more than the when the opposition was streaming out of defence and 2MP would be putting in a piss poor half hearted trailing chase (next worse was his 1 handed marking attempts).

Wright does not provide the pressure at ground level that Day can. He is an absolute zero in that regard, Day is at least half decent for a tall forward.
Wright is probably a better target up forward, seems to draw free kicks a bit more. Day is yet to take a contested mark this year which isn't great.
They also said that last practice match Peter 'played at AFL level' so think he has been doing decently well. You would want him dominating the rookie defenders though honestly. Especially when our midfield is smashing it.

I wouldn't mind just bringing Corbett in to partner Day.

As highlighted on the telecast, King is the target probably too often. Against better teams I think that will hurt us more than it has so far.

There were also quite a few cases when Ellis or Bowes were on the defensive wing and had to kick long up the wing to Sexton or Ainsworth or other small and it was easily marked or defended by bigger Fremantle defenders. This was far more evident at the ground than on the telecast.

Interestingly, Day only played 68% TOG, and King 87%. So presumably, almost 50% of the match we had only one tall forward on the ground.
Having Corbett as that outlet would be quite useful.

Day has had 2 poor games in a row, but part of his role as key fwd, second ruck is to bring the ball to ground so our crumbers can do their thing or at least not be out marked, even when the third man comes up. Corbett might take more marks inside 50, but he will get out marked more than Day.

Then when it comes to the second ruck, look at how Adelaide faired with Tex and Fogarty in rd 1. We often expose other team's second ruck, it's a hard one cause Day has been so bad the past 2 weeks, but he was the great against west coast, and really good last year, so I'd like to see him keep his spot

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This second Ruck position is really an underrated position of need for us.. Sam Day does a good job but just is really underwhelming as a fwd.. Wright is just piss weak.. Corbett deserves a chance as a full fwd.. he could set the world on fire.. he is 24, has had about 12 months in the system and has shown a lot of potential but he can't help us in the Ruck..
Got me thinking we need to trade someone in.. but the answer is staring us in the face.. it's Ben King but he just needs to put on 6-8kgs..
I think Day is going to have to do this season..
On thing that would solve it is Rory.. he rucked a bit a few years back and did a great job.. Ballard and Luko can play tall down back when he has to Ruck, but it's a big ask for Thompson with his injury history..

2MP is a really, really good second ruck. His acceleration and top speed flaws vanish when he's playing in that position. That said, I'd be keen to see how he goes when we were playing as well as we did over the past two games. I'd also like to see him leading much further up the ground.

Seems a moot point, I don't see them dropping Day. Realistically he's been kicking goals for the first time in a long while. Granted only the one last night, but he got his hands to a few. Compared to years gone by where he'd go 6-8 games without any scoreboard impact.

Would we consider bringing in Corbett to play with King and Day though?
Hard to find a spot for Rankine and Corbett.

Holman is so underrated by some on here.
but I can understand why most of great stuff he dose you can’t see if you are watching on tv you have to be at the game live to truly appreciate him

It is genuinely very hard to analyse footy from TV angles.

Cussed out Clarry Oliver all of last year for failing to run two ways; as it turns out even Ed Langdon "doesn't run two ways" in our system. Flaw is in the system and coaching not the players. Probably owe Clarry an apology as he continues to rack up clearances and contested possesions like its nothing.

Last edited:
It is genuinely very hard to analyse footy from TV angles.
I was actually wondering this watching the replay today
Have they changed the wide angle this year because at times I had trouble matching up the vision with what I saw at the game
For instance the coverage completely missed Hogan slinging Ballard to the ground before he marked in the 3rd quarter with the ball 50m away
I'm not sure how that's in the rules of the game
It looked non-Kosher live but maybe on replay it would have looked different

Have they changed the wide angle this year because at times I had trouble matching up the vision with what I saw at the game
For instance the coverage completely missed Hogan slinging Ballard to the ground before he marked in the 3rd quarter with the ball 50m away

You are spot on - I'm pretty sure that from rd 2 they have changed the camera angles to really focus in on the play (and as a result get less of the actual play outside of the direct vicinity of the ball) and get as little shots of the empty seats as possible due to it taking TV viewers out of the game experience (same as adding the fake crowd noise).

Was listening to Sen breakfast a few weeks ago and they had Lewis Martin on channel 7 head of football and he said they are shooting the game from higher up so they are shooting down more so you don’t see as many empty seat in the background and they are also shooting a lot tighter more close up so people watching on tv at home are missing even for than normal

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back