Review AFL R5 v Geelong @GMHBA Stadium 4:35pm Saturday 4 July

Remove this Banner Ad

They aren't in Melbourne and they are flying to Sydney tonight out of Avalon.
Which is why we would have gone down today and probably had zero contact with any Victorians other than the opposition
This may be a plan blessed by that Cat Lady that seems to make up the Covid rules for Queensand to enable a reduced isolation or exemption when we come home

I stopped reading after you said Rowell couldn't handle a tag based on 10min. Give your hot take an uppercut.
Another poster asked me to answer those questions even though I didn't really want to after a disappointing loss. You don't have to agree with me but I tried to answer the question honestly instead of just giving a nothing answer by stating we didn't see enough. I pointed out that he didn't get a proper go at it today but that I thought he wasn't using it as effectively as he had been in recent games during the few times he touched the ball today. From memory, there were several instances where he was struggling to break tackles and dispose of the ball which had been a real strength of his over the last three weeks. If you think I'm suggesting the fact that he got hurt indicates he couldn't handle the hard tag then you're dead wrong. I was purely basing my opinion on what he did with the ball in hand today. Having said all that, I/we must remember he was only lining up for his fifth AFL game today and expecting elite consistency week in, week out from a teenager is a huge ask. It's entirely possible my expectations were way too high for Rowelly today.

Maybe I shouldn't have answered the questions. Maybe my blunt assessment was born out of the flat feeling I had after that loss. I'm not sure but I certainly didn't mean to get under anyone's skin with my post. We're all suffering right now and we all deal with it in different ways. Just in case anyone is wondering, I believe in Buzz and think he can be the elite player we all want him to be.

One last thing... go Suns!

I don't think our loss was in any way the worst today
I think Sydney North Melbourne and Port would have gone into their games expecting to win and they all got done by about the same or more than we did
We were always only an upset possibility battling VFL umpires and a couple of milestone games, crazy travel itinerary and 21 players vs 22 for 95% of the game
As Mustang said, would have been less flakey if we'd scored in the last quarter

Yeah, we don't need that turd weasel in our players' ears thankyou
We know about your faith healing Grablett
It put another 6 months on your rehab and our Club on the brink but you didn't give a toss
Ignored medical advice and wanted to treat yourself
Piss off
Is it just me , but does anyone else have that feeling all this "Gee Matt, you could be just like Joel""Love you Rowelly" "Here to help Buzz" from Geelong is positioning themselves for trying to poach him?Of course not!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, we don't need that turd weasel in our players' ears thankyou
We know about your faith healing Grablett
It put another 6 months on your rehab and our Club on the brink but you didn't give a toss
Ignored medical advice and wanted to treat yourself
Piss off
Sorry but I think this comment is completely out of line.

Gary has offered to help mentor Matt through the injury- Gaz helping players at his old side out. This speaks volumes of the type of bloke Gary is. We don’t know how serious it is but Gaz will be there for him to provide support.

Gary has offered to help mentor Matt through the injury- Gaz helping players at his old side out. This speaks volumes of the type of bloke Gary is. We don’t know how serious it is but Gaz will be there for him to provide support.
Gary didn't do anything to help the young players up here when he was captain. Helped create a division in the playing group, flaked on the boys when needed. Didn't play and act like a captain after 2014. He is all about himself. Fantastic player but don't get it twisted

You have no idea
Every single thing I wrote there can be verified by news reports at the time
I suggest you bone up on Club History before babbling or attacking me Mr 2018

Is there an issue with us staying in Mebourne re Covid 19
You wouldn't want to. Trust me. We had 108 cases today. 6 housing buildings are now in lockdown. Dozens of over suburbs are in lockdown (not me..yet lol) and there is word that possibly they could be locking down all of metro melbourne next week.

I
You have no idea
Every single thing I wrote there can be verified by news reports at the time
I suggest you bone up on Club History before babbling or attacking me Mr 2018
I would say I’m pretty boned up on the club history actually.
All I was saying that the treatment to say that he shouldn’t be providing any advice or even talking to any of our players is very unfair.
He was our first captain, Brownlow medalist, all Australian, best and fairest for goodness sake. People will have opinions as to how he exited however without knowing personal reasons, it appears it was majorly because of family that he headed home. If he hated our club he wouldn’t be offering assistance to Rowell.

I

All I was saying that the treatment to say that he shouldn’t be providing any advice or even talking to any of our players is very unfair.
He was our first captain, Brownlow medalist, all Australian, best and fairest for goodness sake. People will have opinions as to how he exited however without knowing personal reasons, it appears it was majorly because of family that he headed home. If he hated our club he wouldn’t be offering assistance to Rowell.
If you are so boned up on the club history what was the god squad?

I

Actually he got caught out on the Footy Show saying he went home to play finals.

He manipulated the club with a sob story to get him home

Zero respect left for him, Ended up setting the club back 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are so boned up on the club history what was the god squad?
The God squad ‘back then not now’ was half the group that would always be around Gaz to pray and read the bible around the club and also at times before games. Things have changed now mate.
Actually he got caught out on the Footy Show saying he went home to play finals.

He manipulated the club with a sob story to get him home

Zero respect left for him, Ended up setting the club back 10 years.
He has played 350 games in the AFL. If people don’t appreciate what he has done for our club they are really need to reconsider. He helped put footy on the GC and in SEQ on the map. He helped build this club yet no one has any respect for him at all! People will have different opinions on his exit but we still need to appreciate and acknowledge the person that he was to the Suns and how he is willing to help the young kid out. Unbelievable some people’s narrow minded thoughts on here!

You wouldn't want to. Trust me. We had 108 cases today. 6 housing buildings are now in lockdown. Dozens of over suburbs are in lockdown (not me..yet lol) and there is word that possibly they could be locking down all of metro melbourne next week.
It for sure looks like the whole Melbourne will be shut down again. There could several hundreds cases tomorrow. Let's see. I hope not. These idiots travelling to NSW while positive will probably spread it to other states.

It for sure looks like the whole Melbourne will be shut down again. There could several hundreds cases tomorrow. Let's see. I hope not. These idiots travelling to NSW while positive will probably spread it to other states.
Nobody can get into NSW from a hotspot. I believe you need to show ID of where you live in Melb. And its not everyone. Ive got barely any in my area (city of yarra). All started with that bloody hotel mismanagement and security.

Lockdowns don't bother me. I don't go out a lot as it is. But I'd rather lockdown to try get this under control again, rather than it spreading more and more.

What does the prognosis for Rowell look like?

We were let down by our leaders today, Swallow, Wittsy, Hanley, Sexton and Harbrow.

I really don't know where Swallow is at, he had enough of the footy, but his kicking really hurt us. I don't know what his role is anymore.

I'm all for dropping Harbrow and Hanley for Sharp and Mclennan. It's a young back six but they couldn't have been any worse. Buddas has to be on warning too.

Fiorini in for Rowell doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I would rather see Brodie or Flanders come in, to fill that role. Maybe for Powel.

Sexton just goes missing for long stretches in the game, he is purely a goal scorer, I would rather see rankine in his role.

But that's 5 possible changes, I'm not sure you go unchanged for 3 weeks and then swing the axe with 1 injury and 4 omissions. Especially when you watch the second quarter in particular, like the players we had were capable, they just couldn't pull it together for 4 quarters

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some thoughts the early morning after the late afternoon the day before:

- Hanley has been poor 2 weeks in a row; if he can't hit open targets with his kick then he is a very negative player for us; and he can't take kick in's since his kick in's are atrocious.
- Harbs was awful but was pretty good last week; he stays, Hanley has to be dropped on performance
- our midfield was not good enough in general play to give us a chance to score; we were pretty good from stoppages and the centre square when we could move the ball quickly, but 28 inside 50's for a whole game? Rubbish.
- I think that means that we can't kick our way through congestion at the moment given some of our players that get the ball are not consistent kicks (Harbs, Hanley, Noah, Swallow, Greenwood, Miller).
- it is great to have a mid like Weller kick 2 goals and just miss another golden opportunity for a 3rd but you also need to, well....., play mid. You know, win some ball, get the ball forward with purpose. The kind of thing a mid does.
- the key forwards did well with limited chances but the other forward players did not have much to work with, especially the last 1/3 of the game.
- not sure how much impact the flight down in the morning had on some of the younger players; looked like a few need a rest but it might just be the same day travel since this is the first time they have done it.

Another poster asked me to answer those questions even though I didn't really want to after a disappointing loss. You don't have to agree with me but I tried to answer the question honestly instead of just giving a nothing answer by stating we didn't see enough. I pointed out that he didn't get a proper go at it today but that I thought he wasn't using it as effectively as he had been in recent games during the few times he touched the ball today. From memory, there were several instances where he was struggling to break tackles and dispose of the ball which had been a real strength of his over the last three weeks. If you think I'm suggesting the fact that he got hurt indicates he couldn't handle the hard tag then you're dead wrong. I was purely basing my opinion on what he did with the ball in hand today. Having said all that, I/we must remember he was only lining up for his fifth AFL game today and expecting elite consistency week in, week out from a teenager is a huge ask. It's entirely possible my expectations were way too high for Rowelly today.

Maybe I shouldn't have answered the questions. Maybe my blunt assessment was born out of the flat feeling I had after that loss. I'm not sure but I certainly didn't mean to get under anyone's skin with my post. We're all suffering right now and we all deal with it in different ways. Just in case anyone is wondering, I believe in Buzz and think he can be the elite player we all want him to be.

One last thing... go Suns!
I appreciate that you looked back at those questions.
Didn't agree 100% with all of your answers but we're all here with different views on the game so that is fine!
I have similar approach to you, thinking about specific 'questions' of our team and players for each game so that you verbalised these was great.

Amazing that 5 of our bottom 8 Rated players came from our defence.

means the ball was coming in way to hot.
And Turn overs.. aka harbrow and Hanley We’re causing us to let opposition get behind our line.

cats got way to many easy goals. Out the back or 3 on 1 due to the turn overs
Turnovers and mistakes in the defensive 50 were absolute killers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back