AFL R5

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a couple of early AFL bets for this round.

1U – Magpies SU @ $1.91 (Bet365)
1U – Geelong SU @ $2.80 (Bet365)

Both came in 10 cents soon after so whether the value is still there is for you to decide.

Personally I looked through the lines this evening and didn't like much at all.
Generally, there are a few games that I see and immediately like but not this week.

Have a few plays I like but don't think it will be large. Might be taking a closer look at some of the smaller markets, ones that I have done well in the past, but haven't played yet this year.

Getting in an early SC bet as it will be $1.65 come game day.

2 units Boyd under 120.5 SC @ $1.87
Boyd has started the season well but us still only averaging 103 and covered this big line 2/4. Come the end of the year he will be around that 103 mark, and to be honest I had written him off a bit and thought he would drop into the 90's with the likes of Libba and Macrae coming through.

Boyd has started the season well but us still only averaging 103 and covered this big line 2/4. Come the end of the year he will be around that 103 mark, and to be honest I had written him off a bit and thought he would drop into the 90's with the likes of Libba and Macrae coming through.
Tailed 2u Boyd < 120.5 sc@ 1.87
1u Macrae > 101.5 Dt @ 1.87

Funnily enough that was the one thing that caught my eye too when I was looking through the player markets & was close to taking it.

Reason why I haven't take it though is:

1. Boyd seems to be a great SC scorer, in previous years as long as he gets 30+ disposals, he is pretty much guaranteed a 120.
2. Think WB will win, which means that there will be 3-4 WB players that will be over the 120 mark.
3. Can't see any of the WB forwards having enough of an influence to be in the Top 3-4 players, which leaves the mids to distribute the points.
4. Think Macrae is due for a let-down, Griffen still not 100%... leaves Cooney, Boyd, Liberatore.

Have heard Liberatore may be a late out (injury or suspension), does anyone know anything about it?

EDIT: Changed my mind and taken it for 0.5U - Under 120.5 @ $1.87
Looks like Carrazzo did a job on Tyson last week so I imagine he will do one on Boyd this week.
Malthouse has a history of tagging runners (eg. Stanton) & he has a few at his disposal (Carrazzo, Curnow)

Last edited:
Funnily enough that was the one thing that caught my eye too when I was looking through the player markets & was close to taking it.

Reason why I haven't take it though is:

1. Boyd seems to be a great SC scorer, in previous years as long as he gets 30+ disposals, he is pretty much guaranteed a 120.
2. Think WB will win, which means that there will be 3-4 WB players that will be over the 120 mark.
3. Can't see any of the WB forwards having enough of an influence to be in the Top 3-4 players, which leaves the mids to distribute the points.
4. Think Macrae is due for a let-down, Griffen still not 100%... leaves Cooney, Boyd, Liberatore.

Have heard Liberatore may be a late out (injury or suspension), does anyone know anything about it?

EDIT: Changed my mind and taken it for 0.5U - Under 120.5 @ $1.87
Looks like Carrazzo did a job on Tyson last week so I imagine he will do one on Boyd this week.
Malthouse has a history of tagging runners (eg. Stanton) & he has a few at his disposal (Carrazzo, Curnow)

Id think Libba, Cooney and R.Murphy would be all tagged ahead of Boyd. Plus Griffen is starting to find his feet so if they think or feel hes fit enough he will be tagged ahead of Boyd IMO.

You never know though, coaches like to get crafty these days. I just dont think Boyd has a big enough impact or dangerous enough to warrant a tag.

FWIW last year they tagged Cooney and Griffen just had a look then. They seem to be trying to do less tagging roles this year, however i think they need to revert back to the thought of having a s**t midfield and the need to tag to be competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Gold Coast being over rated. So far have only won at GC and against the Tigers and Brisbane who i think have won one game between them. So they are yet to beat anyone. Got smashed by the hawks and freo did the job in heavy rain.

For me Richmond/Brisbane game is almost a no bet game. Richmond look deplorable without Deledio and Rance and they have so many holes in their team. Only to beat Carlton (the worse side in the comp) by a kick or two. Brisbane might have a few injuries but i feel Rockliff, Moloney, Redden, Aish, Lester maybe a Raines tag to cotch and Hanley still might be able to play could win the midfield battle.

Will the bombers bother putting the saints to the sword having to back up 6 days later against the pies in a huge ANZAC day clash. I agree though they are a way better side and should kill them.

Fremantle could smash the swans with Fyfe back into the side.

Richmond over 15.5
Fremantle 1-39
Port 1-39
Essendon 60+
Bulldogs 1-39
Hawthorn 1-39

$8 @ $120.21

Not sure about the Dons at 60 plus, playing in a hot game 33 degrees or so may be telling in the last quarter.

Not sure about the Dons at 60 plus, playing in a hot game 33 degrees or so may be telling in the last quarter.
These days the players are so fit that playing in 30 degree weather doesn't affect them too much. If Adelaide can demolish the saints in Melbourne then Essendon should too

Are Adelaide H2H huge value? Dogs beat giants comfortably. Giants travelling for the second week in a row. Adelaides confidence from last week should be through the roof, plus playing at home

Early tip for those awake,

2.5U - Port Adelaide SU @ $2.00 (Bet365)

Think Bookies and Punters are a bit spooked after Essendon were crunched in and got smashed out at Patterson's last week.
I lost a bit on that game but think it's a different proposition this game.

1U - St Kilda +48.5 @ $1.91 (Sportingbet)

Read reply to KA below.

Last edited:
Id think Libba, Cooney and R.Murphy would be all tagged ahead of Boyd. Plus Griffen is starting to find his feet so if they think or feel hes fit enough he will be tagged ahead of Boyd IMO.

You never know though, coaches like to get crafty these days. I just dont think Boyd has a big enough impact or dangerous enough to warrant a tag.

FWIW last year they tagged Cooney and Griffen just had a look then. They seem to be trying to do less tagging roles this year, however i think they need to revert back to the thought of having a s**t midfield and the need to tag to be competitive.

I agree with perhaps Cooney and Murphy being tagged but Malthouse prefers tagging those who find the footy as opposed to the in-and-Unders.

Think you will find Boyd missed their last year against the Blues.
Last game he played against them was in 2012 and he was tagged by Carrots - Long time ago I know.

Also, hard to notice the influence Boyd had on last week's match with 35-odd touches.

Are Gold Coast being over rated. So far have only won at GC and against the Tigers and Brisbane who i think have won one game between them. So they are yet to beat anyone. Got smashed by the hawks and freo did the job in heavy rain.

For me Richmond/Brisbane game is almost a no bet game. Richmond look deplorable without Deledio and Rance and they have so many holes in their team. Only to beat Carlton (the worse side in the comp) by a kick or two. Brisbane might have a few injuries but i feel Rockliff, Moloney, Redden, Aish, Lester maybe a Raines tag to cotch and Hanley still might be able to play could win the midfield battle.

Will the bombers bother putting the saints to the sword having to back up 6 days later against the pies in a huge ANZAC day clash. I agree though they are a way better side and should kill them.

Fremantle could smash the swans with Fyfe back into the side.

Good to you see you giving your thoughts on AFL games as well.

I rate the GCS this year but I think playing on the MCG would be a challenge for them. They should beat the Dees but I'm not sure about minus 24.5. If I had to pick one, it would be the GCS -24.5 & I'm usually an underdog line punter.

Think you will find the Lions put on a better performance this round, but whether that be for a qtr, half or full game is anyone's guess. 5-day break returning from Adelaide suggests that it mightn't last the game. Small lean on the Tigers -19.5 or second half.

Think the odds for the Saints are silly. $8.50 is akin to giving them no chance against the Bombers. Saints play Etihad well & have had close ones against the Bombers in the past (with a different team though)

Personally I think the odds are what they are cause the bookies want the line high enough after last week's blow out games & they think 90% of the money will be on the line as opposed to H2H. Can't imagine there would be too many willing to throw 6-figures on the Bombers at $1.10.

These days the players are so fit that playing in 30 degree weather doesn't affect them too much. If Adelaide can demolish the saints in Melbourne then Essendon should too

With the ANZAC day clash on Friday, it wouldn't suprise me to see Bomber manage his players and rest a few in the last qtr if they have control of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back