The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
So, following on from the loss vs Geelong, we have a chance to play Melbourne in a game that should be winable if we come with the right attitude!

Is it fair to assume Rankine is a lock to debut in this one? How did he go in the scratchie today?

I don't think see how we can possibly play Hanley and Harbrow after their performance against the Cats today. Both probably deserve to be dropped but I can understand if Dewy only chooses to drop one for experience reasons. In fact, there were quite a few passengers for us today so it's possible Stuey will choose to reward others who have built form in the scratch matches like Corbett, Brodie, Fiorini or Flanders.

LFG!

Dew said they are only bring 29 (including Rowell) players to Sydney. Apart from this team tonight. Wonder who the other 7 players are. Probably something to factor into suggesting changes.

Whomever is in QLD, arent coming to the Hub.
Two are Rankine and Smith. Then my guess Fiorini, Joyce, Hombsh, Brodie, Corbett/Wright.

Not sure it is a guarantee that Rowell misses.
Apparently with shoulder dislocations he will need surgery but that could be performed end of the year.
I'd suspect that club will play it safe, but potentially he could continue to play with aim to operate at the end of the year.

Not sure it is a guarantee that Rowell misses.
Apparently with shoulder dislocations he will need surgery but that could be performed end of the year.
I'd suspect that club will play it safe, but potentially he could continue to play with aim to operate at the end of the year.
We were probably going to give him a rest at some stage in the season anyway so maybe this isn’t as bad anyway! Giving him a rest now so he can charge hard at for the end of the season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wider wings at the Sydney Showgrounds should help us to utilise our speed in this one. We're used to playing on a ground that is 134m wide but yesterday we played at the very narrow Kardinia Park which was 116m wide. Sydney Showgrounds is 128m wide which isn't quite what we're used to but it's a lot better than the conditions in Geelong yesterday. We also won't have to fly on the game day and I think that's a big plus because I have a feeling it was a big factor behind our poor performance against the Cats. I also think it's back to basics at training this week. We made so many simple skill errors yesterday that cost us. Furthermore, let's debut Rankine so the media has something positive to report about leading into this game instead of focusing on the negatives.

It's time for us to separate ourselves from the bottom 6 and post a healthy win over the Demons. They are heading for a bottom 6 finish and I want us to make it clear that we're no longer in that territory in the ladder. Four quarter effort, please and thank you.

Helps that we have an extra day's rest for this one. The Dees will probably get smacked by Richmond today, meanwhile we're already in Sydney/Wollongong recovering.

Melbourne have been playing a small forward line

Mcdonald as the key forward - Collins
Fritsch as a medium with a big leap - Ballard
Hannan, Vandenburg, Lockhart, Hunt the mediums - Bowes, Joyce, Lukosius
Pickett the small - Harbrow

I have no expectation, that is why I threw an 'If' in there, however shoulder dislocations can be funny things and can vary from person to person. If I was Stuey, I would be planning to play without him for the year, but if he gets some games in, then that is just a bonus.

behind our poor performance against the Cats.
It was not a poor team performance except the last quarter and several absolutely horrendous (Hanley, Harbrow), very poor (Witts, Powell) and I would also add very average (Swallow) performances. We were up but 9 points close to mid 3rd.

Damn, just saw Cornes highlighting poor efforts by Harbrow and Hanley when we were still up.

I have no expectation, that is why I threw an 'If' in there, however shoulder dislocations can be funny things and can vary from person to person. If I was Stuey, I would be planning to play without him for the year, but if he gets some games in, then that is just a bonus.
I don’t see why not - if it doesn’t need surgery, at worst it’ll pop out again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back