Review AFL R6 v Melbourne @Giants Stadium 6:05pm Saturday 11th July

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many other mids Infront of him at the moment. He is competing with Swallow, Greenwood and Miller for that spot at the moment.

Greenwood is 28 years old. Brodie is 21 and has been given no opportunity. Brodie has a much higher ceiling than greenwood. Hasn’t ever been given the opportunity at the Suns. Two games ago he dominated Paddy Cripps and everyone was saying he was the next josh Kennedy. I would love him at the tiges if we can get a deal done.

Brodie's weaknesses are highlighted by player reviews etc.. but what is Greenwoods defensive transition like?
Can't imagine it is awesome to be honest.

Brodie's weaknesses are highlighted by player reviews etc.. but what is Greenwoods defensive transition like?
I don't know if this is what you are referring to, when you say defensive transition but Greenwood currently leading the entire competition for tackles.

You kidding? Greenwood is a defensive midfielder. It's why he's so vital to us at the moment.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

You kidding? Greenwood is a defensive midfielder. It's why he's so vital to us at the moment.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, when you say defensive transition but Greenwood currently leading the entire competition for tackles.

I had misremembered the quote from coaching staff about Wills performance in the scratch match.

"Will had another solid game this weekend as an inside midfielder and is winning the ball well at stoppages. He’s been working hard on the defensive aspect of his game and it was pleasing to see a few examples of excellent defensive work-rate from Will. This will need to remain a strong focus to push for senior selection"

I thought they were talking about defensive transition. For me that is important aspect of a midfielders game. If our opposition wins the ball in our forward half, how good are the midfielders at chasing their man and transitioning to defence. Teams like Brisbane, Port, St Kilda run and move the ball fast. Midfielders have to transition to defence quickly to prevent quick ball movement from the opposition. This was my interpretation of the areas Will has been asked to work on. Maybe I misinterpreted that though. Tackle numbers are a bit simplistic - Brodie averages 5 per game which is also very good so it's not really a representation of defensive work-rate.

No doubt Greenwood has been an excellent negating midfielder around the stoppages, what is he like on the spread though? I would reckon both Will and Hugh's running capacity is pretty similar in this regard. Both average about 2.5 intercept possessions per game. Jack Steele averages 2.0, Selwood 2.5, Elliott Yeo 3-4 so maybe that isn't a useful metric.

I had misremembered the quote from coaching staff about Wills performance in the scratch match.

"Will had another solid game this weekend as an inside midfielder and is winning the ball well at stoppages. He’s been working hard on the defensive aspect of his game and it was pleasing to see a few examples of excellent defensive work-rate from Will. This will need to remain a strong focus to push for senior selection"

I thought they were talking about defensive transition. For me that is important aspect of a midfielders game. If our opposition wins the ball in our forward half, how good are the midfielders at chasing their man and transitioning to defence. Teams like Brisbane, Port, St Kilda run and move the ball fast. Midfielders have to transition to defence quickly to prevent quick ball movement from the opposition. This was my interpretation of the areas Will has been asked to work on. Maybe I misinterpreted that though. Tackle numbers are a bit simplistic - Brodie averages 5 per game which is also very good so it's not really a representation of defensive work-rate.

No doubt Greenwood has been an excellent negating midfielder around the stoppages, what is he like on the spread though? I would reckon both Will and Hugh's running capacity is pretty similar in this regard. Both average about 2.5 intercept possessions per game. Jack Steele averages 2.0, Selwood 2.5, Elliott Yeo 3-4 so maybe that isn't a useful metric.

This is Spot on. Our boy (and your old boy) Dion Prestia is the best transition midfielder in the game. Coniglio also very good.
#GetBrodieToRichmond

The thing that probably hurts Will as well IMO (given we aren't privy to training footage or what is happening in the club itself) is his lack of flexibility. If he isn't playing midfield he offers very little else. Greenwood (since we seem to be running with him as an example) has the ability to swing to the forward line, provide a contest and snag a goal and if you look at most of our other midfielders they can as well (Weller HB, Miller Tagger, Swallow Forward etc). If Will isn't in the guts you can't just push him to a forward pocket, it means he goes and sits on the bench which doesn't help with rotations.

FWIW I would have brought in Brodie to replace Rowell and taken out a 3rd player for Fiorini but that is just my opinion.

The thing that probably hurts Will as well IMO (given we aren't privy to training footage or what is happening in the club itself) is his lack of flexibility. If he isn't playing midfield he offers very little else. Greenwood (since we seem to be running with him as an example) has the ability to swing to the forward line, provide a contest and snag a goal and if you look at most of our other midfielders they can as well (Weller HB, Miller Tagger, Swallow Forward etc). If Will isn't in the guts you can't just push him to a forward pocket, it means he goes and sits on the bench which doesn't help with rotations.

FWIW I would have brought in Brodie to replace Rowell and taken out a 3rd player for Fiorini but that is just my opinion.
If Brodie gets traded without getting a chance to show what he's got playing in his preferred position for an extended run I'll be so disappointed.
Doesn't mean I think he is a gun, but got to give the guy a chance. Pretty sure he'll get opportunities this year, just got to take them when he does.

Once Brodie shows the coaches his defensive improvement, he deserves a run in the seniors, I'd be pretty disappointed if he was traded due to lack of opportunity after staying loyal with the club, which majority of people would of thought he was leaving. Brodie is young and has a bright future, i just hope its with us.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once Brodie shows the coaches his defensive improvement, he deserves a run in the seniors, I'd be pretty disappointed if he was traded due to lack of opportunity after staying loyal with the club, which majority of people would of thought he was leaving. Brodie is young and has a bright future, i just hope its with us.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Me too but I’m not afraid to lose players if they can’t make the defensive effort - it’s the cornerstone of our game. I think Brodie is a brilliant talent, but if he wants Rowells spot he’s gonna have to play better than Rowell

for what it’s worth I think he‘ll be in once we return to QLD - all the best clubs have genuine competition to make the 22. You want a game you earn it

I’m not buying what the club is trying to sell regarding Brodie.
Him not getting a game has nothing to do with his defensive effort that complete B*******.
He’s just another very good player that the club have mismanaged and fail him they have never given him a real chance to show what he can do.
There has been so many players over the past 3 year that have been gifted game over him.
When he finally gets called up they give him just the one or two games then drop him again it would be totally killing his confidence.
He should have been straight in this weekend replacing Rowell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not buying what the club is trying to sell regarding Brodie.
Him not getting a game has nothing to do with his defensive effort that complete B*******.
He’s just another very good player that the club have mismanaged and fail him they have never given him a real chance to show what he can do.
There has been so many players over the past 3 year that have been gifted game over him.
When he finally gets called up they give him just the one or two games then drop him again it would be totally killing his confidence.
He should have been straight in this weekend replacing Rowell

Him not getting a game is due to ___________ ?

Who's spot does Brodie take out of today's team? Not wanting a big argument just interested in people's opinions.
Yep thats the problem, Touk & Hugh are holding those spots at the moment. I love Will but just has to wait his turn

Who's spot does Brodie take out of today's team? Not wanting a big argument just interested in people's opinions.
Hanley should have been dropped has had two absolute shockers.
Melbourne s strength is their inside mids Brodie has the body to compete not sure Fiorini can match their midfield.
Big game for the club ,we have had enjoyed positive publicity the last month.
Need a good performance to continue with the good vibes.

Touk and Greenwood hold there spot on current form so it would be Fiorini or swallow

Feel like today is a bit of a sliding doors moment for us. We have a winnable game. If we get it it renews our confidence in ourselves and the gameplan, giving us the ability to beat Sydney next week.

Lose and it brings back bad memories of what happened last year. A 'not again' sort of vibe. Feel like a lot is riding on this game. We've already one three games but we really need to clear the mental hurdle of getting another.

Hanley should have been dropped has had two absolute shockers.
Melbourne s strength is their inside mids Brodie has the body to compete not sure Fiorini can match their midfield.
Big game for the club ,we have had enjoyed positive publicity the last month.
Need a good performance to continue with the good vibes.
Melbournes midfield is overated, they can win the ball but they can't kick. If they played like they did against richmond, watch them handball around and then bomb it forward

Melbournes midfield is overated, they can win the ball but they can't kick. If they played like they did against richmond, watch them handball around and then bomb it forward
Yep, hoping Melbourne continues with their hopeless disposal and terrible I50 delivery. But they brought contest and pressure against Tigers and their backs are against wall and made good substitutions. Crucial and very tough game for us. I seriously hope that Witts lifts. If we win we could even think about finals this year.

I hope players can do it for Harbs and Rankine. That GC Bulletin article about Harbrow is telling. Harbrow played games last year only because of injections, no training.

Starting to have two types of inside mids. Those who win the ball and those who defensively minded and pressure the ball winner. Greenwood the later, but without Rowell who was more the former style - who steps up winning the ball. Melb good at winning ball but poor defensively so could be a shoot out of styles. Big leadership game from Swallow needed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back