Review AFL R7 - vs Sydney @ The SCG - Saturday July 18th 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

We reached a fair way to get Wil, with a different list manager, so we must see something there. He offers more than lemmens did in his first few years, but I think lemmens can offer us more right now. Some or Wils passes, and his marking have me still believing he will be a hell of a player, just needs to stay with it for longer in games
Who couldn't love Wil's energy and committment to the cause?
We all do
I just don't see him becoming the player the Club wants him to be and he seems to get opportunities above other players who (to me anyway) can offer more at this stage
He's a project player
Sometimes I wonder if players like Wil get a game because they're on minimum coin and the Club is hoping to find a cheapie to balance out the Rankine Rowell Anderson King Lukosius Ballard Greenwood Ellis contracts

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Awesome game for our club!

We were expected to win and we did it relatively comfortably on the road (coming off two away games makes it an even better away win). Wittsy and Spitta really stepped up after a few quiet games and you see the difference it makes when those two are on for us. Rankine continues to impress and I think we're all very excited about what he's going to bring on a weekly basis. Greenwood definitely deserves a mention as well with 23 disposals, 9 clearances and 12 tackles. Ellis, Touk, Weller and Bowes were all solid and I feel Anderson played his best game to date yesterday.

The only guy that really troubled us yesterday was Papley but he's going to trouble most teams so I don't think we should look into that too much. Kingy was really quiet again. I think teams have figured out how to restrict his involvement and Ben will need to add a few more strings to his bow to beat the best key defender each week. If he continues to bring the ball to ground then our smalls like Rankine will still kick goals so it's not a huge concern right now, especially since Day is hitting the scoreboard. I love Benny Ainsworth but I did feel there were moments last night where he tried to play like Rankine and it just didn't work. Probably needs to stick to what he's good at and leave the spectacular stuff for Izzy. I'm probably being overly critical with these cons though because I felt we played well yesterday.

All in all, it was a great day to be a Suns fan.

Last edited:
Powelly is out of form but he will be a very good wingman in years to come.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Agree, he’s got the long term goods. Great run and carry.

Just shouldn’t be playing as regularly as he does if not performing.

He seems to be gifted games at the moment. Too many quality players waiting in the wings who deserve their opportunity.

I understand that, he had to leave the 50, make space for Day, he didn't have much of an impact on the game though, I just think if he has to do that again if we go down that path again what he would look like playing behind the ball, even if that sends lukocius up to CHF.. just give our team a few more looks
Dew said king done the job he was asked to do in his press conference

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, he’s got the long term goods. Great run and carry.

Just shouldn’t be playing as regularly as he does if not performing.

He seems to be gifted games at the moment. Too many quality players waiting in the wings who deserve their opportunity.
Really don't understand the criticism of Powell in this game. Numbers mean little. The team played very well except shot inaccuracy and some brief lapses of concentration. It could easily be 50+ win. To criticize individual players seems unfair to me as all played their role. It's a team effort.

I re-watched the last quarter just to focus on Powell as most people noticed him in first half when he actually saved us a couple of times. It looks like in the last quarter Powell spent first 4 and half mins on the bench and went off with 2-3 min left in the game. Our defense had it covered most of the time and the first 4-5 mins of Powell time the the ball was mostly on the other side from where Powell played. Powell came into action 3-4 times, did not make any mistake. He actually forced Papley to miss the goal.

Powell never gives up, has great skills, works for the team, understand the structures. He's our future. Two meniscus surgeries in the last 12 months, interrupted pre-season. Yes, he looked a bit underdone as season progressed and looked exhausted in Cats game.

I thought the whole defense played well except allowing marks to McCartin and Aliir. They adjusted well in the second half. Powell fit well there, defending different players, protecting space, did not make mistakes. Harbrow, Bowes, Lukosius get the ball in their hands and drive forward, Ballard and Collins intercept. Putting Hanley on the wing worked.

Last edited:
What I've noticed lately is that teams get 'up' to play us. I imagine it's because they believe they are genuine chances of beating us (and in years gone by they have). Sydney played a million times better yesterday than at any point this year. Melbourne the same the week before.

Frustrating. Oh well. I guess it makes us better in the long term.

Really don't understand the criticism of Powell in this game. Numbers mean little. The team played very well except shot inaccuracy and some brief lapses of concentration. It could easily be 50+ win. To criticize individual players seems unfair to me as all played their role. It's a team effort.

I re-watched the last quarter just to focus on Powell as most people noticed him in first half when he actually saved us a couple of times. It looks like in the last quarter Powell spent first 4 and half mins on the bench and went off with 2-3 min left in the game. Our defense had it covered most of the time and the first 4-5 mins of Powell time the the ball was mostly on the other side from where Powell played. Powell came into action 3-4 times, did not make any mistake. He actually forced Papley to miss the goal.

Powell never gives up, has great skills, works for the team, understand the structures. He's our future. Two meniscus surgeries in the last 12 months, interrupted pre-season. Yes, he looked a bit underdone as season progressed and looked exhausted in Cats game.

I thought the whole defense played well except allowing marks to McCartin and Allir. They adjusted well in the second half. Powell fit well there, defending different players, protecting space, did not make mistakes. Harbrow, Bowes, Lukosius get the ball in their hands and drive forward, Ballard and Collins intercept. Putting Hanley on the wing worked.

No criticism, think Powell will be a great player in the future. But is struggling on the wing, and was ok as a small defender but no impact offensively.

I think he needs a rest - looks a bit cooked - and give guys like Sharp, Flanders, etc a chance to strut there stuff. They deserve a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Weller kicked 5 goals in his first 37 games with the Suns, he has kicked 8 goals in the last 9 games.
Having a great finisher up the field just adds another way for us to score. Been really good.

Lachie Weller kicked 5 goals in his first 37 games with the Suns, he has kicked 8 goals in the last 9 games.
Having a great finisher up the field just adds another way for us to score. Been really good.

He’s too valuable to ever play in the backline again.

I reckon Bowes would be snagging a couple every week as well if he wasn’t stuck in defense.

Stuey says in the post-match presser that Justin Langer (YES, JUSTIN LANGER) came and gave the boys a pep talk mid-week! How awesome!!
well that answers my question of whether it was justin or his doppelganger i saw driving out of peppers broadbeach carpark this week haha.

wicked game on saturday! gutsy effort to stick it out for the win. noah's workrate was unreal, he really stood out to me.

I watched the replay last night.

Anderson was so good in the first half. He will be some player!

Day played well and would have been his best game for a while, he missed a couple of simple marks and that first kick for goal touched... he could have ended up with 4 goals.

Hanley looked much more comfortable on the wing and his kicks were much more penetrating and hit a few targets which was nice.

Macpherson way out of form, Couple of shocking handballs, missed marks, not much pressure...I really like Darcy, hope he can find some form soon.

Bowes is officially my favourite player. Future captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back