Review AFL R8 vs Western Bulldogs @Metricon- Thursday 23 July 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all, I imagine you would be disappointed with losing that game, but your team is going to be incredible in only a few short years. Rankine, Rowell and King, wow three one in a million players in the one team, how lucky can you get. I also feel you are a clean team, you don’t play dirty or whinge to the umpires you just get on with it.

I expect you to play finals this year, and the future is bright.

Could you also do us doggies a favour and win a premiership before GWS ;)

Certainly torched Weller once and sexton on another occasion. But I’m the moment hard to blame him for having a ping.
Think there is a problem with the small forwards apart from Rankine, none are big goal kickers. Ainsworth is now a better mid and Holman and MacPherson are struggling to consistently hit the scoreboard. Maybe better options in the reserves and academy long term

Certainly torched Weller once and sexton on another occasion. But I’m the moment hard to blame him for having a ping.
I also saw these - thought it looked like underage footy, trying to put the team on his back and snag the difficult goal. Clearly he felt comfortable taking the shot though. Got to be a balancing act - if you feel comfortable and inside 50, take the shot. IFf someone is clearly in space though, give it off.

Think there is a problem with the small forwards apart from Rankine, none are big goal kickers. Ainsworth is now a better mid and Holman and MacPherson are struggling to consistently hit the scoreboard. Maybe better options in the reserves and academy long term
Sexton has proven to be a big goal kicker, so long as he's on form. But you're right, we don't have many actual small forwards. We have mostly mids that can apply good defensive pressure that are jammed up there.

Rankine the exception. I think part of the reason he stands out so much with his crumbing work is because we haven't seen our small forwards do that since we had Matera running around. Lemmens looked like he was getting there too in the Marsh series, but haven't seen him since.

I also saw these - thought it looked like underage footy, trying to put the team on his back and snag the difficult goal. Clearly he felt comfortable taking the shot though. Got to be a balancing act - if you feel comfortable and inside 50, take the shot. IFf someone is clearly in space though, give it off.
Don't mind Anderson/Rankine taking those shots, aslong as they win us some games the same way later on. Take the bad with the good.

Don't mind Anderson/Rankine taking those shots, aslong as they win us some games the same way later on. Take the bad with the good.
Agreed. I'd rather them have the confidence to pull the trigger and have a shot rather then * around with the ball and cause a turnover or make a mistake. Both players are the sort of blokes with a few more pre seasons will win a game by themselves. Keep backing them in and they will get there.

I would like to see a bit more from Ainsworth.. had a couple of good passages of play the last few weeks but not consistent.. definitely doesn’t deserve to be dropped though

Forward flank / pocket hard to get into games consistently (just ask DMac). Surprised we haven’t given Benny some more time on ball given there are periods where we look a bit slow in there. Maybe last night wasn’t the night for it as the Doggies have a big midfield with Bont, Macrae, Smith.

Forward flank / pocket hard to get into games consistently (just ask DMac). Surprised we haven’t given Benny some more time on ball given there are periods where we look a bit slow in there. Maybe last night wasn’t the night for it as the Doggies have a big midfield with Bont, Macrae, Smith.
Ainsworth is playing alright, he does need some more time through the middle. Has the power and ball use to be dangerous. When Weller isn't in the middle we look so slow its gonna kill us against teams like the Dogs, Gws and Bris

The coaching team will go through these mistakes and the team will learn from last night
We should be absoloute geniuses with all the mistake learning we've done over the past 11 years
Fiorini must have been wrapt to see Nick Holman lining up in the centre last night 3rd quarter in an effort to get him somewhere near the ball given he had 30+ disposals in the same fixture last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously everyone is disappointed we lost that game. It was a lost opportunity, but that game gave me some real optimism that, like Touk intimated in his after match interview, there is so much more improvement left in this team. Thought the game would’ve been more useful for the coaches than our wins against WCE etc.

Showed some areas we need to work on, and some players that need some work. Midfield battled manfully but still appears to be a couple of class players short (We have one but he’s in the stands). We are still a genuine key defender short. Another good HB would help. An extra season or two into our young blokes like Powell and Luko, and we win that game. Think our upside is greater than the Dogs.

Damn it, woke up with a headache and really flat. I can't imagine how players feel after such a loss. With a bit of luck we could had been 6:2 and on the way to play finals. I am sure players realize that too. The longer the hubs go the more Vic teams will be affected by living away from homes. I think we are still in it.

Touk is a real champion and I am really happy for him. A lot of people now eat their words about him. He looked shattered in his interview. Similar to him, I believed the last 10 min we had them.

I have time to re-watch it but I don't want to as I will see really silly mistakes, turnovers. For some reason, that 50m penalty by Rankine really pisses me off as it changed the momentum. That was undisciplined. Again, for the second time, the game was on his boot. I know, he's only 3 games player and will win us many games in the future. How lucky we are to have him. Still frustrated.

10 days break. Contrary to general opinion, I doubt there will any changes against GWS.

Damn it, woke up with a headache and really flat. I can't imagine how players feel after such a loss. With a bit of luck we could had been 6:2 and on the way to play finals. I am sure players realize that too. The longer the hubs go the more Vic teams will be affected by living away from homes. I think we are still in it.

Touk is a real champion and I am really happy for him. A lot of people now eat their words about him. He looked shattered in his interview. Similar to him, I believed the last 10 min we had them.

I have time to re-watch it but I don't want to as I will see really silly mistakes, turnovers. For some reason, that 50m penalty by Rankine really pisses me off as it changed the momentum. That was undisciplined. Again, for the second time, the game was on his boot. I know, he's only 3 games player and will win us many games in the future. How lucky we are to have him. Still frustrated.

10 days break. Contrary to general opinion, I doubt there will any changes against GWS.
I have always been a Miller fan simply because of his commitment to the cause but I put my hand up high as someone who never saw him progressing his game to this level.Always thought he would be a solid B but he is definitely B+ maybe A now.No-one works harder at being the best they can be by all accounts
Was disappointing last night that my vote getters were all senior players 26yo+ given the opportunities we're throwing at the young guys.Luko was close

I have always been a Miller fan simply because of his commitment to the cause but I put my hand up high as someone who never saw him progressing his game to this level.Always thought he would be a solid B but he is definitely B+ maybe A now.No-one works harder at being the best they can be by all accounts
Was disappointing last night that my vote getters were all senior players 26yo+ given the opportunities we're throwing at the young guys.Luko was close
Yep Miller has been fantastic. Gives 110% rain hail or shine. I didn't think he was in the starting midfield this year and boy am I happy i was wrong

Yep Miller has been fantastic. Gives 110% rain hail or shine. I didn't think he was in the starting midfield this year and boy am I happy i was wrong
Hopefully nothing serious with his knee. He had it strapped already 3 weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back