Review AFL R8 vs Western Bulldogs @Metricon- Thursday 23 July 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

So was Keath, King has been down the past couple of weeks. Nothing to be worried about but looking forward to seeing some different looks.

Ainsworth must be frustrated with his progress in comparison to others, I like the idea of him swapping on the ball a couple of times per game.

I am oddly satisfied with that loss today. Thought we did most things right, just a couple of shots went amiss but not to worry. In the grand scheme of it, we are motoring along.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think there is a problem with the small forwards apart from Rankine, none are big goal kickers. Ainsworth is now a better mid and Holman and MacPherson are struggling to consistently hit the scoreboard. Maybe better options in the reserves and academy long term
Ainsworth seems to be a nothing player at the moment, he isn’t a forward and he isn’t a mid, I wish they would just play him as a small forward as that’s what got him picked at pick 4 In His draft as he can be elite there. I understand that coaches want versatility so they have options but it’s not helping Ben be the best player he can be. Well that’s my 2 cents anyway

One interesting thing mentioned in the call last night is the suns are ranked 18th when it comes to playing on from marks. I think a lot of the problems stems from that, because it means the team aren't moving the ball fast enough and allowing the opposition to flood the forward 50. If players start to play on more often and get it into the 50 when it's more open, there will be more/better scoring opportunities. You simply can't allow the opposition time to set-up and flood the 50. Now, I'm not saying play on at all costs, but if it's open then go for it. Even if it's even numbers up ahead, if there's not too many up there, it'll be much easier to score when it's open. Just look at Richards goal last night, where even though he was never going to be able to take the mark, because it was one-on-one contest in an open 50, had enough space to still get the goal (you won't get it every time, but it's a much higher chance when it's not flooded).

One interesting thing mentioned in the call last night is the suns are ranked 18th when it comes to playing on from marks. I think a lot of the problems stems from that, because it means the team aren't moving the ball fast enough and allowing the opposition to flood the forward 50. If players start to play on more often and get it into the 50 when it's more open, there will be more/better scoring opportunities. You simply can't allow the opposition time to set-up and flood the 50.
That was really evident last night

That was really evident last night
Yeah, that was clearly the difference last night. Some may say both teams had the same number of shots, but most of the suns behinds were rushed kicks in congestion, whereas the dogs shots were much easier cause they had so much space. Hopefully this problem is rectified quickly. I'd much rather a player risk turning the ball over by getting it in quick then allow the opposition to flood the 50 (cause even if it is turned over, it's in the forward 50).

Yeah, that was clearly the difference last night. Some may say both teams had the same number of shots, but most of the suns behinds were rushed kicks in congestion, whereas the dogs shots were much easier cause they had so much space. Hopefully this problem is rectified quickly. I'd much rather a player risk turning the ball over by getting it in quick then allow the opposition to flood the 50 (cause even if it is turned over, it's in the forward 50).
It's something you see at the ground rather than on TV
Just like the WBs isolating Wil Powell
You won't see it with the limited angles we're currently getting
Very noticeable difference from round 2 and 3 when we just seemed to be running in waves from HB to HF

It's something you see at the ground rather than on TV
Just like the WBs isolating Wil Powell
You won't see it with the limited angles we're currently getting
Very noticeable difference from round 2 and 3 when we just seemed to be running in waves from HB to HF
Yeah true, but last night was bad enough you already knew the 50 was flooded before they even showed it. You could just tell that for some strange reason players were reluctant to play on, and (for the most part) didn't want to kick to a contest unless it was their only option. I think some players may be a little too scared of turning it over after a couple weeks ago against melbourne. Hopefully players will learn that sometimes you need to risk turning it over, and turnovers inside forward 50 don't hurt as much if you apply pressure, and it's mainly turnovers outside of that area that kill you.

Yeah true, but last night was bad enough you already knew the 50 was flooded before they even showed it. You could just tell that for some strange reason players were reluctant to play on, and (for the most part) didn't want to kick to a contest unless it was their only option. I think some players may be a little too scared of turning it over after a couple weeks ago against melbourne. Hopefully players will learn that sometimes you need to risk turning it over, and turnovers inside forward 50 don't hurt as much if you apply pressure, and it's mainly turnovers outside of that area that kill you.
Teams are pretty seriously coached these days
It's not quite NFL chess pieces but it's getting closer
If it's noticeable to us watching in the stands then it's definitely been coached
Presumably it was based on conditions or matchups or both
There was nothing exciting about last night's match
Of course not having Rowell shrugging off tackles and pushing forward is a big loss
Look at GWS tonight with Greene back
One player can make a difference

One interesting thing mentioned in the call last night is the suns are ranked 18th when it comes to playing on from marks. I think a lot of the problems stems from that, because it means the team aren't moving the ball fast enough and allowing the opposition to flood the forward 50. If players start to play on more often and get it into the 50 when it's more open, there will be more/better scoring opportunities. You simply can't allow the opposition time to set-up and flood the 50. Now, I'm not saying play on at all costs, but if it's open then go for it. Even if it's even numbers up ahead, if there's not too many up there, it'll be much easier to score when it's open. Just look at Richards goal last night, where even though he was never going to be able to take the mark, because it was one-on-one contest in an open 50, had enough space to still get the goal (you won't get it every time, but it's a much higher chance when it's not flooded).
I don’t think our skills are good enough to allow us to do this, I think Dew is trying to minimise the damage from turn overs. I think this is a combination of underdeveloped young kids both in size and running capacity and a few poor kicks in the side

I don’t think our skills are good enough to allow us to do this, I think Dew is trying to minimise the damage from turn overs. I think this is a combination of underdeveloped young kids both in size and running capacity and a few poor kicks in the side
Certainly noticeable we have changed our gamestyle since Buzz went down

I disagree. The team has been running games out well and skills are definitely there. If anything skill related, it's probably not having the composure to execute under pressure. I think it's the kids not having enough experience to make quick decisions and being confident enough to take risks. Also, I don't think Dew would be coaching the players not to take risks. He would probably be trying to teach them the right time to take risks and play on, but that would probably take a long time to learn (and can only be learned through experience).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back