News AFL RATINGS - Eagles 5 players in Top 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood have 10 players in the top 100 we have 5. We have 0 in the top 20. Gov is clearly top 20

How is Gaff not in the top 100 players. All Australian again but cant make the top 100. Jarryd Roughead is ranked above JK and Darling?????? Brad Shepherd isn't even in the top 50 of small medium defenders. Hugh Greenwood is ranked 59 overall, handy player but please!!!!!!

How can AFL.com even post these ratings when you can see they are just absolute crap

Collingwood have 10 players in the top 100 we have 5. We have 0 in the top 20. Gov is clearly top 20

How is Gaff not in the top 100 players. All Australian again but cant make the top 100. Jarryd Roughead is ranked above JK and Darling?????? Brad Shepherd isn't even in the top 50 of small medium defenders. Hugh Greenwood is ranked 59 overall, handy player but please!!!!!!

How can AFL.com even post these ratings when you can see they are just absolute crap

Totally agree, first rate crap

Look at the positives.
With only 5 players in the top 100, we are bound to win the wooden spoon “again “ and pick up No 1 draft pick.
“Walls Syndrome” is the new epidemic

It just shows how wrong the ratings are. We had a champion team but to rate Gaff below 100 is absolutely ridiculous, but I can see outside players are low in the rankings because Isaac smith is also low

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vinscully1.jpg

Not sure where it was on here I saw this quote over the last few weeks, but it's a ripper.

But rich isn’t it. Easily make a case for Yeo, Jack darling, Kennedy, Gaff, Shuey, Mcgovern, Nic and shep being top 50 players in the comp alone

It’s a system which is designed around attacking footballers, guys that contribute to direct score involvements. Rated on last 40 matches, so if you’ve missed football in the last year and a half you’ll drop. It’s no surprise Shuey is #1 at WC- when he gets it, things happen. Nic would have been top 10 had it not been for missing a year.

FWIW- in the original model, Jack Redden in his Brisbane days was top 10. The afl didn’t think that was right so changed the model to lessen defensive efforts.

Gaff isn’t rated in these measures for a number of reasons. Firstly, although he gets a lot of the ball- he does get a lot in the back half/wing. It’s hard to have direct score assists from there. He will only score well IF that chain turns into a score. So his scoring rate in these will depend on others. Secondly, up intil this year, he wasn’t hitting the scoreboard a great deal. So in measurables around scoring/score involvements- he was only midtable.

He did, however, improve significantly this year, but it will really be later this year that we see him jump in the ratings when those lower scores are removed from his rating assessment.

I pay attention to this the same way I view most stats- useful, but I wouldn’t be using these on their own to prove a point. Especially for us, a side so role driven that now relies more on team collective than individual efforts.

vinscully1.jpg

Not sure where it was on here I saw this quote over the last few weeks, but it's a ripper.
I agree, a cracking quote. I'm just not sure what a waterfall has to do with it?

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls was performed by TLC.
Left Eye Lopez was a member of TLC.
Left-handedness occurs in approximately 10-15% of the population. This statement is a statistic.

Got it now.

It’s a system which is designed around attacking footballers, guys that contribute to direct score involvements. Rated on last 40 matches, so if you’ve missed football in the last year and a half you’ll drop. It’s no surprise Shuey is #1 at WC- when he gets it, things happen. Nic would have been top 10 had it not been for missing a year.

FWIW- in the original model, Jack Redden in his Brisbane days was top 10. The afl didn’t think that was right so changed the model to lessen defensive efforts.

Gaff isn’t rated in these measures for a number of reasons. Firstly, although he gets a lot of the ball- he does get a lot in the back half/wing. It’s hard to have direct score assists from there. He will only score well IF that chain turns into a score. So his scoring rate in these will depend on others. Secondly, up intil this year, he wasn’t hitting the scoreboard a great deal. So in measurables around scoring/score involvements- he was only midtable.

He did, however, improve significantly this year, but it will really be later this year that we see him jump in the ratings when those lower scores are removed from his rating assessment.

I pay attention to this the same way I view most stats- useful, but I wouldn’t be using these on their own to prove a point. Especially for us, a side so role driven that now relies more on team collective than individual efforts.
If the these ratings translate to Dollars Paid we are certainly over paying more that half our squad despite the fact that other clubs would be more than willing to match to secure our players.
Would not work in the real world.

That article is just another AFL promoted Collingwood circle-jerk. The premiers don't even get a mention.

But who cares? I think we do better flying under the radar, so let them keep underestimating us. It worked pretty well for us last year.

That article is just another AFL promoted Collingwood circle-jerk. The premiers don't even get a mention.

But who cares? I think we do better flying under the radar, so let them keep underestimating us. It worked pretty well for us last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back