News AFL RATINGS - Eagles 5 players in Top 100

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Points system is clearly heavily flawed, as far as I'm concerned we had 8 or possibly 9 of the 100 best players this season, with a full season from naitanui making it 10. Shuey, yeo, gaff, darling, jk, hurn, gov, shep are locks and redden is arguable.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood have 10 players in the top 100 we have 5. We have 0 in the top 20. Gov is clearly top 20

How is Gaff not in the top 100 players. All Australian again but cant make the top 100. Jarryd Roughead is ranked above JK and Darling?????? Brad Shepherd isn't even in the top 50 of small medium defenders. Hugh Greenwood is ranked 59 overall, handy player but please!!!!!!

How can AFL.com even post these ratings when you can see they are just absolute crap
Short answer: these ratings are not credible so ignore them.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
These rankings are rapidly becoming one of my biggest gripes as they are so resoundingly terrible.

AFL Player Ratings being the top-notch toilet water provider that they are, still haven't updated the lists of players that have changed clubs yet for 2019 - it appears at least that Ben Collins updated club lists to arrive at the data in his article; but it still doesn't change the source which remains stale toilet water.

It is my opinion that the system is inherently flawed which skews ratings overwhelmingly towards goalkicking midfielders and ruckmen. 20% of the top 25 places are occupied by rucks, which is garbage. Key defenders and forwards are undervalued whilst any kind of outside positioning is effectively ignored entirely.

So apparently we won the premiership with a team that has only five players ranked within the top 100. I call bullshit on the ranking scheme when that happens.

Conversely, the ranking system that I run myself has us currently with 7 players within the top 25:
WCE-Player-Ratings-Post-2018-Top100.jpg

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
These rankings are rapidly becoming one of my biggest gripes as they are so resoundingly terrible.

AFL Player Ratings being the top-notch toilet water provider that they are, still haven't updated the lists of players that have changed clubs yet for 2019 - it appears at least that Ben Collins updated club lists to arrive at the data in his article; but it still doesn't change the source which remains stale toilet water.

It is my opinion that the system is inherently flawed which skews ratings overwhelmingly towards goalkicking midfielders and ruckmen. 20% of the top 25 places are occupied by rucks, which is garbage. Key defenders and forwards are undervalued whilst any kind of outside positioning is effectively ignored entirely.

So apparently we won the premiership with a team that has only five players ranked within the top 100. I call bullshit on the ranking scheme when that happens.

Conversely, the ranking system that I run myself has us currently with 7 players within the top 25:
View attachment 595213
I would think your listings are more accurate as we need to face the fact West coast have been very consistent this year and have been impressive, in my opinion.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood have 10 players in the top 100 we have 5. We have 0 in the top 20. Gov is clearly top 20

How is Gaff not in the top 100 players. All Australian again but cant make the top 100. Jarryd Roughead is ranked above JK and Darling?????? Brad Shepherd isn't even in the top 50 of small medium defenders. Hugh Greenwood is ranked 59 overall, handy player but please!!!!!!

How can AFL.com even post these ratings when you can see they are just absolute crap
Being honest, I don't give a s**t as it looks like total rubbish I would have at least reversed Collingwood with us considering we have been largely consistent and Premiers!!! I would love to see the way they come to their marking? Consistency and win ratio must be their somewhere?

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree, a cracking quote. I'm just not sure what a waterfall has to do with it?

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls was performed by TLC.
Left Eye Lopez was a member of TLC.
Left-handedness occurs in approximately 10-15% of the population. This statement is a statistic.

Got it now.
You must work in local government with insight like that... The one important statistic is who won the Premiership and who scored the winning goal!

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 595213
How do you differ from Champion data? Asking for a friend....that works at Champion data.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 595213

I like your rankings system the only real gripe I have with it is it places a little too much favour on the last 7 (im working from memory here) games, hence with us winning the grand final i think some players may be inflated.

Gov, Gaff, Shuey, Hurn and Yeo i would have in the top 50. Nicnat, Kennedy and Darling in the 50-100 range. Cripps, Barrass, Redden, Sheppard being in the 100-150 mark. Rioli, Sheed, Cole, Duggan as potential big risers and able to enter these ranges next year. Nic barely playing, Kennedy and Hurn ageing could see them dropping sharply however. We need similar or close to similar performances from the veterans whilst seeing those younger players listed jumping up to be a shot at back to back imo.

I do however applaud your system and the effort you put into it. It is certainly "to my footballing perspective" much more accurate than the AFL or Champion data's offerings.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Nic nat and Shuey were inside the top 20 at one stage but injuries hurt. Its based on the last 2 years so doesnt reflect very recent form.

Back