Preview AFL Reboot 2020 - football to resume June 11

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s the worst case scenario and players are away for 20 weeks, I think they should be paid at least part of their salary. Being away from your family for that long for some people doesn’t come down to a choice, it’s just impossible for them to do it.
Should players be punished financially for something that is completely out of their control? I don’t think they should personally.
Whether they get paid or not, they definitely shouldn’t be ridiculed by fans by being told to “HTFU.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What would make it impossible for them to do it?

It highlights how compromised sections of the media are when it comes to placating those that control them.
To be fair, GW has been pretty consistent about this from the start. Not sure he's trying to placate anybody.

The truth is, the only reason they desperately want to play a season is because all of these people want to get paid this year. If they were happy to join the Centrelink queue with everyone else then we could just restart in 2021 with only a small financial hit. The hub idea is almost entirely for their benefit.

What would make it impossible for them to do it?

Valuing family more than a job.
- having a pregnant partner.
- having a family with no family support.
- having someone in the family with a terminal illness.
- mental health.
- addiction.
- sick family member.
That’s just to name a few reasons, obviously lots of people are affected in different ways. Some people under those scenarios still might see it as a choice to stay or go. Then there are some people who value family first and don’t see it as a choice.
We’re talking almost 6 months away worst case scenario. I don’t think the players can be blamed for having reservations, if they fall under the above criteria, or something similar.

- having a pregnant partner.

Go back when she's about to drop, then stay back.

- having a family with no family support.

Club assistance.

- having someone in the family with a terminal illness.

Don't go.

- mental health.

Bullshit excuse.

- addiction.

Bullshit excuse.

- sick family member.

Bullshit excuse.

Might be Jed Anderson and Goldy who both have kids under two months old.
Ok, so I'll leave Jed to one side, not having heard any comment from him, but as I understand it (and I might be wrong, happy to be corrected) but Todd has expressed some concerns about the hubs, on account of his family life? That's the same Todd who needed a three year contract to secure the financial future of his family? But who now has concerns about what in any other code would be an 'away tour', because of the impact on his family, while 80-90% of the AFL industry have no income for their families?

Sorry, but - like the great toilet paper stampede - people have to get a grip; there may be no return to 'normal' and we have to do the best we can.

On the flip side, happy for any player not to attend the hubs, so long as they cancel their contracts - that might redefine 'mental health' for a few people

Ok, so I'll leave Jed to one side, not having heard any comment from him, but as I understand it (and I might be wrong, happy to be corrected) but Todd has expressed some concerns about the hubs, on account of his family life? That's the same Todd who needed a three year contract to secure the financial future of his family? But who now has concerns about what in any other code would be an 'away tour', because of the impact on his family, while 80-90% of the AFL industry have no income for their families?

Sorry, but - like the great toilet paper stampede - people have to get a grip; there may be no return to 'normal' and we have to do the best we can.

On the flip side, happy for any player not to attend the hubs, so long as they cancel their contracts - that might redefine 'mental health' for a few people

I'm not saying they both said or did anything, just pointing out they have new born children and might not be willing or really in a position to leave them alone for months on end.

Also ... Jed Anderson's dad died while Jed was trying to resuscitate him ... literally in his arms as a very young man. He might have different values about family v footy after that, he might think not missing that time with his brand new kid is more important. Not saying he does but I'd be okay with it if he did.

I'm not saying they both said or did anything, just pointing out they have new born children and might not be willing or really in a position to leave them alone for months on end.

Also ... Jed Anderson's dad died while Jed was trying to resuscitate him ... literally in his arms as a very young man. He might have different values about family v footy after that, he might think not missing that time with his brand new kid is more important. Not saying he does but I'd be okay with it if he did.
Of course, fair enough, people with family who are chronically ill or about to give birth shouldn't be going to hubs - but for the other 90-95% they can't fly in/fly out for 8 weeks? On 6 figure contracts?

Of course, fair enough, people with family who are chronically ill or about to give birth shouldn't be going to hubs - but for the other 90-95% they can't fly in/fly out for 8 weeks? On 6 figure contracts?

That depends.

Are these hubs even necessary or is it just more of this authoritarian lock down fetish everyone is into since 9/11?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This hubs s**t is just classic AFL wedge tactics.

When Demetriou ran the Players association he would never have fallen for something as transparent as this.

I love the blanket ultimatums some on here are issuing.

Every player has a unique personal circumstance, and every player will be able to respond on a sliding scale of compliance.

And unless everyone of you mother*ers know every circumstance (including mental illness you peanut Snake) then how about waiting until some details are released.

This site is becoming populated by self entitled flogs of the * order.

You my friend are now the runner! Get in the way and dish out shite😅
Hmm, I was hoping for more of a hands-on role, but ok. In my new role, advice and shite will be dished out in the form of haikus. It should help to unclutter the minds of our players, and get them playing more on instinct. Example:
“Pick up Dangerfield
In the tackle, heads meets grass
Create the fear of pain”

Jeez I hope Shawry’s game plan is simple, ‘cause it’s going to take a lot of time to think up haikus for all our in-game scenarios. I’m hoping i can rely on you good people to help out? Suggestions welcome.

Hmm, I was hoping for more of a hands-on role, but ok. In my new role, advice and shite will be dished out in the form of haikus. It should help to unclutter the minds of our players, and get them playing more on instinct. Example:
“Pick up Dangerfield
In the tackle, heads meets grass
Create the fear of pain”

Jeez I hope Shawry’s game plan is simple, ‘cause it’s going to take a lot of time to think up haikus for all our in-game scenarios. I’m hoping i can rely on you good people to help out? Suggestions welcome.
There are some haiku threads on this forum

I love the blanket ultimatums some on here are issuing.

Every player has a unique personal circumstance, and every player will be able to respond on a sliding scale of compliance.

And unless everyone of you motherf***ers know every circumstance (including mental illness you peanut Snake) then how about waiting until some details are released.

This site is becoming populated by self entitled flogs of the * order.
Well, I think the flaw in the argument is that it's not actually those of us who are asking the industry to do what's necessary to get things started again who are at the forefront of the debate; as you point out, there is a lack of detail, but that has not stopped all manner of senior figures - Nathan Buckley, Whateley etc etc - from saying what they will and won't do, and it's this that's infuriating people like me who are saying things are serious, there may never be a return to 'normality' and people need to put a collective shoulder to the wheel. Higher education earnt this country $37 billion last year (what will that be this year?) tourism $44 billion (ditto), coal export prices fell off a cliff in early March - we haven't even seen a fraction of the economic depression this is going to cause, and Nathan Buckley is worried about the mental health of highly paid footballers who are being asked to go into camp.

really?

Well, I think the flaw in the argument is that it's not actually those of us who are asking the industry to do what's necessary to get things started again who are at the forefront of the debate; as you point out, there is a lack of detail, but that has not stopped all manner of senior figures - Nathan Buckley, Whateley etc etc - from saying what they will and won't do, and it's this that's infuriating people like me who are saying things are serious, there may never be a return to 'normality' and people need to put a collective shoulder to the wheel. Higher education earnt this country $37 billion last year (what will that be this year?) tourism $44 billion (ditto), coal export prices fell off a cliff in early March - we haven't even seen a fraction of the economic depression this is going to cause, and Nathan Buckley is worried about the mental health of highly paid footballers who are being asked to go into camp.

really?
All those economic things you've mentioned are beyond his control. His players welfare is something he has some control over and some responsibility for so naturally he's gonna bang on about it.

really?
Another champion dictating from the sidelines with zero idea of what is actually going on.

really?

...well one thing you highlighted is what is going to be the long term economic mess of all of this come next year and beyond?

Another champion dictating from the sidelines with zero idea of what is actually going on.

As long as Nathan Buckley only offers opinions regarding the football industry, I have no issues whatsoever. It’s when these guys stray into the broader debate that I get my back up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back