Preview AFL Reboot 2020 - football to resume June 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the players pony up the costs of having families there (I'm sure Cricket Aus don't for players that take theirs on tour?) or have an opt in/out policy and they can stay home.

A season without media fawning over Richmond would be refreshing.

I just keep thinking of this article when I hear the idea of hubs:

Just some of the bullet points:

- At the 2000 Olympics, javelin competitor Breaux Greer had sex with three women every day. Two were Olympians -- a pole vaulter and a hurdler -- and the other was a vacationer of Scandinavian decent. He had to pull out of the competition with a knee injury.

- The organisers of the 2000 Olympics ordered 70,000 condoms. It was not enough. Now 100,000 are provided for every Olympics.

- At the end of the 2000 Games, the Australian team threw a bonfire and burned a bunch of furniture from the Village.

Ok SNAKE Jong un 👍

People have lost jobs and are in need of some lifting, an entire industry is struggling, and now pansy's want to bitch and whine because of something as trivial as this?

This is where journalists can actually earn their money for once, NAME THE PLAYERS! Confront them and ask them if they are refusing to play.

I'd place Dangerblonk at the head of the queue, the article states Richmond and Cotchin is massively pussywhipped, so get on the phones journo's and confront them. PUT THEM ON THE RECORD. There's people at our club, and at other clubs who have lost their jobs, so in comparison the players are being asked to make a relatively small sacrifice just to earn their pay. The spirits of the 4th Light Horse Brigade must be weeping at the sight of contemporary Australian manhood.

I'd be stunned if a single North player refused duty.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have lost jobs and are in need of some lifting, an entire industry is struggling, and now pansy's want to bitch and whine because of something as trivial as this?

This is where journalists can actually earn their money for once, NAME THE PLAYERS! Confront them and ask them if they are refusing to play.

I'd place Dangerblonk at the head of the queue, the article states Richmond and Cotchin is massively pussywhipped, so get on the phones journo's and confront them. PUT THEM ON THE RECORD. There's people at our club, and at other clubs who have lost their jobs, so in comparison the players are being asked to make a relatively small sacrifice just to earn their pay. The spirits of the 4th Light Horse Brigade must be weeping at the sight of contemporary Australian manhood.

I'd be stunned if a single North player refused duty.

Bingo.

Being asked to do what athletes of world sports do on a yearly basis.

Stay home with your family and forfeit your pay or HTFU.

Bingo.

Being asked to do what athletes of world sports do on a yearly basis.

Stay home with your family and forfeit your pay or HTFU.

This is the thing, they have all jumped on the front foot about pay cuts, and now this?!!!

Meanwhile, it's the battlers in the AFL industry who have taken the brunt of the pandemic without barely a murmur of complaint.

I want them named and shamed. Every single one of them.

With MCG, Marvel, Whitten Oval, I-con Park, Mars Stadium (North Ballarat), Kardinia Park all having the ability to host AFL matches, PLUS, ch7/Fox can tool up at these grounds quite quickly, Victoria is an obvious hub choice.

The other hubs would have to be Brisbane/GC & South Australia.

Not to mention that this is another golden P.R. opportunity sitting under the noses of the North media department. They are asleep at the wheel again.

Get Jack Ziebell glaring down the barrel of a camera declaring that the NMFC is ready for duty, any time, anywhere!!!

We'd be leading the news headlines tonight. Get cracking Heath.

They've long advocated for increased pay based on the ability to draw revenue for the league, they got it.

No-one would begrudge them for feeling unhappy about it, but first action is to threaten to stand down?

As far as I understand, they've already been paid beyond round 1, are they going to return any unused match payments if they choose to stand down?

Sorry to break NMFC rank, but I can understand players being upset about not being with their families for 20+ weeks.

Yes some athletes in other sports do it but it's not the norm and while it's easy enough for a 19yo with no encumbrances to see it as a holiday camp, the 30yo hands on dad with a brood of demanding sprogs is going to leave a fair bit to their other half to manage one out for half a year, let alone missing them on top of that.

I'll see myself out the powderpuff door.

Sorry to break NMFC rank, but I can understand players being upset about not being with their families for 20+ weeks.

Yes some athletes in other sports do it but it's not the norm and while it's easy enough for a 19yo with no encumbrances to see it as a holiday camp, the 30yo hands on dad with a brood of demanding sprogs is going to leave a fair bit to their other half to manage one out for half a year, let alone missing them on top of that.

I'll see myself out the powderpuff door.
They've had weeks to get used to the idea, and more weeks now to start planning for it. Clubs or the AFL will no doubt put in place additional support for families, be it in support for their mental health, or to help with baby-sitting, etc.

They work in a very tenuous industry where your career could be over at any time. Our draftees - 18 year old kids - used to be in Utah a week after they were drafted, some of those kids have to move interstate with literally a week's notice. It's part of the deal.

It's not going to be easy, no-one is saying that, but everyone else is dealing with exceptional circumstances, and for footballers to crack the shits is disappointing.

Look, it's once. This will never happen again. One disrupted year in your life. Make it happen, Euge.

Personally I'm finding it hard to get excited about this whole hub thing. Footy with no atmosphere just sucks and blows.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
True, but it's still better than no footy at all

True, but it's still better than no footy at all
I'll be watching the North games and to be honest in the 2nd half in rd 1, I barely noticed there was no crowd.

The neutral games were just cold. I found them unwatchable.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I just keep thinking of this article when I hear the idea of hubs:

- The organisers of the 2000 Olympics ordered 70,000 condoms. It was not enough. Now 100,000 are provided for every Olympics.
This is 2nd hand info from someone who volunteered at Sydney 2000 Village. He told me the 70k condoms were gone VERY quickly, and were very popular with the Cuban team. Also said that a lot were being taken home by athletes, along with any other items they could stash in their luggage. That said, he mentioned that you wouldn't want to clean the bins out of the athletes rooms....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back