AFL refuses to listen to the AFLW players

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The survey to the players for the result was.

Option 1 - No finals and a team declared premiers

Option 2 - Top teams From each conference play in a grand final

Option 3 - Top 4 teams play finals

Option 4 - Continue with the final 6

But the AFLPA recommendation for a 8 team finals.

Last edited:

The survey to the players for the result was.

Option 1 - No finals and a team declared premiers

Option 2 - Top teams From each conference play in a grand final

Option 3 - Top 4 teams play finals

Option 4 - Continue with the final 6

But the AFLPA recommendation for a 8 team finals.
So only option 2 would have seen a result this year

but issue is no other players other than north and freo ones would have voted for that

shouldn’t have even been a vote

It was obvious there wasn’t long left and the grand final between north and freo should have been played instead of the stupidity of an 8 team final

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Right decision by the AFL. Ultimately only six games of an eight game season were played, making it even more highly compromised than what it already was. North still had a game against 3rd placed Brisbane in Brisbane and Freo still had to play a third-placed Melbourne at home and a second placed Carlton away.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Right decision by the AFL. Ultimately only six games of an eight game season were played, making it even more highly compromised than what it already was. North still had a game against 3rd placed Brisbane in Brisbane and Freo still had to play a third-placed Melbourne at home and a second placed Carlton away.
Two issues.

First being AFLPA recommendation wasn’t an option on their survey. The Union should be democratic.

Second that their wasn’t enough time to stuff around with the best ideal option.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Two issues.

First being AFLPA recommendation wasn’t an option on their survey. The Union should be democratic.

Second that their wasn’t enough time to stuff around with the best ideal option.
I’m it seeing how the union was not democratic. I may have missed something but you have not provided any detail.

And then I see the best option as being taken i.e. season cancelled and no premiership awarded because it was too compromised.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m it seeing how the union was not democratic. I may have missed something but you have not provided any detail.

And then I see the best option as being taken i.e. season cancelled and no premiership awarded because it was too compromised.
They recommend something which wasn’t on the survey.

4 options on the survey but they went with option 5.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
They recommend something which wasn’t on the survey.

4 options on the survey but they went with option 5.
I’m still not seeing it.

Who ran the survey?
When was it conducted?
What were the results?
Who was polled?

You’re very vague in your details.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I think knowing when the survey was conducted is pretty important. Was it conducted at the end of round 6 but before the finals had started, after the finals had started or at some other point in time?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think knowing when the survey was conducted is pretty important. Was it conducted at the end of round 6 but before the finals had started, after the finals had started or at some other point in time?
The AFL ended the regular season after round 6 then they asked the AFLPA what players wanted the finals format to be.

AFLPA surveyed the players with four options.

AFLPA recommendation wasn’t an option on the survey.

AFL accepted the recommendation as they should.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL ended the regular season after round 6 then they asked the AFLPA what players wanted the finals format to be.

AFLPA surveyed the players with four options.

AFLPA recommendation wasn’t an option on the survey.

AFL accepted the recommendation as they should.
So your point is that the AFL didn’t include a particular option is survey, and then the AFLPA sort of said hey there’s a fifth option (8 team finals series), and that’s what the AFL ran with until it became unfeasible due to everything shutting down because of Coronavirus. So what is your point- that the AFL didn’t put enough options on the poll? Should they have also put a ten team finals series as an option, a lightning premiership option, an AFLWX premiership option,...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL listened to players and that is why we don't have a Premier in 2020.

The AFL should have realised that the goalposts were moving at such a rapid pace that a one week finals series was the only option and played a Grand Final between Fremantle and North Melbourne.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back