Preview AFL Returns - Round 2: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Giants Stadium - changes/prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just reading the afl site how tigers contemplating a pinch hitting midfielder type as the relief ruckman again.
I wouldnt be against keeping larky and brown perm forward and using zurhaar in that role as pinch hit ruck for periods. Would be good to have him at ground level.

Although we have Daw whos the perfect 2nd ruck. Not many in the league who are ruck/backmen.

Just reading the afl site how tigers contemplating a pinch hitting midfielder type as the relief ruckman again.
I wouldnt be against keeping larky and brown perm forward and using zurhaar in that role as pinch hit ruck for periods. Would be good to have him at ground level.

Although we have Daw whos the perfect 2nd ruck. Not many in the league who are ruck/backmen.
Check out the Bonar thread.

Is Lachlan Hosie any chance of playing this year? 30 scoring shots in the VFL last year from just 10 games is a very good output.

This year? Which Hawthorn player ISN'T a chance of playing this year?

Lachlan doesn't have a season ending injury AFAIK, so yes, he is a "chance" of playing this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't seem in favour during the latter preseason and wasn't in the frame for Round 1. Anything is possible though.

Yep. They have picked kids ahead of him, and I don't see anyone complaining about Curtis Taylor's selection.

Just the one change for mine, being Durdin in for Murphy. We managed with being a KPD short against St Kilda, but don't think we can afford it against GWS. Durdin is clearly ahead of McKay and was also solid enough last year. And we need to keep giving these guys more games to see what they've really got. Jasper could probably play 3rd tall, but I'd play Jasper on Greene and try to make Greene chase tail going the other way. Would go with:

B: McDonald - Tarrant - Atley
HB: Durdin - Walker - Pittard
C: Polec - Higgins - Dumont
HF: Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
F: Ziebell - Brown - Thomas
Foll: Goldstein - Simpkin - Cunnington
Int: Hall - Anderson - Macmillan - Ahern
Emerg: Murphy - Tyson - Bonar - Xerri

Was tossing up between Ahern, Murphy, Tyson and Bonar for that last spot on the bench. Decided to go with an extra midfielder against GWS, but decided to go with Ahern as he also can go back if needed. Have more than enough that can rotate forward.

Just the one change for mine, being Durdin in for Murphy. We managed with being a KPD short against St Kilda, but don't think we can afford it against GWS. Durdin is clearly ahead of McKay and was also solid enough last year. And we need to keep giving these guys more games to see what they've really got. Jasper could probably play 3rd tall, but I'd play Jasper on Greene and try to make Greene chase tail going the other way. Would go with:

B: McDonald - Tarrant - Atley
HB: Durdin - Walker - Pittard
C: Polec - Higgins - Dumont
HF: Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
F: Ziebell - Brown - Thomas
Foll: Goldstein - Simpkin - Cunnington
Int: Hall - Anderson - Macmillan - Ahern
Emerg: Murphy - Tyson - Bonar - Xerri

Was tossing up between Ahern, Murphy, Tyson and Bonar for that last spot on the bench. Decided to go with an extra midfielder against GWS, but decided to go with Ahern as he also can go back if needed. Have more than enough that can rotate forward.
best team available :thumbsu:

best team available :thumbsu:

It's pretty good, but I question an inflexible 3rd tall defender like Durds vs GWS, with Tazz & Walker already in the side and Jasper's ability to play on tweeners.

It's pretty good, but I question an inflexible 3rd tall defender like Durds vs GWS, with Tazz & Walker already in the side and Jasper's ability to play on tweeners.
It is a concern and one of the reasons I would choose Ahern over say Tyson. But I’m also concerned about who we play on Greene. Who would you go with?

Be worried about Aherns hammy too. Prefer a Bonar..

He's not in rehab, so I assume he's fit, however he's in line for demotion if a change is being made.

Was pretty much ineffective in the first half v Stkilda, as he tends to be when the opposition control the ball. ATM, he offers little defensively.

As for Sam, I just do see a good match up for him. The GWS forwards are mobile types, and Durdfs doesn't exactly scream rebound damage if he's drawn up the ground and wins possession. IMO, he's very much a stay home in the backline negator type. If Maj is deemed fit, I would go with him instead, and even McKay offers us a marking target who can swing forward.

On a tangent, Durds is indicative of the lost years of drafting - 2010-15.

Excepting 2013 - McDonald, Dumont, Brown, Turner - the other years combined have yielded Shaun Atley and no other regularly available best 22 player.

Putting it another way - if you were filling out a 2021 Round 1 side using the 10 combined national and rookie drafts during those years (excluding 2013 as mentioned) - you'd have one name. One.

We're going to have a hell of a list gap in the 25-30 yo region very soon.

This is where Anderson and Polec become critical and a guy like Ahern needs to stand up and be counted. Even then we'll need to look at filling out some list demographics with carefully targeted free agents and trades, NB - not big cash raids.

Edit: Overlooked Josh Walker and to a lesser extent (because of rookie status) Tom Campbell who also help shore up the gap between the Over 30 and Under 22 groups.

Last edited:
To me none of the GWS forwards are powerful marking types, if anything Greene is probably the best mark, the others are more lead up mobile forwards. I'd be fine with Pittard on Finlayson with Taz and Walker covering Cameron and Himmelberg. Think McDonald could be a good match up for Greene and then I'd go for more running power rather than an extra tall. I can't remember the last time I watched a North game and thought we were beaten in the air whereas we're regularly towelled up at ground level or on the spread.

To me none of the GWS forwards are powerful marking types, if anything Greene is probably the best mark, the others are more lead up mobile forwards. I'd be fine with Pittard on Finlayson with Taz and Walker covering Cameron and Himmelberg. Think McDonald could be a good match up for Greene and then I'd go for more running power rather than an extra tall. I can't remember the last time I watched a North game and thought we were beaten in the air whereas we're regularly towelled up at ground level or on the spread.

Yep 100% agree. Deff don't wanna go too tall vs giants. Happy to get the extra mid in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back