Preview AFL Returns - Round 2: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Giants Stadium - changes/prematch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the vast majority of supporters do not completely disagree with the notion that JMac may not be part of our best 22. What most do disagree with is the notion that JMac is some form of imposter who has no right to be playing AFL at the top level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldn’t go as far as imposter
And not as lenient as might not be best 22 as you say

macmillan id describe as an average fringe player and not best 22 simple as that

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Name one player that couldn’t get a game at North and went on to be a consistent best 22 player somewhere else?
How far back do you want to go?
Leigh Brown. Spent most of 08 in the reserves. Premiership player 2 years later.
Cam Mooney. Named emergency a dozen times in 99.
Tim McGrath.
Liam Pickering
Libba..

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How far back do you want to go?
Leigh Brown. Spent most of 08 in the reserves. Premiership player 2 years later.
Cam Mooney. Named emergency a dozen times in 99.
Tim McGrath.
Liam Pickering
Libba..

I’m talking currently. The only one would be Greenwood but he didn’t leave because he wasn’t getting a game. I’m referring to players outside best 22.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Personal preference. Jed and Ziebell are on par in tight. Ziebell is better resting forward. But Jed has much better game awareness in general. He sees the “next phase” and is proactive. Whilst Ziebell is just always in the “now” which is why he hacks the ball forward so much.

I think Ziebell still has an important role in the team but midfield time should be limited, especially with Jed in the team who can match his hardness but more effective in there.

They're not competing for a spot mate.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least Daw will not be bothering, the game has gone past Garner, Daw, Jacobs, EVW. You will find top players don't miss many games. Michael Jordan missed 7 games in 7 years between 1991 and 1998.........Also our training regime must also be looked at, are we developing resilience in the players....

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least Daw will not be bothering, the game has gone past Garner, Daw, Jacobs, EVW. You will find top players don't miss many games. Michael Jordan missed 7 games in 7 years between 1991 and 1998.........Also our training regime must also be looked at, are we developing resilience in the players....
Yikes. Just yikes.

Given today's news i'd go for round 2:

B: McDonald - Taz - MacMillan
HB: Atley - Walker - Pittard
C: Dumont - Anderson - Polec
HF: Higgins - Larkey/Xerri - Thomas
F: Ziebell - Brown - Taylor
R: Goldstein - Cunnington - Simpkin

Int: Murphey - Ahern - Zuhaar - Hall

Pretty much unchanged. Xerri comes in for Larkey if he's injured.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Robbie Tarrant managed 39 games in his first 7 years and barely made the field at any level in his first 3.

Why do you insist on posting things that are this egregiously wrong? I am vicariously embarrassed for you.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

You’re a teacher right ?

When’s school back

Surely wood for Larkey. Need experience and Wood could quite conceivablely kick 3 or 4 goals.
I suggested Xerri because he would be able to give Goldy a chop out in the ruck if it was needed, and he's been very impressive over this off season.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maj wasn’t in the Rd 1 Team and from all reports wasn’t setting the world fire anyway, which is perfectly understandable with what he’s been through.

Josh Walker, Ben McKay and Sam Durdin - one of you please just have a good month and we are fine. Walker to get first crack.

B: McDonald - Tarrant - MacMillan
HB: Atley - JWalker - Pittard
C: Hall - Anderson - Polec
HF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Thomas
F: Cunnington - Brown - Taylor
R: Goldstein - Higgins - Simpkin

Int: WWalker - Ahern - Ziebell - Wood

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suggested Xerri because he would be able to give Goldy a chop out in the ruck if it was needed, and he's been very impressive over this off season.

Both good points. But I think we need a proven, all be it inconsistent forward in Wood. Debuting xerri against a gun team with a host of youngsters already is pretty risky.

Also re Wood, I’d like to see him play with his career on the line and see how he goes. The lack of another ruck is a worry though.

Who do the giants use after sauce? Finlayson?

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maj wasn’t in the Rd 1 Team and from all reports wasn’t setting the world fire anyway, which is perfectly understandable with what he’s been through.

Josh Walker, Ben McKay and Sam Durdin - one of you please just have a good month and we are fine. Walker to get first crack.

B: McDonald - Tarrant - MacMillan
HB: Atley - JWalker - Pittard
C: Hall - Anderson - Polec
HF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Thomas
F: Cunnington - Brown - Taylor
R: Goldstein - Higgins - Simpkin

Int: WWalker - Ahern - Ziebell - Wood
Weird to drop froggy for will walker.

Both good points. But I think we need a proven, all be it inconsistent forward in Wood. Debuting xerri against a gun team with a host of youngsters already is pretty risky.

Also re Wood, I’d like to see him play with his career on the line and see how he goes. The lack of another ruck is a worry though.

Who do the giants use after sauce? Finlayson?
I'm not against Wood getting another crack, but i'd be wary of who helps Goldy out in the ruck if he needed a rest. Mabye Browny, but i'd rather keep him leading up from the goalsquare.

Footywizard

All Australian
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 2 for me

MCDONALD TARRANT PITTARD
MACMILLAN WALKER ATLEY
HALL CUNNINGTON POLEC
THOMAS LARKY TAYLOR
ZIEBELL BROWN ZURHAAR

GOLDSTEIN HIGGINS SIMPKIN

BONAR DUMONT AHERN ANDERSON

Emergency

WOOD DURDIN TYSON MURPHY

Pittard to play on the giants 3rd tall.
We were undersized in rd 1 and down walker early and handled the saints forwards pretty well who had size on us.
Thoughts lads?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Round 2 for me

MCDONALD TARRANT PITTARD
MACMILLAN WALKER ATLEY
HALL CUNNINGTON POLEC
THOMAS LARKY TAYLOR
ZIEBELL BROWN ZURHAAR

GOLDSTEIN HIGGINS SIMPKIN

BONAR DUMONT AHERN ANDERSON

Emergency

WOOD DURDIN TYSON MURPHY

Pittard to play on the giants 3rd tall.
We were undersized in rd 1 and down walker early and handled the saints forwards pretty well who had size on us.
Thoughts lads?

It’s about how it’ll look I reckon. Although I suspect Murphy will stay as the defensive rotation and one of Bonar or Ahern gets the arse.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s about how it’ll look I reckon. Although I suspect Murphy will stay as the defensive rotation and one of Bonar or Ahern gets the arse.

I think Ahern is safe at the moment Rhyce appears to be putting abit of time in him which is good if he can produce.... having said that I'd also like Bonar in too... does that mean too many midfielders probably but four of them have double strings ie cunners hall and Bonar can all do stint forward and ahern hb... who out then.....?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back