News AFL reviewing northern and multicultural academies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungalow_bill

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Players such as Chris Johnson's kid and Charlie Cameron's bro being tied to an NGA is not what they were established for. Tighten up the eligibility rules and there won't be any issues

Spursfan

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Just as soon as there's a national under 18s comp.
The grand final is shared.
3rd party deals have a cap.

Thoughts on father son? Since you want an open draft.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Not a popular opinion I know, but I'd get rid of father son too

I'm sympathetic to the QLD/NSW teams and their need for their academies, but these NGAs either tighten the rules or get rid of them

Last edited:

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Not a popular opinion I know, but I'd get rid of father son too
I'd actually keep it. It's a nice traditional aspect and one I look forward to for my club.

I just use that as an example to those complaining about academies and pure drafts.

I'm all for ending the academies but there must be a club system ready to go that allows the development of our kids to the same level.

As such the only way I see it other than how they are at the moment is a national under 18s.

Spursfan

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I'd actually keep it. It's a nice traditional aspect and one I look forward to for my club.

I just use that as an example to those complaining about academies and pure drafts.

I'm all for ending the academies but there must be a club system ready to go that allows the development of our kids to the same level.

As such the only way I see it other than how they are at the moment is a national under 18s.

Yes agreed a national under 18 comp makes sense, the amount of money they waste on AFLX, playing in China etc surely they could set this up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Thread starter #12

You need more than just a National U18’s in QLD & NSW.

You need to get the kids to that level, and that starts at U11/U12 through U18.

That’s where the academies fill the function of under age clubs in Vic. Otherwise most talented kids in the northern states won’t play at a high enough level to maximise their talent and growth in the game.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
You need more than just a National U18’s in QLD & NSW.

You need to get the kids to that level, and that starts at U11/U12 through U18.

That’s where the academies fill the function of under age clubs in Vic. Otherwise most talented kids in the northern states won’t play at a high enough level to maximise their talent and growth in the game.
Absolutely.

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
A national U18s league isn't the answer - you can't keep the league at a manageable size and capture enough kids from big states, nor can you ask kids doing year 11-12 to travel interstate all season. The U18 Champs works because it's representative teams in school holidays, backed up by state U18 leagues the rest of the year.

Expansion states need to get to the point that they can stage their own U18 leagues, and use these to feed into the rep teams as the traditional states do, and once that's viable the Academies will have done their job.

Tasmania is a special case given its population and location, so being part of the Victorian competition long-term makes sense.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
A national U18s league isn't the answer - you can't keep the league at a manageable size and capture enough kids from big states, nor can you ask kids doing year 11-12 to travel interstate all season. The U18 Champs works because it's representative teams in school holidays, backed up by state U18 leagues the rest of the year.

Expansion states need to get to the point that they can stage their own U18 leagues, and use these to feed into the rep teams as the traditional states do, and once that's viable the Academies will have done their job.

Tasmania is a special case given its population and location, so being part of the Victorian competition long-term makes sense.
This is a great answer. No professional sporting body will facilitate a weekly National comp. Not sure how many people understand what flying from Perth to melbourne does to your day. It basically wipes it out - even if you take a 6am flight (which means you are waking up at 3:30am ish for the city folk, goodness knows what happens if there is country kid in the team), you don't arrive in Melbourne until midday. Losing 2 hours doesn't help. You couldn't play that day. So it becomes a three day trip each week they have to travel. The same travel issues AFL players have will always be there except they will be problem for 16 and 17 year old kids who still have to get up on a Monday morning for school.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS

Cool. Then we can keep academies as is then.

Zurgblade

Senior List
AFL Club
West Coast
Legitimately have to wonder, how many true NGA prospects will the academies develop? I cant speak for the Eastern States NGA's but the WA clubs don't run nearly enough training to develop players into potential draftee's. Most of their development would come from alignment to State Colts.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
If like Shane Tuck they just dont want to?
Nah, he wanted to...He wanted to play for anyone, and anyone could have got him quite easily. Hawthorn did, then didn't want him...The drafted him (rookie list actually), then dropped him after a few years. He played a year of SANFL before Richmond got him with pick 73 (and supposedly they almost dropped him too...). His 'breakout season' was at 23 years of age.

Not bad for a guy who ended up playing

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Nah, he wanted to...He wanted to play for anyone, and anyone could have got him quite easily. Hawthorn did, then didn't want him...The drafted him (rookie list actually), then dropped him after a few years. He played a year of SANFL before Richmond got him with pick 73 (and supposedly they almost dropped him too...). His 'breakout season' was at 23 years of age.

Not bad for a guy who ended up playing
I must have the wrong Tuck.

philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
Players such as Chris Johnson's kid and Charlie Cameron's bro being tied to an NGA is not what they were established for. Tighten up the eligibility rules and there won't be any issues
There is a son of a port Adelaide 4 time premiership captain with 270 odd games at the club who is tied to the Adelaide crows nga.

You couldn’t make this shit up.

Top Bottom