briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
AFL reviewing the way that academies work, how players are tied to clubs and the price that clubs pay to draft them.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-multicultural-academies-20190228-p510zv.html
The review - which AFL sources said would be "open-ended" - follows concern about how players have been tied to clubs, such as Collingwood gaining Isaac Quaynor and North's access to Tasmanian Tarryn Thomas, when those NGA recruits and others were already highly-accomplished youngsters in the elite squads and touted as certain AFL players when they were allocated via zones.

Aside from eligibility, the other main concern raised about the northern and multicultural and Indigenous academies has been the price that clubs have paid for high-value recruits, such as Sydney's Nick Blakey, Quaynor and Thomas - all of whom attracted bids within the first round of the draft, but whose clubs still traded out their first pick. In Sydney's case, they traded a decent draft pick out and received one back from the same club, West Coast, after Blakey had been snared at a bargain price. The review will ask clubs about whether there is a better or fairer system for the drafting of academy players. They receive a 20 percent discount on academy players at the draft under the points system.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-multicultural-academies-20190228-p510zv.html

mod edit: please always include a quote and comment about the article, don't dump links without context.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Just as soon as there's a national under 18s comp.
The grand final is shared.
3rd party deals have a cap.

Thoughts on father son? Since you want an open draft.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not a popular opinion I know, but I'd get rid of father son too

I'm sympathetic to the QLD/NSW teams and their need for their academies, but these NGAs either tighten the rules or get rid of them

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not a popular opinion I know, but I'd get rid of father son too
I'd actually keep it. It's a nice traditional aspect and one I look forward to for my club.

I just use that as an example to those complaining about academies and pure drafts.

I'm all for ending the academies but there must be a club system ready to go that allows the development of our kids to the same level.

As such the only way I see it other than how they are at the moment is a national under 18s.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I'd actually keep it. It's a nice traditional aspect and one I look forward to for my club.

I just use that as an example to those complaining about academies and pure drafts.

I'm all for ending the academies but there must be a club system ready to go that allows the development of our kids to the same level.

As such the only way I see it other than how they are at the moment is a national under 18s.

Yes agreed a national under 18 comp makes sense, the amount of money they waste on AFLX, playing in China etc surely they could set this up.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

You need more than just a National U18’s in QLD & NSW.

You need to get the kids to that level, and that starts at U11/U12 through U18.

That’s where the academies fill the function of under age clubs in Vic. Otherwise most talented kids in the northern states won’t play at a high enough level to maximise their talent and growth in the game.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You need more than just a National U18’s in QLD & NSW.

You need to get the kids to that level, and that starts at U11/U12 through U18.

That’s where the academies fill the function of under age clubs in Vic. Otherwise most talented kids in the northern states won’t play at a high enough level to maximise their talent and growth in the game.
Absolutely.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
A national U18s league isn't the answer - you can't keep the league at a manageable size and capture enough kids from big states, nor can you ask kids doing year 11-12 to travel interstate all season. The U18 Champs works because it's representative teams in school holidays, backed up by state U18 leagues the rest of the year.

Expansion states need to get to the point that they can stage their own U18 leagues, and use these to feed into the rep teams as the traditional states do, and once that's viable the Academies will have done their job.

Tasmania is a special case given its population and location, so being part of the Victorian competition long-term makes sense.

Last edited:

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
A national U18s league isn't the answer - you can't keep the league at a manageable size and capture enough kids from big states, nor can you ask kids doing year 11-12 to travel interstate all season. The U18 Champs works because it's representative teams in school holidays, backed up by state U18 leagues the rest of the year.

Expansion states need to get to the point that they can stage their own U18 leagues, and use these to feed into the rep teams as the traditional states do, and once that's viable the Academies will have done their job.

Tasmania is a special case given its population and location, so being part of the Victorian competition long-term makes sense.
This is a great answer. No professional sporting body will facilitate a weekly National comp. Not sure how many people understand what flying from Perth to melbourne does to your day. It basically wipes it out - even if you take a 6am flight (which means you are waking up at 3:30am ish for the city folk, goodness knows what happens if there is country kid in the team), you don't arrive in Melbourne until midday. Losing 2 hours doesn't help. You couldn't play that day. So it becomes a three day trip each week they have to travel. The same travel issues AFL players have will always be there except they will be problem for 16 and 17 year old kids who still have to get up on a Monday morning for school.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Cool. Then we can keep academies as is then.

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Legitimately have to wonder, how many true NGA prospects will the academies develop? I cant speak for the Eastern States NGA's but the WA clubs don't run nearly enough training to develop players into potential draftee's. Most of their development would come from alignment to State Colts.

If like Shane Tuck they just dont want to?

Nah, he wanted to...He wanted to play for anyone, and anyone could have got him quite easily. Hawthorn did, then didn't want him...The drafted him (rookie list actually), then dropped him after a few years. He played a year of SANFL before Richmond got him with pick 73 (and supposedly they almost dropped him too...). His 'breakout season' was at 23 years of age.

Not bad for a guy who ended up playing

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Nah, he wanted to...He wanted to play for anyone, and anyone could have got him quite easily. Hawthorn did, then didn't want him...The drafted him (rookie list actually), then dropped him after a few years. He played a year of SANFL before Richmond got him with pick 73 (and supposedly they almost dropped him too...). His 'breakout season' was at 23 years of age.

Not bad for a guy who ended up playing
I must have the wrong Tuck.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players such as Chris Johnson's kid and Charlie Cameron's bro being tied to an NGA is not what they were established for. Tighten up the eligibility rules and there won't be any issues

There is a son of a port Adelaide 4 time premiership captain with 270 odd games at the club who is tied to the Adelaide crows nga.

You couldn’t make this s**t up.

Back