Game Day AFL Round 1 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Hawthorn(MCG – 7:25PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, football is back after a long six months. Collingwood and Hawthorn will square off at the MCG for what should be a great game with both teams looking to set the tone for a better season than 2017. Both Collingwood and Hawthorn showed flashes of brilliance in 2017, but this was also overshadowed by some real poor football which ended up costing both teams a place in the finals. Both teams are looking to move back up the ladder in 2018.

Collingwood

Collingwood had an iffy AFLX and JLT series. Their poor kicking was on show during AFLX, and an absolutely dismal performance against GWS in the first JLT game caused significant concern for the Collingwood fans. However, a strong showing against the Bulldogs (although poor kicking for goal still showed), helped alleviate some nerves around the Collingwood fan base. As has been through the entire tenure of Nathan Buckley’s coaching career at Collingwood, injuries are playing a significant factor in shaping the team for Saturday night. Injuries to players such as Wells, Elliott, Greenwood and, Goldsack has really forced Collingwood to blood some of the younger players into the side.

The man to watch on Saturday will be Sam Murray. Murray was brought in via trade for Sydney, and it’s fair to say that not too many Collingwood fans were pleased about spending a second-round draft pick on an unproved prospect. But if his JLT performance is anything to go by, Collingwood fans may be pleasantly surprised by how this backmen plays. Collingwood’s first draft pick in Jaidyn Stephenson also makes his debut, with many at Collingwood excited about this young player.

Hawthorn

After many years of excellence, Hawthorn plummeted back to earth in 2017 with teams routinely handing Hawthorn a beatdown in the early games. However, as the season progressed, the Hawks progressed into becoming a decent team, even pushing for a finals spot late in the season. However, the hole they dug themselves in was too great, and they ultimately missed the finals for the first time since 2009. The Hawks have re-tooled in the off-season, bringing recruits such as Jarman Impey. Hawthorn failed to win either of there JLT games, however they were not blown out. They lost to the Blues in a tight tussle and were handled by the Bulldogs. However, the Hawks never looked overly poor in either their outings, and a few tweaks should lead to them being ready to go against Collingwood.

For years, the Hawks had dominated Collingwood. Easily beating them on each occasion. However, a remarkable win last season stopped the Hawks dominance over the Magpies. It seems both teams are quite even.

The man to watch for the Hawks this week would be Jaeger O’Meara. O’Meara went through a frustrating 2017 cruelled by injuries and poor form. However, towards the back end of the 2017 season, he managed to put together some consistent football with flashes of brilliance that Hawthorn fans are hoping to see more of.

Match Center

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/1/haw-v-coll

Head to Head Odds

Collingwood: $2.00

Hawthorn: $1.82

TV

Live on Channel 7, except QLD

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

ABC
3AW
MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass

Foxtel Now

WatchAFL

Tip

While Collingwood did look good at times in the JLT, especially in their last outing, the Hawks are simply too good for the wounded Magpies.

Hawthorn by 25

But that the Team they been in the Past
They may not be the team of the past, but still a dangerous team on any night.
We are yet to prove we are a very good team.
Hope l am wrong.

Pies to kick 6.15
Hawks to kick 15.6

Bucks to say poor kicking is poor football, that we got nutted in the clearances, and that there's plenty to work on.

Supporters to vote with their ATM cards as 2000 potential members keep their hands out of their wallets. They'll also vote with their feet and abandon the G at 3 qtr time.

Eddie to be spruiking at 6am Monday on Triple M that a much better performance will come in Round 2. It won't.

Ive been to so many Collingwood games, almost never miss but I'm really nervous about this game.

I'm so sick of the negative stench around the club and the half empty stands.
I'm jealous of Richmond and tonight's crowd Essendon had the stadium vibrating.

I just wanna win. I don't want anymore honorable losses or excuses about injuries.
I want to win and that makes me anxious cos I'm not sure we will. .. but hoping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive been to so many Collingwood games, almost never miss but I'm really nervous about this game.

I'm so sick of the negative stench around the club and the half empty stands.
I'm jealous of Richmond and tonight's crowd Essendon had the stadium vibrating.

I just wanna win. I don't want anymore honorable losses or excuses about injuries.
I want to win and that makes me anxious cos I'm not sure we will. .. but hoping.
I think a lot of us are uneasy and have our doubts.
There seem to have been some clear directional changes within the club's leadership, at least
However, though I hope I'm completely misreading it, I'm expecting an uneven season with skill shortages exposed again.

Hawks from a few years ago would smash us but this is 2018 and the Hawks are on a decline. We on the other hand are on the incline. Let’s be polite and wave as we go past.

Looking forward to seeing the G again after many months (I dont go to the cricket). I just love the place.

But I'm wary of the game. We dont have forwards, and we cant kick goals.:(

Last edited:
JB is so excited that he needs to break off and start talking about himself in the third person. JB is really, really looking forward to tonight's game!

A few elements are especially interesting:
- The addition of Murray and his luxuriant hair will be good to watch. Looking forward to some solid counterattacks.
- Aish: a nowhere man who seems rather more determined to find a place in football.
- Foward line functionality...dare to dream.

Pies by 10 points.

We’ll win by 5 to 8 goals.

A new year brings optimism.

Unsure why people mentally prepare themselves for doom and gloom?

If you think like a loser you’re half way there.

Lucky the players don’t buy into the nonsense and steer well clear of the Internet forums and just focus on what th have to do.

That’s the theory anyway.

We win and beat doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back