AFL - Round 1 - Other Game Discussion

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I suspect I know the answer, given your Dangerfields and T.Mitchell's etc, but is anyone going to say anything about Sam Walsh's disposal? I get that the numbers he pulls are impressive for a young player, but geez he burns a lot of them.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Pandemic or no pandemic. All the hype leading up to round 1, and I'm bored before half time of the first game. This fixture sucks.
It honestly should have been changed back when Richmond were awful and Carlton were mediocre. The argument is obviously about them being two big drawing teams, but I'm pretty sure you could get the same with a combination of a lot of Melb based teams.

Hilarious that when J.Martin took that mark outside 50, the call was "is there time for a late goal for Carlton" ... Martin chipped it to Murphy who passed off the responsibility of kicking the goal to a defender who sprayed it, and then Richmond went on to kick another 2 goals.

Halfway through round one vs the Premiers

I just want a player, any player to show some heart, show something. Seriously piss poor of a football club

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Pandemic or no pandemic. All the hype leading up to round 1, and I'm bored before half time of the first game. This fixture sucks.
I am every year. You look forward to round one, open beers, get pumped. Then I lose all interest halfway into the second quarter. Short quarters but that game still seemed to go forever

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I suspect I know the answer, given your Dangerfields and T.Mitchell's etc, but is anyone going to say anything about Sam Walsh's disposal? I get that the numbers he pulls are impressive for a young player, but geez he burns a lot of them.
A big problem going forward for the Blues is Walsh and Dow's ball use. Both top end picks and both really unreliable by foot.

As for Martin. Great game. However he is extremely inconsistent. For what he's getting paid, he needs to deliver that every week. He won't..

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am every year. You look forward to round one, open beers, get pumped. Then I lose all interest halfway into the second quarter. Short quarters but that game still seemed to go forever
Yep. It's cliche, and it probably won't change, but I'm completely bored with the whole Carlton opening the season crap every year. They are rubbish and have been for years and years. Mix it up for christ sake! Would have much rathered tomorrow night's game open the season than watching Carlton!!!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He's disposal is horrible lol, people think he's the next Judd but he's genuinely one of the worst users going. Pretty sad state of the game when the number 1 draft kick sucks at actually using the footy but that's current AFL

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Someone might have mentioned this but I think they should pump in noise and images from wherever the two fan bases congregate - well at least noise. For example the London in melbourne. Would be funny

Then again maybe the pubs are shut I don’t know

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Well, I muted all my AFL follows on twitter so I wouldn’t have the result ruined for me when I got up this morning, but when I clicked the link in my streaming app to watch the game, instead of asking if I wanted to watch from the beginning like it usually does it just dropped me right into the post game handshakes with the score prominently displayed. I just have a hard time watching once i know the outcome.

Luckily, sounds like the game was pretty s**t anyway. I’m hoping I don’t have the same issue tomorrow with the dogs/pies.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well, I muted all my AFL follows on twitter so I wouldn’t have the result ruined for me when I got up this morning, but when I clicked the link in my streaming app to watch the game, instead of asking if I wanted to watch from the beginning like it usually does it just dropped me right into the post game handshakes with the score prominently displayed. I just have a hard time watching once i know the outcome.

Luckily, sounds like the game was pretty s**t anyway. I’m hoping I don’t have the same issue tomorrow with the dogs/pies.
I always hold my hand up over the corner of the screen just in case that happens lol. I find if you cast it from a laptop you won't have that issue.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I always hold my hand up over the corner of the screen just in case that happens lol. I find if you cast it from a laptop you won't have that issue.

Good tips. I definitely need to shake off the off-season rust and get my act together.

I don't think the lack of crowd phases me it was more the dull contest will be interesting to see with a closer match or the Dees game which I'm invested in. It is what it is and footy with no crowd is better than no footy at all imo.
Richmond were in cruise control the whole game. Carlton just suck.

Back