AFL - Round 1 - Other Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am most definitely old enough to have seen this type of thing back in the day lol

It's fairly iconic from back when mulitple stations shared the broadcasting rights and delayed telecasts were incredibly common.

Actually channel 7 persisted with delayed telecasts all the way until a couple of years back when they finally realised that the internet was a thing.

A big problem going forward for the Blues is Walsh and Dow's ball use. Both top end picks and both really unreliable by foot.

As for Martin. Great game. However he is extremely inconsistent. For what he's getting paid, he needs to deliver that every week. He won't..
Completely agree with Martin ... his game was nothing new, him doing it for a prolonged period is what will be.

I actually disagree with you regrading Walsh and Dow .... Walsh's ball use is going to be a big problem for sure, but the big problem with Dow is that he is a bog average player. Still young with plenty of time to improve, but I don't see where it will come from. He had 7 disposals last night. If he wasn't at Carlton, he'd be playing VFL and needing a big year (theoretically speaking atm of course.)

It's fairly iconic from back when mulitple stations shared the broadcasting rights and delayed telecasts were incredibly common.

Actually channel 7 persisted with delayed telecasts all the way until a couple of years back when they finally realised that the internet was a thing.
That and they were more or less forced with the new agreement with foxtel showing everything live. It was ridiculous that Friday night started at 8.30 because they wanted to get better homes and gardens in. This is also why AFL Sunday games went from a good time of 2.10 to the terrible 3.20 timeslot so channel 7 could go straight into the 6 o'clock news. I do remember in the 90s a lot of those games were never on tv. For some reason I remember seeing the highlights of Melbourne vs geelong around Easter in 98. I remember my dad saying hmm not many Melbourne highlights and when it came to not wanting to know the score I remembered seeing us lose by 98. Also that right on the tip of my tongue would be the backing music. The 90s sucked lol.

Geez crowds were highly underrated by me for watching a game of football, with zero atmosphere commentators sound horrible also. Bruce and BT getting excited over a bit of play just isn't the same without the people going nuts in the background. :(

Geez crowds were highly underrated by me for watching a game of football, with zero atmosphere commentators sound horrible also. Bruce and BT getting excited over a bit of play just isn't the same without the people going nuts in the background. :(

Honestly reckon the games are now better with sound off and some decent music.

It's interesting hearing the players screaming out on the field, but the terrible & commentating is absolutely magnified. I'd usually be watching with the first game of the season with a whole bunch of mates and not listening, but last night it was insane. Talking about Brownlows and just repeating the most cliched truisms in footy.

To be fair, they must feel the need to talk as the dead air and swearing players is pretty weird to listen to. It just highlights how little the 7 team understand about tactics or being able to call the game on its merits.

It's interesting hearing the players screaming out on the field, but the terrible & commentating is absolutely magnified. I'd usually be watching with the first game of the season with a whole bunch of mates and not listening, but last night it was insane. Talking about Brownlows and just repeating the most cliched truisms in footy.

To be fair, they must feel the need to talk as the dead air and swearing players is pretty weird to listen to. It just highlights how little the 7 team understand about tactics or being able to call the game on its merits.
Bruce legitimately said "Geez he's a superb kick Prestia" .... Dion ******* Prestia ... unreal.

I got the feeling the commentary team was a bit put out by it. They sounded dead awkward. Still, becoming slightly aware of the dribble they spew is nothing less than they deserve.

Bulldogs are probably one of the most over hyped teams this year. I think I saw the foxtel tipster mostly picked western bulldogs. Did they forget Collingwood have been one of the best teams in the last two years. So close to winning a premiership and could have made another gf appearance last year. Also have notice a lot of the expert tipsters have picked west coast for premiers. I know everyone is sick of Richmond but I think it's crazy not to pick Richmond after such a dominating gf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs are probably one of the most over hyped teams this year. I think I saw the foxtel tipster mostly picked western bulldogs. Did they forget Collingwood have been one of the best teams in the last two years. So close to winning a premiership and could have made another gf appearance last year. Also have notice a lot of the expert tipsters have picked west coast for premiers. I know everyone is sick of Richmond but I think it's crazy not to pick Richmond after such a dominating gf.

i got sucked in to the hype, 2 AFL multis for the weekend dogs in both of them....ohwell

The dogs are better off just saying one of their players has Corona virus and not coming out after half time.

Not even looking at the scoreboard , This is one of the most one sided games I’ve seen since Melbourne in the Neeld era
It's like watching a kids vs adults game. WB have been completely outplayed so far. Embarrassing really. I hope we're not this bad Sunday 🙁

Not even looking at the scoreboard , This is one of the most one sided games I’ve seen since Melbourne in the Neeld era
Even Bont looks second rate at the moment. This is a really concerning start.

Even Bont looks second rate at the moment. This is a really concerning start.
I noticed a few times in the first qrt, he was easily close enough to lay a tackle, or at least pressure a Collingwood player, and he just stood still and watched. Looked lazy and screamed a player who reads too much of his press thinking he doesn't need to do the hard stuff.

Lol, first goal from first kick to Cavara and they compl ignore the elbow bumps and hug the hell out of each other.

why do they bother to start with they are all tackling each other.

Lol, first goal from first kick to Cavara and they compl ignore the elbow bumps and hug the hell out of each other.

why do they bother to start with they are all tackling each other.
It's an optics thing I'd imagine. Plus, kids watching at home are dumb enough to ignore the obvious and start doing the same with their mates.

Happy the footy's back , the highlight so far for me was seeing the seagulls on top of the empty "G" grandstand wondering where all the food has gone . They looked confused as *. Pies and Tigers looking good , blues still s**t so the only surprise for me was how bad the Dogs were this game .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back